Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Potentially coming to Anchor & Hope Lane

All those lovely new customers for de cloob...

image

image

image

image

image
«134

Comments

  • Is the pub under threat because of this?
  • MrLargo said:

    Is the pub under threat because of this?

    No, it's the old ropeworks site to the east of Anchor & Hope Lane.

  • Most of those flats will be empty anyway. Unoccupied they're assets - occupied they can become problems. The property developers win; the owners win. And with the soaring prices, Charlton tenants and buyers lose.

    The gastropubs and cafes that MIGHT result from this are the only potential saving grace. But look at the Millennium Village - would you go out there?
  • Use to fish for eels down there as a kid.

    Changing the subject - Who the fuck buys all these properties? I said the same about 10 years back when I was working on one of the St Georges sites over by Canary Wharf and there must've been at least another 50 large developments gone up since then.....
  • ......hope it don't effect Maybanks Pier, landed some whoppers off there!
  • Singaporean dentists who get free a comodation at home.
  • Any road chaps. You probably know my 2nd favorite blog after CL is here (link to Charlton Riverside thread)

    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1962582
  • The market for overseas millionaires/billionaires buying property in London as an investment must surely be peaking? And Anchor and Hope lane is hardly that desirable a location, with all the warehouses, retail parks and Sainsbury's depot around there anyway, so I'd have thought they'd need to be relatively affordable to shift
  • Sponsored links:


  • Use to fish for eels down there as a kid.

    That's conjuring up a very Dickensian image.
  • Use to fish for eels down there as a kid.

    Changing the subject - Who the fuck buys all these properties? I said the same about 10 years back when I was working on one of the St Georges sites over by Canary Wharf and there must've been at least another 50 large developments gone up since then.....

    Russians and Chinese squillionnaires

    Most of it never reaches the uk investors.
  • Uboat said:

    image

    I was told stories of me gran-dad and his chums going in after em and although I have swam in the Thames, it weren't after eels.

  • Leuth said:

    The market for overseas millionaires/billionaires buying property in London as an investment must surely be peaking? And Anchor and Hope lane is hardly that desirable a location, with all the warehouses, retail parks and Sainsbury's depot around there anyway, so I'd have thought they'd need to be relatively affordable to shift

    But they don't need to shift. They'll lie there indefinitely - perhaps one day a better transport link might be opened (shuttle monorail to the Woolwich Crossrail stop?) and they'll be filled up, but this is for now largely irrelevant. They're London property. Who knows how much that'll be worth when the rest of Britain/Europe/the world goes to shit? The wealthy are terraforming the Earth to their absolute benefit - some of their punts don't work out, but if they secure enough of the good land, they'll be kings when the bad land dissolves into nothingness.

    Owning large amounts of property that is not lived in should be illegal, of course, but which Labour leader would be badass enough to say this? Your move, Jezza...
    why?

    Do you or your family live in properties that have an empty room?

  • MrOneLung said:

    Leuth said:

    The market for overseas millionaires/billionaires buying property in London as an investment must surely be peaking? And Anchor and Hope lane is hardly that desirable a location, with all the warehouses, retail parks and Sainsbury's depot around there anyway, so I'd have thought they'd need to be relatively affordable to shift

    But they don't need to shift. They'll lie there indefinitely - perhaps one day a better transport link might be opened (shuttle monorail to the Woolwich Crossrail stop?) and they'll be filled up, but this is for now largely irrelevant. They're London property. Who knows how much that'll be worth when the rest of Britain/Europe/the world goes to shit? The wealthy are terraforming the Earth to their absolute benefit - some of their punts don't work out, but if they secure enough of the good land, they'll be kings when the bad land dissolves into nothingness.

    Owning large amounts of property that is not lived in should be illegal, of course, but which Labour leader would be badass enough to say this? Your move, Jezza...
    why?

    Do you or your family live in properties that have an empty room?

    Notice the bit that said 'large amounts'? Oh, and sure, my family have a spare bedroom. Come the revolution, they're first on the sodding list, sure
  • Uboat said:

    image

    I bet Russell was pleased to be going to Coventry.
  • Use to ''fish for eels'' down there as a kid.

    ...and now we have Grinder

  • Sponsored links:


  • I'll take two
  • With the fall in the value of the Pound Sterling, I would sadly expect foreign investment in London property to increase - it's cheap as chips for them.
    Just go to Bicester Village to get an idea of how cheap we are now and how they're onto us as a cheap market in general.

    We urgently need to follow the Aussies before it's too late - assuming it's not too late, which it might well be.

    Take a look at this Link:

    http://www.exfin.com/australian-property-firb
  • purdis said:

    With the fall in the value of the Pound Sterling, I would sadly expect foreign investment in London property to increase - it's cheap as chips for them.
    Just go to Bicester Village to get an idea of how cheap we are now and how they're onto us as a cheap market in general.

    We urgently need to follow the Aussies before it's too late - assuming it's not too late, which it might well be.

    Take a look at this Link:

    http://www.exfin.com/australian-property-firb

    I refer you to a Genesis album from the early 1970s .. 'Selling England by the Pound' .. nothing new here .. everything is up for grabs .. companies, properties, railways, power companies .. you name it, we sell it and pay a heavy price later .. Australia has got it right
  • Good point well made, Purdis
  • it's okay everyone, the evening standard said that some properties that were on the market post Brexit in the £1-2m range had to knock a £100k or so off the asking price because of uncertainty. The market will stabilise itself
  • The London property market at the top end is a massive bubble, with speculators buying and selling on flats before they are even built. At some point the developers will run out of super rich people able to buy them OR thanks to some domestic crisis back home, the investors will need to repatriate all their money

    All housing bubbles end in a crash
  • And then you're left with these horrific high-rises
  • purdis said:

    With the fall in the value of the Pound Sterling, I would sadly expect foreign investment in London property to increase - it's cheap as chips for them.
    Just go to Bicester Village to get an idea of how cheap we are now and how they're onto us as a cheap market in general.

    We urgently need to follow the Aussies before it's too late - assuming it's not too late, which it might well be.

    Take a look at this Link:

    http://www.exfin.com/australian-property-firb

    I refer you to a Genesis album from the early 1970s .. 'Selling England by the Pound' .. nothing new here .. everything is up for grabs .. companies, properties, railways, power companies .. you name it, we sell it and pay a heavy price later .. Australia has got it right
    New changes in the U.K. Tax relief on Pensions is also having an effect - even though the Government have taken steps to dampen interest in second properties by way of duties. Imho, the duties are way too low and will not deter buyers who are redirecting what would have been pension funding into second properties or buy to let - this is also pushing prices up and reducing affordability of properties for our younger generations.
  • iainment said:

    Why? Because it distorts the housing market and turns it in to just a way of increasing the assets of the rich. It means that there are many Londoners who now have no hope of owning a house or flat anywhere near where they were raised.

    The housing situation is obscene. Sooner or later there's going to be a political and social backlash.
Sign In or Register to comment.