Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Skiing

Comments

• Posh shit!
  • Oakster said:

Most weekends - too bloody cold out here at the moment though - it's been a harsh winter so far! Not that much snow compared to usual a well. Loads of Brits over here in Banff though...

Lake Louise- coldest place I've ever skied. One day they told us they wouldn't open the lifts until the temperature got above -40.
    Crikey! :neutral:
  • Yup Val d'isere in March. Can't wait.
  • Gutted every time one of these threads turns up......didn't discover skiing until my early 40's.....what a silly sod, all those years I missed out on.
    Without doubt, the greatest times of my life have been spent on the slopes.
    Too old now of course and anyway, I snapped my Achilles about 12 years back(not whilst skiing I may add),which put a halt to it for ever.
    Huge sigh...shit I hate getting old.
  • La Plagne on Sunday :smile:
  • Oakster said:

Most weekends - too bloody cold out here at the moment though - it's been a harsh winter so far! Not that much snow compared to usual a well. Loads of Brits over here in Banff though...

Lake Louise- coldest place I've ever skied. One day they told us they wouldn't open the lifts until the temperature got above -40.
    -40* this morning when I left home this morning

* with the wind chill (only -30 otherwise)
  • Gutted every time one of these threads turns up......didn't discover skiing until my early 40's.....what a silly sod, all those years I missed out on.
    Too old now of course and anyway, I snapped my Achilles about 12 years back(not whilst skiing I may add),which put a halt to it for ever.

I'm so grateful that my old man took me when I was 13 (I still feel like I'm a s**t boarder though). He turned 60 last year and isn't coming with me this year as he doesn't think he's up to it anymore.
  • Never used an app when on the slopes but I know others who have, does this use data? Or will it be fine when abroad? Also, what's the damage on your battery when using it? Looks really good though.

Could you do cross-country skiing? It's ageless and fantastic exercise. There are tracks in the mountains, sometimes right at the top. Couple of years ago we were on a track at the top of mountains, on one side was the view of the Czech Republic, on the other Poland.

• Sponsored links:

• Good questions, same i had initially mate

All through gps so don't worry about data. U need to upload it at the end of the day when u get back to the comforts of free hotel wifi. It goes buggy if u have multiple days on the app without transferring to the cloud portal

I love the fact it can time your jumps lol.

See if u can beat my 107 km/h on skis!
  • Good questions, same i had initially mate

All through gps so don't worry about data. U need to upload it at the end of the day when u get back to the comforts of free hotel wifi. It goes buggy if u have multiple days on the app without transferring to the cloud portal

I love the fact it can time your jumps lol.

See if u can beat my 107 km/h on skis!

Sounds good to me, I'll download it, not sure I can beat 107km/h on my board though!!

Could you do cross-country skiing? It's ageless and fantastic exercise. There are tracks in the mountains, sometimes right at the top. Couple of years ago we were on a track at the top of mountains, on one side was the view of the Czech Republic, on the other Poland.

Think Classic Cross Country skiing would be very difficult with a compromised achiles - Skate technique would be better but is also a much harder technique to master. I am now a Nordic Skiing fanatic- such a great exercise & no crowds like you get on the slopes.
  • Oakster said:

Oakster said:

-40* this morning when I left home this morning

* with the wind chill (only -30 otherwise)
    And they tried to tell me it was unusually cold. Lying bastards.

Yup, I know exactly how you feel, nothing ( well maybe one thing ) beats skiing. I skied from age 21 to 45 before having a family put an end to it.
    Then 8 years ago as a 1 off I took my 14 year old son to Val d'isere. A never to be forgotten time.

Guess i was lucky because 2 years later was diagnosed with angina and emphysema. I did wonder why i was so slow on the piste! Now at 70 have no chance of going again - sigh.

• Prague; Your mountain ridge overlooking Czech rep and Poland. Have been there. In1966, remember the year because we left London the day after England won that cup of gold. Was on a youth hosteling walking holiday of the Polish high Tatra mountains, beautiful, i still remember.

Of course it was not the Czech republic then.
  • Off to Morzine in 10 days time for a week . Then off to Sauze d'oulx with the kids at half term.
    My favourite pastime !!! Absolutely love it.
  • I was in Madonna di Campiglio today. All runs open but not a lot of snow about. Apparently arrives in a big way on Friday. I hope so as a lot of resorts really struggling where I am.
  • edited January 2017

Prague; Your mountain ridge overlooking Czech rep and Poland. Have been there. In1966, remember the year because we left London the day after England won that cup of gold. Was on a youth hosteling walking holiday of the Polish high Tatra mountains, beautiful, i still remember.

Wow. Although if it was the Tatras, I think it must have been further east, what is now Slovakia, rather than the Czech part. Where I was is only 2 hours drive from Prague. Very old school, not much changed from 1966, I would say :-)

• Just back from Morzine. Avoriaz was open only so way too packed on the runs that were open. Sneaking back for a boys long weekend in March. Snow will be fine by then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to Bansko next week has anyone been?

Yes Valleyman, I went there a few years ago with the kids.
    Be prepared for a long queue for the main lift.
    If there are a few of you its worth a taxi mini bus up to miss the main lift.
  • Meribel for a week in half term with my two eldest and friends and their kids .
    Boozers so will be hard work !
  • Went in 94.

Couldn't do it so hated it.

Thought I would be Franz Klammer by day 3 but just didn't click for me.
    Blame the big heavy 6ft skis I hired.

• Prague; Your mountain ridge overlooking Czech rep and Poland. Have been there. In1966, remember the year because we left London the day after England won that cup of gold. Was on a youth hosteling walking holiday of the Polish high Tatra mountains, beautiful, i still remember.

Wow. Although if it was the Tatras, I think it must have been further east, what is now Slovakia, rather than the Czech part. Where I was is only 2 hours drive from Prague. Very old school, not much changed from 1966, I would say :-)

Near Zakopane? Lovely part of the world, remember staying in a lodge overnight close to Morskie Oko.
  • MrOneLung said:

Went in 94.

Couldn't do it so hated it.

Thought I would be Franz Klammer by day 3 but just didn't click for me.
    Blame the big heavy 6ft skis I hired.

The Skis that are used now are different to the mid 90's, they are shorter and carve easier. It's a shame you didn't keep at it.
    It usually takes 3 days of hard work, but once you get over that skiing gets easier and more enjoyable.
    I fully recommend you give it another go.
  • I was at Pyrenees 2000 at christmas for the day. Great for beginners- free access on the nursery slopes. Off to Andorra next month. I only started in my 40's and I am crap, but it's just great being up a mountain in the snow.
  • sam3110 said:

Prague; Your mountain ridge overlooking Czech rep and Poland. Have been there. In1966, remember the year because we left London the day after England won that cup of gold. Was on a youth hosteling walking holiday of the Polish high Tatra mountains, beautiful, i still remember.

Near Zakopane? Lovely part of the world, remember staying in a lodge overnight close to Morskie Oko.

That would be the Tatras where @Addicktedoldgit was, but where I was is way further West.

Generally if anyone suggests Czech ski resorts to you, ignore them. They exist, but are underfunded and overpriced for what they offer. Smart Czechs head to Austria.

Ditto, heading there for the first time for a long weekend 19-23rd January. Conditions look amazing :-)
  • sam3110 said:

I do remember Morskie Oko lake. Testing my memory, it means 'eye of the sea' ? and the legend is it is connected to the sea by underground tunnel?

Amazing the odd things you remember after 50 years. Anyway that lake is one of the most beautiful locations I have ever seen.

Note: As I said above we left London by train the day after England won the World cup beating W- Germany. When our train pulled into a main station in W-Germany, us young English guys started shouting our mouth's off to the Germans.

The result was predictable! Around 8 big fellas came into our carriage and pushed us around a bit. No serious harm done, just wounded pride!
    Will stop wolfing on now.