Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Two Hour Skills Session for Kids - help!!

Just found out that the guy we have employed to come tun 2 hour indoor coaching for the kids in our football club has bailed on us.

God help these kids as I have been volunteered to take his place.

Any suggestions for routines / resources / links that will help ,me keep 20 or so 8-12 year old working specifically on their footballing skills. There is no game as such - its more focused on developing specific skills - control / tackling / shooting etc

Comments

• Go on youtube, found that really useful for different sessions when I was coaching american football
  • whatever you do, if you are having a match at any point dont make the pitch too big, it encourages too many long balls and the better players to hang on to it.After years of coaching my boys team two and a half years ago, we decided to pay for a coach to come in, first thing he done was at the end of sessions when they wanted there little match was make the pitch very small, half the size of what we used to do, the passing should be become quicker and with less touches, 2 seasons on and 2 promotions on the team has progressed so much and I really enjoy the football they play,

a ) a good drill is split the boys into three teams mark out a area say half a pitch, play two teams against each other witihin this area no goals, just passing the ball to each player on their team, the remaining team are positioned around the outside of the area spread evenly and they can have the ball passed to them and must return it to a player of the team who has just passed it to them, the players on the outside can only have two touches.You can do this for a certain amount of time or if you have enough parents watching that can help, have it as a competition say the first team that completes 30 passes to each other wins, winner stays on.
  • edited January 2017
    http://www.insidesoccer.com

Used to find this site really useful when coaching. (although it looks like they have really minimalised it since)

used to subscribe and watch session from all acadamys around the world and adapt them to ability.

Should be a few free ones on this link to get you through.

On left hand side select team training, Drills and practices then tick 'Free Sessions' and then click filter.

Don't click the age group as you will get more choice and adapt them to ability

EDIT - Soz, looks like they have stopped showing the videos now for some reason, used to be a bible for coaching :(
  • If you are on facebook look at the group 'keep it on the deck' as the title suggests, the page is developed to focus on tactical and technical skill. It uses coaching videos from clubs all over the world for different ages. Have used a few in my drills and they have been very effective.
  • Brilliant thanks! @northstandsteve i really like the suggestion of the smaller pitch for the end of session game - that makes a lot of sense
  • You could get them doing some basic ball manipulation work (outside/inside touches of either foot then both, outside in and inside out stopovers, cruyff turns etc in a grid avoid crashing into each other - on YouTube there's a channel called Joner 1on1 who do a couple of ball manipulation videos - some are far too hard for that age group but the basic ones should be ok). You could also add a defender or 2 in there as a progression so they really have to get their heads up and look around. Maybe do some 1-1s that let them practice skills to beat players. A couple of games I use for that age group are kings court - 3/4 teams, 2 playing against each other, 1 goal winner stays on, players on the outside support with wall passes. Another is making a circle field, 3/4 teams, each with a goal that they have to defend and can score in any other goal - 2 balls in play at once, really gets them looking around, communicating and thinking about whether to attack or if they need to defend their goal.
    If you're really stuck, let me know and I'll happily fire you over some resources I use.
  • edited January 2017
    http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/soccer-drills/goalkeeping/basic-goalkeeper-training-footwork-and-positioning/

Found this website. No idea as to whether or not it is any good but might give you a startpoint.

EDIT: I was trying to find a book on goalkeeping I know of geared to kids but found this site. It covers all skills not just goalkeeping.
  • There are two key phrases that you'll need to use repeatedly on the pitch to carry yourself off as an experienced professional head coach:

1. Spread out! (gesticulate wildly).
    2. Smile... play with a smile! (make smile gesture with your hands and face)
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't realize you were in Canada, whereabouts?
  • Make sure you have enough decent balls, if planning anything that involves pairing up/groups . you will lose their interest if a couple of them are using a crappy old flat ball and everyone else knocking about new balls
  • whatever you do, if you are having a match at any point dont make the pitch too big, it encourages too many long balls and the better players to hang on to it.After years of coaching my boys team two and a half years ago, we decided to pay for a coach to come in, first thing he done was at the end of sessions when they wanted there little match was make the pitch very small, half the size of what we used to do, the passing should be become quicker and with less touches, 2 seasons on and 2 promotions on the team has progressed so much and I really enjoy the football they play,

a ) a good drill is split the boys into three teams mark out a area say half a pitch, play two teams against each other witihin this area no goals, just passing the ball to each player on their team, the remaining team are positioned around the outside of the area spread evenly and they can have the ball passed to them and must return it to a player of the team who has just passed it to them, the players on the outside can only have two touches.You can do this for a certain amount of time or if you have enough parents watching that can help, have it as a competition say the first team that completes 30 passes to each other wins, winner stays on.

Currently doing my Level One @northstandsteve I'm going to use this one on Saturday!
  • How old are the kids? I think making anything you do competetive stops them getting bored. Always have a match at the end!
  • edited January 2017
    Get the tallest lad to stand at one end of the pitch and get the other kids to practice hoofing balls at his head from the other end of the pitch.

First one to cause a mild brain injury to the big lad up front wins.

#nononsense
  • Get the tallest lad to stand at one end of the pitch and get the other kids to practice hoofing balls at his head from the other end of the pitch.

First one to cause a mild brain injury to the big lad up front wins.

#nononsense

Big Sam made a living out of that
  • LoOkOuT said:

There are two key phrases that you'll need to use repeatedly on the pitch to carry yourself off as an experienced professional head coach:

1. Spread out! (gesticulate wildly).
    2. Smile... play with a smile! (make smile gesture with your hands and face)

And unless things have changed since my lad played football you need to scream "get up" when the kids are back defending their own goal and "get back" when they are attacking and lose the ball.