Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parkrun

Does anyone do this? Personally do the Tonbridge Parkrun. This Saturday will only be my third one. Really enjoy it.

There's an older fella who does it in his Charlton shirt. Was wondering if he posts on here?

Comments

• Just been sat with the CEO in a meeting.

Occasionally at Dartford and Shorne.
  • I do Danson Park most Saturday mornings when I am not too hangover
  • Bushy Park now and again. Great event. Average of 1,000 runners each week at Bushy.
  • Shorne Country Park is our fave, Avery Hill Park also. Danson Park for a harder challenge.
  • Have marshalled Danson Park 3 times with my club Plumstead Runners but not actually done a Park Run before.
    The trail parts running through the woods just don't appeal to me. Give me a 5k road run any day.
  • edited January 2017
    Heard of these but know nothing about them.

Is there a minimum ability / time expectation or could fat gits in their sixties with a bit of arthritis have a bash on a good pain free day given that it would be more 'walk' than 'run'?

I understand most are c 5K.
  • Done shorne a few times. Nice little off-road course. Is a great range of runners so suitable for pretty much any level of runner.
  • LenGlover said:

Heard of these but know nothing about them.

Is there a minimum ability / time expectation or could fat gits in their sixties with a bit of arthritis have a bash on a good pain free day given that it would be more 'walk' than 'run'?

I understand most are c 5K.

This is the beauty of the Parkrun. It is open to all ages and abilities. At Bushy the fastest time is usually around 15 minutes (!) and the slowest is approaching an hour. All are welcome though, it's more of a community thing.
  • its my target to get myself fit enough to do one of these 5k park runs by the end of Feb. Will be either Avery Hill or Danson.

Drove past Danson last month and couldn't believe the amount of people doing it. Great concept
  • Be good if we could have some sort of Charlton life league on there.
  • Sponsored links:

• its my target to get myself fit enough to do one of these 5k park runs by the end of Feb. Will be either Avery Hill or Danson.

Drove past Danson last month and couldn't believe the amount of people doing it. Great concept

I love the concept. That's what makes me go back rather than the desire to get fitter. Tonbridge had over 600 last sat.
  • I've done the Bromley (Norman Park) run four times as early training for London Marathon. Definitely being surrounded by other runners inspires you to run your fastest times. Have knocked nearly four minutes from first run to fourth. Open to all ages and abilities - very well organised, great workout at 9am on a Saturday morning!
  • Grandson ( and his mum) do either Eastbourne (where they live) or shorne park (when they visit us) he says he prefers shorne park.
  • Did a few last year for my London marathon training.

Now retired.
  • I've done 88 now. Fortunately have 4 Parkruns within 5 miles so can rotate around them depending on weather and how I'm feeling.

It's totally inclusive, so no need to worry about minimum ability - some people walk the whole distance.

If you want some moral support, I'll come down and run with you whatever one you choose, as long as I dont have Izzy with me that weekend.
  • Deal. Couple of fags down our socks and we'll nip in the Rock Gardens to replicate school cross country :-)
  • Deal. Couple of fags down our socks and we'll nip in the Rock Gardens to replicate school cross country :-)

Hahaha so true :)

Who will play the role of PJ with his clipboard at the finishing line?!
  • The one at Hilly Fields in Brockley has a little group who walk it - they're mostly older women, but they clock in about 45 minutes, not far behind the slowest runners.

I've never been a runner, but I walked that Parkrun last October when I was recovering from a broken ankle - it was unexpectedly exhausting (and the Ladies Who Walk left me for dust) but good fun and did me a world of good.

The Parkrun website - https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ - has results for each course, if you want an idea of how you'd do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Did Danson a few times last year before hamstrng went pop. Just about up to 5K on road again this year so will be doing Danson again soon.
  • Walk and cycle round avery hill park very often (used to run round last year) and always thought about doing the park run, but don't like the route of 3 times round and running across the grass along the tree line, plus doing the 'hill' from the gates on the main road up to the building that's the worst bit and I dread it even doing 2 laps of the path. I know it's psychological, as it's not even that bad a hill, but not sure I could do that 'hill' 3 times and finish before lunchtime!

The best bit of that park on foot and bike is past the tree line across the stream and against the football trainding fields. Which is missed out on park run!
  • never ever heard of this, just clicked the link - might do the Danson one.
  • I do my local one in Newent Gloucestershire
  • I would like to do it but too scared as I don't run. Could jog a little. Shame the Greenwich one isnt in Greenwich park
  • There's no "Run to the Beat" this year.
    Genuinely fancied another crack at that. :(
  • Have done both Norman Park and Avery Hill and marshalled at both.
    Avery Hill is the preferred run, and Suzi's right, they don't use enough of the park. I think that has something to do with the dog walkers.

Always found Avery Hill well organized, numbers were in their 50's when we started, but I gather now it's well over 250 each week.

• just got back into running (outdoors) combination fields woods roads 7m is my PB. my running buddy introduced me to a great app "mapmyride" tracks your run or cycle and gives stats plus you can invite others in to see your activity and see theirs. May not be every ones cup tee but works for me as a motivation
  • until NYE I hadn't run one in 4 months due to a hernia but I'm now on 167 park runs at 78 different venues. probably try to get up to 100 different ones by the end of the year