Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV Appearance Money

It was pointed out that a team like Sutton would have earned £115000, if their game had been televised. What do we reckon, payroll sorted out for a couple of months?
As Charlie Austin said " what do the Beeb do. Show WHU v Man City. Welcome to the magic of the FA Cup"
How much money do the Premier Clubs need. Greed with a capital G.

Comments

• More people watch the Premier League games.

Broadcasters are just choosing the games that will get the most viewers, it's why Man United's last 55 FA cup games have been on tv.
  • i was saying the exact same over the weekend, although its about audience i will hold my hands up i wouldnt watch sutton but would watch man city west ham, i watch shit football most weekends so nice for a change :wink:
  • http://www.totalsportek.com/money/fa-cup-prize-money/

£67,500 from just the game being on the TV... Its sort of understandable BT Sport showing big games because they've got to rely upon people paying for their Services so need to offer good matches - for the BBC though its inexcusable
  • edited January 2017
    Yet the BBC have past history with their attitude towards matches...

Remember Bradford and their run after beating Chelsea, they got a draw against Sunderland and once again both TV Companies ignored them. (Instead choosing West Brom v West Ham as one of the TV games)

It was only because they got to the Quarter-Finals (meaning every game is televised) that they were finally shown but then got given a rubbish Kick-Off (12:45) when they were playing Reading whilst a Birmingham Derby (Aston Villa v WBA) in the Cup was the late Kick-Off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_FA_Cup#Broadcasting_rights
  • It's a balancing act. Quite right to show West Ham vs Man City, that's a big game.

Man U vs Reading and Spurs vs Villa might have been interesting if the lesser sides were at home but they weren't. Two total non-events, would have watched Sutton vs Wimbledon over either of those.
  • In the early rounds, I'd prefer to watch teams like Sutton than the likes of Man C
  • Man C are not int he early rounds...
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38574753 - Blimey... Didnt see them covering the Lincoln v Ipswich game... But seriously: 17th Non-League team to be covered by the BBC TV this season?
  • Depends what constitutes 'coverage' I guess ?!?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Man C are not int he early rounds...

The last round then....
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38574753 - Blimey... Didnt see them covering the Lincoln v Ipswich game... But seriously: 17th Non-League team to be covered by the BBC TV this season?

I assume BT Sport get the first pick of games as they've chosen to show Plymouth v Liverpool
  • Personally I would rather watch Sutton v Wimbledon (or Lincoln v Ipswich) than Man Utd dick Reading (or Liverpool dick Plymouth - oh... hang on...). However, the BBC get criticised for showing WHU v Man City by the very same people who moan that all the have left of their roster is International tiddly-winks and extreme ironing so they should be closed down immediately. Remember BT sport showed the Peterborough replay in preference to us v MK because the Posh (or Notts) were to be playing Chelsea, and then didn't bother showing that game anyway. We also get "treated" to their little scouse favourites playing Plymouth, twice...
  • Unless its a really big tie (i.e. Man City v Man Utd or Arsenal v Chelsea etc.) the big teams shouldnt be shown until the 5th Round!!
  • I watched half of the west ham game till it was 3-0...none of the others as they were all predictable..why was Man Utd v Reading chosen.
  • edited January 2017

I watched half of the west ham game till it was 3-0...none of the others as they were all predictable..why was Man Utd v Reading chosen.

Petition signed by 20k Charlton fans who wanted to see their former heroes SuperYann and Harriotts on fire in action :wink:
  • Sutton will be getting something as the game was shown live abroad, not sure how much though.

Oh well, that's another extension on a players house paid for.
  • MrLargo said:

It's a balancing act. Quite right to show West Ham vs Man City, that's a big game.

Man U vs Reading and Spurs vs Villa might have been interesting if the lesser sides were at home but they weren't. Two total non-events, would have watched Sutton vs Wimbledon over either of those.

Agreed, where the bigger team is away, then potentially it might be interesting, but not at home. It's like when we played away at Spurs and Fulham when last in L1. Great days out for us, but not serious contests for a neutral watching on TV.

What's the problem with that?

Extra £72k in the coffers. Who would you prefer that to go to? Burnley? Palace?!?
  • Boom said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38574753 - Blimey... Didnt see them covering the Lincoln v Ipswich game... But seriously: 17th Non-League team to be covered by the BBC TV this season?

Extra £72k in the coffers. Who would you prefer that to go to? Burnley? Palace?!?
    Eh? - I'm delighted that they're showing the Lincoln game as thought they'd show Palace!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Boom said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38574753 - Blimey... Didnt see them covering the Lincoln v Ipswich game... But seriously: 17th Non-League team to be covered by the BBC TV this season?

Easy Tiger.

I've told you before. Engage brain before posting.
  • Boom said:

Eh? - I'm delighted that they're showing the Lincoln game as thought they'd show Palace!!
    Fair do's! Read it the other way!
  • Interesting discussion. Personally I think it's a real shame the BBC chose to shun non-league ties in favour of games like West Ham-Man City and Aston Villa-Tottenham. Yes, of course TV companies worry about ratings, but the BBC isn't reliant on advertiser funding like the commercial channels are, and it would be great to see more games like Sutton-Wimbledon or Barrow-Rochdale broadcast in future. Not just because money which is peanuts to Premier League clubs can make a real difference to clubs outside the EFL, but as games like that provide the viewer with something completely different and help showcase what goes on at clubs lower down the pyramid. The BBC Charter renewal talks about "distinctive content", and games involving non-league clubs are surely exactly that.
  • Zaki said:

Interesting discussion. Personally I think it's a real shame the BBC chose to shun non-league ties in favour of games like West Ham-Man City and Aston Villa-Tottenham. Yes, of course TV companies worry about ratings, but the BBC isn't reliant on advertiser funding like the commercial channels are, and it would be great to see more games like Sutton-Wimbledon or Barrow-Rochdale broadcast in future. Not just because money which is peanuts to Premier League clubs can make a real difference to clubs outside the EFL, but as games like that provide the viewer with something completely different and help showcase what goes on at clubs lower down the pyramid. The BBC Charter renewal talks about "distinctive content", and games involving non-league clubs are surely exactly that.

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some days ago...
  • I don't care once we're out.
    Which comes earlier and earlier under Duchatelet.
  • The FA Cup TV money should be shared by the non-premier league clubs still left in the competition.
    Premier league clubs get too much money already and they take the piss out of the FA Cup by fielding their reserve sides.
    The gap between the premier league and the rest of the divisions is destroying football
  • Zaki said:

Interesting discussion. Personally I think it's a real shame the BBC chose to shun non-league ties in favour of games like West Ham-Man City and Aston Villa-Tottenham. Yes, of course TV companies worry about ratings, but the BBC isn't reliant on advertiser funding like the commercial channels are, and it would be great to see more games like Sutton-Wimbledon or Barrow-Rochdale broadcast in future. Not just because money which is peanuts to Premier League clubs can make a real difference to clubs outside the EFL, but as games like that provide the viewer with something completely different and help showcase what goes on at clubs lower down the pyramid. The BBC Charter renewal talks about "distinctive content", and games involving non-league clubs are surely exactly that.

Yeah, I did see your comment. I'm not saying the BBC should shun programmes with the highest ratings and am not one of those who think it should ditch Strictly Come Dancing (if BBC viewing figures dropped, which they would if they let popular shows like that go elsewhere, it would be more vulnerable to the licence fee getting reduced etc. – especially under a Tory government). But it surely can't do much harm to show a couple more ties involving non-league teams easch year. Obviously they need to strike a balance between "distinctive content" and programmes which are less so but get the most viewers, but I don't see how showing the odd Lincoln-Ipswich style tie would give ammo to those who think the BBC "should be closed down immediately".
  • Boom said:

Boom said:

Fair do's! Read it the other way!
    So did I, especially the bit after "seriously" :-)

The 3rd round suffered from a lack of decent ties, like AFC Wimbledon vs Liverpool from 2 years ago. Part of the problem is that many lower ranked PL, and promotion chasing Championship teams don't take it seriously, so you can end up with a "shock" that isn't really a shock because the higher team stuck out a team of kids

In a funny way WHU vs Man City did end up as the tie of the round, 2 strong teams selected (on paper) and a humiliating result!
  • Zaki said:

Zaki said:

Yeah, I did see your comment. I'm not saying the BBC should shun programmes with the highest ratings and am not one of those who think it should ditch Strictly Come Dancing (if BBC viewing figures dropped, which they would if they let popular shows like that go elsewhere, it would be more vulnerable to the licence fee getting reduced etc. – especially under a Tory government). But it surely can't do much harm to show a couple more ties involving non-league teams easch year. Obviously they need to strike a balance between "distinctive content" and programmes which are less so but get the most viewers, but I don't see how showing the odd Lincoln-Ipswich style tie would give ammo to those who think the BBC "should be closed down immediately".
    Because to those people anything the BBC does that isn't Strictly-like in its ratings pull, is elitist and pandering to the chattering classes in Islington. The fact that it's football won't stymie their pre-set agenda. I agree with you to be honest, and I'm glad they are showing the Lincoln game.

It's BT who piss me off, for reasons given. I don't think many people are going to cancel their subscription if they don't show the usual suspects in a cup match.