Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welcome Nathan Byrne (signed on loan to end of season)

Appeared as a post on the Jan transfer thread, but thought I'd start a different thread to welcome him. Welcome Nathan, no pressure, make yourself a Charlton legend by beating Millwall

Comments

• edited January 2017

Wing back/winger on loan from Wigan
  • Score Saturday and beat millwank and you can be crap for the rest of the season and still be a hero
  • I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that's it for incomings now. Unless anyone else leaves
  • Welcome Nathan. I'm pleased and optimistic that you'll be a success.
  • cabbles said:

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that's it for incomings now. Unless anyone else leaves

There will be at least one more midfielder in, we've looked at the Udders lad and Reeves at MK, I don't think Byrne has signed instead of someone like that.
  • cabbles said:

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that's it for incomings now. Unless anyone else leaves

Ah, but you must have missed what Robbo said. One player in before Millwall and a BIG MONEY transfer in by he end of the window.

Big money to me means quality striker!!!

Your probably right though. That said, I think he has done well both in quality of player and getting them in early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Score Saturday and beat millwank and you can be crap for the rest of your lifeand still be a hero

• Pleased with this one
  • Welcome aboard nathan. Anyone that comes to the valley will know what the reputation is. he's probably just here to get fit and get a 'proper' move. Good luck and hoping he proves his worth better that this.
  • sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

There will be at least one more midfielder in, we've looked at the Udders lad and Reeves at MK, I don't think Byrne has signed instead of someone like that.
    Redrobo said:

cabbles said:

Ah, but you must have missed what Robbo said. One player in before Millwall and a BIG MONEY transfer in by he end of the window.

Your probably right though. That said, I think he has done well both in quality of player and getting them in early.
    I don't mean to be overly negative but this is Roland's Charlton. I know you say KR has said one more but I truly believe Lookman and Fox are covering this season's losses. KR has got 2 loans and 2 perm. Watt is now back as well, I can't see anyone bothering with him if he failed to make an impression in the toilet that is Scottish league football. I think we're done
  • Looks a good player from the little bit I've seen of him, and those who have seen him more speak very highly of him. I think we'll get one more, a #10, and we seem to be chasing Reeves and Dempsey. I feel like we could do with one more goalscorer, either as the 10 (I don't think Reeves or Dempsey have scored loads) or as a winger. But I'd say Fox and Lookman were always going to go given the offers on the table, and to this point we've done well to move to replace them.
  • Sounds really good.
    I can't help wondering why he can't get a game in a struggling Wigan team. Hopefully it will work out all round and he becomes permanent.
    Loans seldom get dancing in the stands.
  • I imagine the other player KR wants is the number 10 he's talked about. Roland will probably he has Aribo, Dasilva and Byrne who can all play there. If he wants a striker he'll probably say you have Watt.

If we get any more (assuming no one leaves) I think that'll be the first window under RD where we've got every signed players in every position the manager has been after.
  • Decent player, especially in this league. Hopefully we make it permanent.
  • Never heard of him but from the obligatory YouTube looks promising
  • edited January 2017
    sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

I think KR would certainly like one or two more, but it's hard to get good players for sensible money in January, especially if they are already playing regularly somewhere.

I think they'll be trying to get a midfielder and a striker in but may not be able to. Personally, I'd rather wait until the summer and get the right players in rather than rush into a less wanted signing this month.

MK Dons may still opt to receive a fee for Reeves this month though rather than lose him for nothing in July, but he'll be a late window signing if it happens.

Either way, I personally think Crofts, Jacko, Ulvestad, JFC, Konsa, Aribo, Holmes, Chicksen, Dasilva, Botaka and Byrne should be enough to see us through the rest of the season and would be a pretty strong and balanced midfield squad for this level. Factor in that Watt, Ajose and KAG may be used in one or more of the advanced midfield roles too, and we have Ba still kicking around if we get really desperate, and we should have more than enough depth.

Personally I'm more worried about attack now. Watt might be an option, but I don't think Ajose can play lone striker. I don't know if Novak has the mobility for it either, he certainly doesn't the whole time he is injured. Hanlan is probably next best suited but he is very young and raw so we look very dependent on Big Mag. He's been very dependable until now, but one injury to him could really screw us over.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017

sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

I think KR would certainly like one or two more, but it's hard to get good players for sensible money in January, especially if they are already playing regularly somewhere.

I think they'll be trying to get a midfielder and a striker in but may not be able to. Personally, I'd rather wait until the summer and get the right players in rather than rush into a less wanted signing this month.

MK Dons may still opt to receive a fee for Reeves this month though rather than lose him for nothing in July, but he'll be a late window signing if it happens.

Either way, I personally think Crofts, Jacko, Konsa, Aribo, Holmes, Dasilva, Botaka and Byrne should be enough to see us through the rest of the season and would be a pretty strong and balanced midfield squad for this level. Factor in that Watt, Ajose and KAG may be used in one or more of the advanced midfield roles too, and we have Ba still kicking around if we get really desperate, and we should have more than enough depth.

Personally I'm more worried about attack now. Watt might be an option, but I don't think Ajose can play lone striker. I don't know if Novak has the mobility for it either, he certainly doesn't the whole time he is injured. Hanlan is probably next best suited but he is very young and raw so we look very dependent on Big Mag. He's been very dependable until now, but one injury to him could really screw us over.
    I was thinking about that too. I don't think Ajose can play in the lone striker role as it currently stands. That said, at MKD KR player Agard (a more all-around forward) wide right and Nicky Maynard, more of a poacher and somewhat similar to Ajose, through the middle at times. It might mean that Magennis could be played wide with Ajose through the middle, or more likely, if Magennis is out Novak wide and Ajose through the middle. Otherwise, I just don't see where Ajose fits in. He didn't really fit in with Slade's style of play, 4-4-2 going direct back to front, which should have worked better for him. And I honestly don't know how he fits in to anything else.

It sounds like Hanlan and Umerah are both quite raw. Hanlan has the physicality from the sounds of things, but it requires so much strength, intelligence, and technique to play in that role in this league where you're going up against two bruising, often experienced center halves. It seems as though KR might rate Umerah ahead of Hanlan, which I think many did before Umerah got hurt in pre-season and Hanlan scored a couple goals in pre-season then had a couple decent outings in the first bit of the season. If we had two solid options for the lone striker role in front of them, I wouldn't mind them combined as the third option, but I don't know that we do, which leads on to:

Novak may be an option but he's looked about a stone overweight since he first turned up to pre-season, and it doesn't really look as though he's lost it. Looks can absolutely be deceiving, but he's a player who the Hudds fan on here said was known for his hassling and harrying and it doesn't sound like he's done much of that this year (though that may be down to Slade's system).

I will say it for the millionth time, this is why you need a Director of Football (or some sort of equivalent), so that when you lose a manager, his signings aren't made redundant because a new manager comes in and wants to play a different formation and style. There has to be continuity.

Also, January really isn't intended for building a squad. To the credit of the manager, the scouts we have, and the SMT to a degree, we seem to be trying to not only fill holes but make upgrades within the squad. It's hard, and we are making up for the shortcomings of the SMT and Slade in the summer.
  • edited January 2017
    SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

Either way, I personally think Crofts, Jacko, Konsa, Aribo, Holmes, Dasilva, Botaka and Byrne should be enough to see us through the rest of the season and would be a pretty strong and balanced midfield squad for this level. Factor in that Watt, Ajose and KAG may be used in one or more of the advanced midfield roles too, and we have Ba still kicking around if we get really desperate, and we should have more than enough depth.

I was thinking about that too. I don't think Ajose can play in the lone striker role as it currently stands. That said, at MKD KR player Agard (a more all-around forward) wide right and Nicky Maynard, more of a poacher and somewhat similar to Ajose, through the middle at times. It might mean that Magennis could be played wide with Ajose through the middle, or more likely, if Magennis is out Novak wide and Ajose through the middle. Otherwise, I just don't see where Ajose fits in. He didn't really fit in with Slade's style of play, 4-4-2 going direct back to front, which should have worked better for him. And I honestly don't know how he fits in to anything else.

It sounds like Hanlan and Umerah are both quite raw. Hanlan has the physicality from the sounds of things, but it requires so much strength, intelligence, and technique to play in that role in this league where you're going up against two bruising, often experienced center halves. It seems as though KR might rate Umerah ahead of Hanlan, which I think many did before Umerah got hurt in pre-season and Hanlan scored a couple goals in pre-season then had a couple decent outings in the first bit of the season. If we had two solid options for the lone striker role in front of them, I wouldn't mind them combined as the third option, but I don't know that we do, which leads on to:

Novak may be an option but he's looked about a stone overweight since he first turned up to pre-season, and it doesn't really look as though he's lost it. Looks can absolutely be deceiving, but he's a player who the Hudds fan on here said was known for his hassling and harrying and it doesn't sound like he's done much of that this year (though that may be down to Slade's system).

I will say it for the millionth time, this is why you need a Director of Football (or some sort of equivalent), so that when you lose a manager, his signings aren't made redundant because a new manager comes in and wants to play a different formation and style. There has to be continuity.

Also, January really isn't intended for building a squad. To the credit of the manager, the scouts we have, and the SMT to a degree, we seem to be trying to not only fill holes but make upgrades within the squad. It's hard, and we are making up for the shortcomings of the SMT and Slade in the summer.
    That would be the ideal solution forthis month, imo too.

I forgot JFC and Chickens off my first list of midfielders too, so we really do have a lot of options now to fill the 5 midfield/wing berths.

Edit, missed Ulvestad too.
  • SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

That would be the ideal solution forthis month, imo too.

I forgot JFC and Chickens off my first list of midfielders too, so we really do have a lot of options now to fill the 5 midfield/wing berths.

Edit, missed Ulvestad too.
    If only we signed midfielders as quickly as you remembered them ;).

In terms of numbers in midfield (including wingers), I think we're pretty good--we're getting to the point where we have two players for every position, with maybe the exception of a 10--JFC, Aribo, and Holmes can all play there, but it seems that only for Aribo would it be considered his first choice position.

My concern with that area is more around the quality. I think Dasilva is a good signing in that he's probably on low wages and commanded no fee (Chelsea might even be paying his wages), but he is unproven. Holmes is coming back from a serious injury, is 30 (or 29), and is a player who gets kicked a lot. Byrne is coming off a difficult couple years (admittedly in a division above), and Botaka hasn't set the world alight when starting, yet. Only Holmes seems a consistent goal threat, which will put a lot of pressure on others in the team to chip in with goals. JFC's quality from dead balls should lead to more goals--both from dead balls and hopefully free kicks which should hopefully help.
  • edited January 2017
    Nathan is very good at football.
  • rikofold said:

So was Ajose...

Ajose still could be. Far too early to write him off.
    I think he has looked pretty pants so far but he is a poacher and we haven't exactly been raining down crosses into the box so far this season. Maybe these pacey players KR has signed such as Byrne will do that job.
  • cabbles said:

sam3110 said:

cabbles said:

Redrobo said:

cabbles said:

I don't mean to be overly negative but this is Roland's Charlton. I know you say KR has said one more but I truly believe Lookman and Fox are covering this season's losses. KR has got 2 loans and 2 perm. Watt is now back as well, I can't see anyone bothering with him if he failed to make an impression in the toilet that is Scottish league football. I think we're done
    In my opinion you are either being excessively negative or it's your desire to be excessively negative come what may.