Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

tribute bands

Apologies if a repeat. I've never considered a show before but, many of my favourites are no more so what to do, many will hate my choice but I've booked to go and see, the Australian pink Floyd, obviously pf will never tour I'm thinking of the Gilmour, Waters, Wright combo especially, venue MK theatre in October, should anyone go from on here let's have a beer, two of us going and can't wait.

Comments

• Seen Aussie Floyd many times and they are absolutely brilliant - lead guitarist Damian Darlington is pure class. You'll love it.

My son bought me tickets for Christmas (and he expects me to take him!!) to see them in October but I think it's at the Liverpool Echo. VIP job - front row, meet the band and all that. Bless him :)
  • Hope you have a great night.
  • Sorry - scrub the Damian Darlington bit - I forgot he left and formed Brit Floyd. Steve Mac plays lead with the Aussies (founder member) and he's amazing too.

Not many tribute bands sell-out arenas like they do.
  • Apologies if a repeat. I've never considered a show before but, many of my favourites are no more so what to do, many will hate my choice but I've booked to go and see, the Australian pink Floyd, obviously pf will never tour I'm thinking of the Gilmour, Waters, Wright combo especially, venue MK theatre in October, should anyone go from on here let's have a beer, two of us going and can't wait.

this tour is being heavily punted on Planet Rock .. as you write, I am sure that many folk will go and see them as the 'original' P F will never tour again .. thinking of going along to one myself

as an aside .. Many years ago I went to see the Aussie ABBA at a packed Earls Court .. even with eyes open, they were superb, I would defy anyone there to tell the difference 'tween original and devoted copyists
  • Great to hear others are interested, on the basis I enjoy the show the next step will be try and see them in Oz, if possible.
  • There's an ACDC tribute Band (Thunderstruck) playing at the Beaverwood in Chislehurst tonight. Haven't seen them but have read good things about them, may pop along.

• They are very good band and have seen them a couple of times. I like going to see these tribute bands. Whooligans were great as was Letz Zep and lime house lizzy.
  • Limehouse Lizzy are a great band! Thin Lizzy are one of my favorites and I saw the classic line-up back in the day, so I know what the real Thin Lizzy sounded like.

Some tributes aren't so good. We recently saw ABBA Forever - apparently the UK's number one tribute to ABBA - thought they were poor to be honest. Took a Swedish friend who confirmed that the accents were fake (not surprisingly).

Some muso friends are vehemently opposed to the concept of tribute bands, whereas I think it provides work for musicians, which can't be a bad thing. As a guitarist myself, I know that it is not the "easy option" - trying to play like someone else (instead of playing as "yourself") is quite a skill.
  • There's a great documentary on tribute bands, including the aforementioned Limehouse Lizzy, on the iPlayer. It's part of the Arena series.

Arena, Into the Limelight - Tribute Bands: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0081h5z
  • edited January 2017
    Seen From the Jam many times and last year Absolute Bowie at the Beaverwood club. Played tennis against the key board player in the Bowie tribute band.

Both bands well worth seeing.

Saw Lizzy in 1979. Think their tribute band are at the Beaverwood club soon? Edit playing on 16th February. May check them out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies if a repeat. I've never considered a show before but, many of my favourites are no more so what to do, many will hate my choice but I've booked to go and see, the Australian pink Floyd, obviously pf will never tour I'm thinking of the Gilmour, Waters, Wright combo especially, venue MK theatre in October, should anyone go from on here let's have a beer, two of us going and can't wait.

You will love them assuming you are a PF fan. Seen them a lot as I know the bass player well. Even though I have no ear for (or interest in) music the show itself is so spectacular that you can't help but enjoy it.

There are a couple of good Youface or facetube (or whatever these things are called) videos I'm told. Never seen them myself coz 1. as I said have absolutely zero interest in music and 2. can't be arsed to work out how these things work.
  • I'll look out for him now, yes I'm big fan and really looking forward to seeing them.
  • Seen the following on quite a few occasions:-

Absolute Bowie at the Beaverwood Club - excellent.

The Bowie Experience & also T.Rextasy at The Orchard Threatre - both are excellent.
  • There's a couple of smiths tributes I wouldn't mind seeing.
  • Saw the Musical Box recently... must be the best tribute band for early Genesis down to the finest detail
  • I've seen Absolute Bowie 3 times - great fun (and they don't just play the greatest hits).
  • I'm going to keep tabs on this thread. Looking to create an event in the summer and we may go the tribute route. Keep posting.
  • Queen Bee at The Venue...
  • Do these bands try to look like the originals as well as sound like them?
  • I saw The Bootleg Beatles nearly 30 years ago, they've been going far far longer then the actual band! Indeed the last remaining member only left a couple of years ago
  • Sponsored links:

The tribute bands I've mentioned do.
  • Just remembered that Aladdin Sane are another Bowie tribute band I've seen.

I once saw a Queen tribute band at a beer festival. Musically they weren't bad, though the singer clearly wasn't a good as Freddie (no disgrace). Visually, they had the right outfits and hair to be believable! False tache and chest wig for Freddie, curly wig for Brian etc
  • Seen several Jam tributes over the years.

No Way Sis were quite funny when I saw them.

Used to go to some pub think in Putney that used to have tribute bands on most weekends but this was years ago.
  • Gaye Byker's on Acid have a tribute band called Lesbian Dope Heads on Mopeds
  • The Cavern Club in Liverpool have a house Beatles tribute band who are excellent. Used to have a client there and always used to time my trips when they were playing.
  • Aussie Floyd don't really try to "impersonate" Pink Floyd.

They just play their music and put on a good show. If you don't like Floyd, you probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

But it doesn't really matter who's playing (so long as they're good!) - listening to Comfortably Numb played live with a few thousand other people is always a great experience!
  • not a tribute band per se .. The story .... (::>) .. years ago I walked into my then local in East Ham .. a really good c&w band was playing round the corner on the stage, out of sight of the public bar .. got a beer, walked round to the main bar .. AND .. all the six musos in the c&w band were Orientals, Chinese or Filipinos, whatever .. they were superb, dressed in buckskin and denim, doing all from Johnny Cash, The Eagles, Hank Williams, they were the real McCoy ((:>) ..
    I wonder what became of them ? .. no-one on the bar staff knew anything .. they had just been booked through an agency .. 'The Prairie Boys' I think they were called
  • edited January 2017
    Saw a Genesis tribute act at the Mick Jagger Centre a few year ago. It was the early post Gabriel wind and wuthering/trick of the tail stuff. They looked like genesis and the singer in particular had all the Collins mannerisms down to a tee. Got the songs note for note too. I thought it was effing spooky and left half way through.