Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Ipswich 1983 highlights on BT sport now

Comments

• Repeated tonight 7.00 pm BT sport 2 channel 414 on sky
  • Repeated tonight 7.00 pm BT sport 2 channel 414 on sky

Cheers will arrange for this to be recorded
  • Thanks
  • We were 2 up and lost 2-3 and I knew it would happen. I'd already been scarred :smile:
  • What was special about this match? Was before my days as an addick.
  • PopIcon said:

What was special about this match? Was before my days as an addick.

Maybe it was the fact that we scored twice?
  • edited January 2017
    PopIcon said:

In simple terms it was today's equivalent of Rotherham ( a lowly Championship side) playing Man City or Arsenal and leading 2-0 after 15 minutes. Ipswich were a top 4 team in the top tier at the time.

We were then denied a potentially lucrative replay by a penalty that wasn't!
  • PopIcon said:

I think there was about 18,000 at The Valley, in the days that when we used to get about 5,000.
  • PopIcon said:

I think there was about 18,000 at The Valley, in the days that when we used to get about 5,000.
    That as well.
  • We were 2 up and lost 2-3 and I knew it would happen. I'd already been scarred :smile:

I had forgotten the result and was looking forward to watching it.....thanks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps we might win tonight's second leg !
  • Pretty sure I was there but can't really recall

Sorry, first time I've been called out for spoiling the result of a game that finished 34 years ago :smile:
    Partly my fault I suppose for opening the thread....DOH!
  • Great Stuff, just watched it in Kodi Mobdro.
  • 18,000? The ground held about 65,000 at the time. I'm not sure how another fifty odd thousand could have fit in. Those were the days when we pretended there were less there than more.
  • milo said:

18,000? The ground held about 65,000 at the time. I'm not sure how another fifty odd thousand could have fit in. Those were the days when we pretended there were less there than more.

Pretty much a standard practice for all clubs, and with mainly, if not exclusively, cash sales apart from season ticket holders, very easy to hide income from the Revenue.
  • Was there, cracking game.
  • edited January 2017
    milo said:

18,000? The ground held about 65,000 at the time. I'm not sure how another fifty odd thousand could have fit in. Those were the days when we pretended there were less there than more.

Think the capacity was well down by then. We had the vast East Terrace but were all-seater behind both goals and a subbuteo style "main" stand flanked by small terraces. Might have been able to squeeze 30,000 in as long as we didn't have that TV gantry built in the middle of the East Terrace.
  • Sponsored links:

At least you won't be disappointed after watching the game now.
  • Great Stuff, just watched it in Kodi Mobdro.

Sounds like a nice place, do you live there or on holiday?
  • Must viewing for all modern addicks that don't realise the modern Charlton flattering to deceive is just a continuation of old Charlton. The Curbs years were a blip in the continual years of mediocrity.
  • Kap10 said:

Must viewing for all modern addicks that don't realise the modern Charlton flattering to deceive is just a continuation of old Charlton. The Curbs years were a blip in the continual years of mediocrity.

Old Charlton? What like old Lennie, or old Jimmy Seed?
    Or is this some kind of whoosh moment
  • edited January 2017
    Les Berry ran (and may even still work there), a family owned electrical wholesalers, somewhere around the Tunnel Avenue area.
  • Off_it said:

Les Berry, there's a name.

Big handle bar moustache. Looked like one of the Village People. played like one as well half the time. Proper Charlton legend.

I remember in our mid-80's promotion season dear old Les was on his last legs for us and was a squad player who never got much of a look in (Pender and Thommo were doing so well). During the run in he was called upon and you could sense the feeling of trepidation in the crowd, only for him to have a stormer. I remember him bringing the ball out from the back, beating a man, then another as the crowd shouted "Ole" and he turned and waved his fist in the air in celebration. A classic moment.

Please someone tell me they remember this too and I'm not making it up. Please!

Selhurst Park. Home game. Someone like Huddersfield in the back half of the season.

Edit: Just had to get out of bed to look it up. 12th April 1986, beat Huddersfield 3-0. Over 30 years ago and I remembered it. So how come I can't remember what I did last week ffs?!

Remember Les playing a small bit part in that season and the Ole's , can't help you with the Village People or fist pump but you may be getting mixed up with a different pastime
  • PopIcon said:

As discussed, what do we assume was the real attendance though, the East Terrace looks very busy?

• I reckon there was 25-30,000 there.