Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cancelled flight help.

Had a flight cancelled on the 17th December .
5pm Before flight was cancelled had to go to the airline desk we was told they didn't know where the plane was and to come back 30 mins later.
6pm no update in queue get text 6.15 to say flight cancelled they will be putting on another plane at 9.30pm will need 25 people to go on plane next day.
Stay in queue 7pm desk staff still don't know what's happening to 9.30pm plane
Few minutes later people start running go to gate 10 plane waiting told my wife to wait at info desk,she rings a couple minutes later saying her and another bloke been told to go otherwise will miss the flight.
Anyway turns out this was a ploy to kick us out.
Had to all go back through immigration control unaccompanied.
In all this had received another text saying the 9.30pm plane was now off and needed to rebook .
Went from pillar to post for a couple of hours with help desk,Norwegian and someone else telling us different things 3hours later running about like lunatics young and old not once asked if wanted a bottle of water.
After a while they had fobbed off two thirds of people.
Then told about 9.15 pm can put us on coach to Manchester for a 6.45am flight which we agreed to.
Taken outside at 11pm to get coach waited half an hour outside for coach, No representative came on the coach,road closures on motorway near Manchester meant driver got lost and had to go long way round. Got to Manchester airport 5.15 and made the flight.
If anyone in the industry is on CL are we still able to claim for compensation.
Thanks coach hating clb74

Comments

• Hello little legs
  • clb74 said:

5pm Before flight was cancelled had to go to the airline desk we was told they didn't know where the plane was and to come back 30 mins later.
    6pm no update in queue get text 6.15 to say flight cancelled they will be putting on another plane at 9.30pm will need 25 people to go on plane next day.
    Few minutes later people start running go to gate 10 plane waiting told my wife to wait at info desk,she rings a couple minutes later saying her and another bloke been told to go otherwise will miss the flight.
    In all this had received another text saying the 9.30pm plane was now off and needed to rebook .
    Went from pillar to post for a couple of hours with help desk,Norwegian and someone else telling us different things 3hours later running about like lunatics young and old not once asked if wanted a bottle of water.
    Then told about 9.15 pm can put us on coach to Manchester for a 6.45am flight which we agreed to.
    Taken outside at 11pm to get coach waited half an hour outside for coach, No representative came on the coach,road closures on motorway near Manchester meant driver got lost and had to go long way round. Got to Manchester airport 5.15 and made the flight.

It largely depends on the reason for the delay / denied boarding. Your airline will confirm the reason for the delay once you have made a claim to them under EU261 legislation. If you have a valid claim the level of compensation will depend on the distance you were due to travel. The airlines have no interest in delaying you or misinforming you. They are complex operations and sorting issues is not straightforward. Of course that is no excuse if you didn't receive an acceptable standard of customer service. The CAA website will provide a decent level of information.
  • clb74 said:

It largely depends on the reason for the delay / denied boarding. Your airline will confirm the reason for the delay once you have made a claim to them under EU261 legislation. If you have a valid claim the level of compensation will depend on the distance you were due to travel. The airlines have no interest in delaying you or misinforming you. They are complex operations and sorting issues is not straightforward. Of course that is no excuse if you didn't receive an acceptable standard of customer service. The CAA website will provide a decent level of information.
    Thanks for your help
  • SE23 said:

What is the question again?

Hahaha killed me.

• Norwegian air 82nd
  • Can I rewrite the opening post?

I was due to leave at (whatever) time. I left at (whatever) time.

How do I make a complaint for the delay?
  • Can I rewrite the opening post?

Your as bad as the wife
  • clb74 said:

Can I rewrite the opening post?

Your as bad as the wife
    I have a lot of respect for your wife.
  • Sponsored links:

• .....and her patience.
  • clb74 said:

Can I rewrite the opening post?

Your as bad as the wife
    Only shorter
  • Here's pretty much all you need to know. https://citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

The airline can only wriggle out of paying compensation if there are exception circumstances. That doesn't include stuff like a part needing replacing or the crew not being available: they are supposed to be able to cope with such every day issues by having spares and stand-by staff.

Don't get suckered into using one of the firms that comes up on Google searches. You can do this yourself without paying a fee.
  • cafcfan said:

Here's pretty much all you need to know. https://citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

The airline can only wriggle out of paying compensation if there are exception circumstances. That doesn't include stuff like a part needing replacing or the crew not being available: they are supposed to be able to cope with such every day issues by having spares and stand-by staff.

Don't get suckered into using one of the firms that comes up on Google searches. You can do this yourself without paying a fee.

Cheers cafc
  • clb74 said:

So to sum up your situation:

5pm: told to see your airline reps, who were trying to keep everyone updated
    6/6.15pm: your original flight cancelled due to [reasons], you are then informed a replacement flight is available, but 25 passengers would be held overnight.
    7pm: waiting on 9.30pm flight's status
    7.05pm: don't know what this means. Who are the "people"; why would a 9.30pm plane be waiting for 2 and a half hours; why are people running there; where was your wife told to "go"; which flight was she going to miss?

"Anyway turn out this was a ploy to kick us out." - Kick you out of what, the airport? Off the flight? I don't know what you mean. Airlines know full well you're entitled to compensation and generally allow you (relatively) easy to understand, yet convoluted, channels through which to claim it in some way.

"Immigration control" - do you mean security? You were, I presume, looking to fly out from the UK to a holiday destination?

Anyway, so at about 7.30-8pm or whatever, you're told the 9.30pm flight is cancelled as well. Okay. And that you needed to rebook? Intriguing, as all airlines have to provide you with an alternative flight, and if it was the next day, then put you up in a hotel or whatever.

"Went from pillar to post" - Yes, as they were likely waiting on alternative flight statuses and that sort of thing. I will say that you should have been offered a food voucher to the value of circa £9 at this point, I think. That, or you were entitled to full flight compensation depending on reason for cancellation.

"Fobbed off two thirds of people" - doubt that.

9.15pm: alternative transport arranged, albeit from Manchester (presume you were originally at Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted/City), and several hours after you expected.

11pm: wait/get on arduous coach journey. Not really the airline's fault; and they don't have to have a representative on the coach with them as you would presumably be greeted by an airline services person at Manchester.

5.15am: arrive, make the 6.45am plane. Journey happens.

--------

So why would you be looking for compensation?

1) Delays. So this is possible depending on reasons for original flight cancellation. Alternative transportation was arrange at no additional cost, making any compensation unlikely.

2) Poor customer service. Maybe - depends on whether your grievance is easily articulated; recorded; and more than a "we said/they said" type deal.

3) Flight cancellation. See point 1) above - alternative transportation was arranged. You might be able to ask for a food voucher or something... That's all I can think of.

4) Coach journey unsatisfactory. But, you still made the plane, and it wasn't the airline's fault that roads were closed.

--------

Not sure on anything without the actual details (airline, flight numbers [plural], departure and destination locations), but hope this is of some use...
  • Sounds like a nightmare. Quite surprised as I've always liked Norwegian Air, they seem pretty decent. Im flying with them tomorrow actually!
  • Sounds like thet over booked or cancelled one as it was half full. EasyJet have done that before.