Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Doherty signing for Brighton

U18 goalkeeper that we've released, I guess Nathan Jones probably recommended him. Interesting we've let him go but another Championship club think he's worth signing.

http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/republic-of-ireland-footballer-to-sign-for-brighton-2014-05-17/

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301884-Harry-Doherty-Goalkeeper-signing-from-Charlton-to-replace-Walton

Comments

• Perhaps the coaching team think that Pope and Phillips are both better.

Think you maybe right.

Lots of keepers in the system so Harry misses out.

Good luck to him.

Think you maybe right.

Lots of keepers in the system so Harry misses out.

Good luck to him.
    Good luck indeed.
  • Can't keep them all, good luck Harry
  • You can only have so many keepers I suppose!

Exactly.. will be a long road for him to get into the first team behind Pope, Phillips and Mitov (who I've heard very good things about)

• It's the nature of youth football, similar to Cumberbatch joining us from Watford, where one youth setup sees something that another one doesn't
  • CL 2021 Comes to the Valley saves penalty .. cue "We should never have let Doherty go thread"
  • Sponsored links:

Or Thuram
  • Pope and Philips and the Bulgarian are much better than Doherty that is why we released him. He is a decent Keeper though and will do alright somewhere else.
  • Stig said:

Perhaps the coaching team think that Pope and Phillips are both better.

Or Thuram
    Been drafted into the French WC squad.
  • dickplumb said:

Pope and Philips and the Bulgarian are much better than Doherty that is why we released him. He is a decent Keeper though and will do alright somewhere else.

Agree with this, and all three better than Thuram. Phillips may well be the one to eventually emerge, likes a penalty save does that lad.

• Mitov is very highly thought of too, so no real surprise
  • I really do think that Thuram is nowhere near as bad as people say he is. Not a typically British style and maybe needs to get to grips with the British game but I think he might well be ok. Perhaps my theory will be tested.

Agree with this ,although I certainly did not want to test this theory in critical relegation games . You can't be both a contender for the French World Cup squad and Conference standard. There were French Ligue 1 clubs who wanted him in the window,but he choose us because he wanted to widen his footballing education.

I suspect he will not return. I understand that he left before the Blackpool game.If the club wanted to aclimatise him to British football I would have thought he might have played at Bloomfield Road.

• Stig said:

Perhaps the coaching team think that Pope and Phillips are both better.

Or Thuram
    Been drafted into the French WC squad.
    Some might say that's where he belongs.....

( French toilet squad)

Fanny. I'm shocked at you ;0)

• I think he is past it now. He was good for us and at the time I did hear Barca were in for him as a replacement for Puyol, but I just think him and Dailly need to call it a day now.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Mitov is very highly thought of too, so no real surprise

Is he still with us? His twitter account just talks about Liverpool and when you google him his name looks like it is linked with Notts Forest!

• That's a different player at Forrest.
  • dickplumb said:

Pope and Philips and the Bulgarian are much better than Doherty that is why we released him. He is a decent Keeper though and will do alright somewhere else.

He's just signed for my team at home... how good was he? Still only 20...

http://www.finnharps.com/fhfc/?p=4045
    For context he'll be on €50 part-time contract or similar.
  • dickplumb said:

Looks happy with how his career is going.
  • DRAddick said:

dickplumb said:

Looks happy with how his career is going.
    Well he's got nothing to Harp on about!!
  • Another example of a Premier League star of the future... League of Ireland, Premier League but we won't split hairs.
  • edited December 2016
    seth plum said:

dickplumb said:

Agree with this, and all three better than Thuram. Phillips may well be the one to eventually emerge, likes a penalty save does that lad.

Seth called it about how good Phillips would be!
  • Wow, a blast from the past. May 2014 no less.
  • Well called Seth