Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Shocking if true.
  • Horrible, horrible story. I hope we can all keep harmful speculation off this thread, for everyone's sake.
  • Is Eddie Heath still alive?

I've posted various archive stuff on the other thread, which I'll bring here. He died in 1983.

• Is Eddie Heath still alive?

He died in 1983.
  • edited December 2016
    Kentish Independent 29/12/83
  • Sponsored links:

• Understandable that the club should make a statement, but it's very hard to see what an "internal" investigation could look at, given that the club itself has no records from that time and nobody who was involved then is part of the club now. indeed, it was a different company.

Was going to ask the same thing. How exactly do they investigate it?

What i don't get is, this guy was sacked by Chelsea when Geoff Hurst was manager and suspected he was up to no good. One of their ex players has said "everyone knew he was a nonce". Now people obviously talk within football, so how was Heath then able to get a job at other clubs and with us?
  • Ray Wilkins seemed pretty shocked and was still speaking highly of him even upto late last week.
  • ...Heath I'm talking about
  • edited December 2016
    Am I right in thinking he worked under Lennie Lawrence and Eddie May at Charlton?
  • Understandable that the club should make a statement, but it's very hard to see what an "internal" investigation could look at, given that the club itself has no records from that time and nobody who was involved then is part of the club now. indeed, it was a different company.

I think you're nitpicking unnecessarily over the term internal. It is the same club.

I just hope it's as thorough and open as victim(s) deserve. Considering there's nothing on the os/twitter it's not a great start.

On that note, I was impressed the Chelsea statement was addressed on motd last night.
  • edited December 2016
    olster said:

Understandable that the club should make a statement, but it's very hard to see what an "internal" investigation could look at, given that the club itself has no records from that time and nobody who was involved then is part of the club now. indeed, it was a different company.

I think you're nitpicking unnecessarily over the term internal. It is the same club.

I just hope it's as thorough and open as victim(s) deserve. Considering there's nothing on the os/twitter it's not a great start.

On that note, I was impressed the Chelsea statement was addressed on motd last night.
    To be honest it might as well not be, given the records available, the turnover of staff and officials since 1983, and the people who have since died. It may be that the museum has something via Colin Cameron, but AFAIK the club wouldn't have anything at all. It wouldn't even know who worked there in 1983. The only way the club could investigate this is by interviewing third parties outside the organisation, which is presumably the job of the police or a wider inquiry. I'm not criticising the statement, I just don't think the person responsible will appreciate that there simply isn't anyone or anything under the club's control to look at. Maybe that's what it will determine.
  • olster said:

Understandable that the club should make a statement, but it's very hard to see what an "internal" investigation could look at, given that the club itself has no records from that time and nobody who was involved then is part of the club now. indeed, it was a different company.

To be honest it might as well not be, given the records available, the turnover of staff and officials since 1983, and the people who have since died. It may be that the museum has something via Colin Cameron, but AFAIK the club wouldn't have anything at all. It wouldn't even know who worked there in 1983. The only way the club could investigate this is by interviewing third parties outside the organisation, which is presumably the job of the police or a wider inquiry. I'm not criticising the statement, I just don't think the person responsible will appreciate that there simply isn't anyone or anything under the club's control to look at. Maybe that's what it will determine.
    But it is the same club, the same club where alleged sexual abuse took place and if it did, there needs to be an investigation.
    The fact that there has been staff turnover since then is immaterial; they can't all be dead and those people who worked with Heath need to be interviewed for Russel Harvey's sake if nothing else.
    To not do so would be inexcusable.

• edited December 2016
    sammy391 said:

Am I right in thinking he worked under Lennie Lawrence and Eddie May at Charlton?

Yes to Lennie, although if he'd been there three years, he can't have been recruited by LL, who arrived in 1982. At the time, the youth set-up reported to the manager. These days it reports to the chief exec, and has since 1998 under academy rules.

So it looks as if Heath was appointed by either Mike Bailey or Alan Mullery, who took over in 1981. He also appears he worked at Millwall after leaving Chelsea, which must have been quite brief. So one question is why he left Millwall.
  • Maybe that's what it will determine.

That's what I would imagine.

You may well be more aware of what is/isn't available then those writing the statement, but I could hardly imagine them not saying anything or looking to pass off any responsibility to the police/authorities immediately.

• olster said:

Maybe that's what it will determine.

That's what I would imagine.

You may well be more aware of what is/isn't available then those writing the statement, but I could hardly imagine them not saying anything or looking to pass off any responsibility to the police/authorities immediately.

Fair enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe we 'headhunted' him from Millwall. He took a few players with him to Charlton. I have a few old mates who played under him at both clubs.
  • I believe we 'headhunted' him from Millwall. He took a few players with him to Charlton. I have a few old mates who played under him at both clubs.

Interesting. I have found no reference to him at Charlton before 1982.
  • I think we should close this blog...so we/the club don't jeopardisy evidence against the alledge..let the authorities now investigate and get the xxxx (sorry to swear)
  • Bit difficult, seeing as he died 33 years ago.

Was going to ask the same thing. How exactly do they investigate it?

What i don't get is, this guy was sacked by Chelsea when Geoff Hurst was manager and suspected he was up to no good. One of their ex players has said "everyone knew he was a nonce". Now people obviously talk within football, so how was Heath then able to get a job at other clubs and with us?
    Was thinking exactly the same....something very wrong.
  • They can try to find out what happened then, was it known about or reported/covered up and do the current policies prevent it happening again.

Has this been on the OS yet?
  • Lead story on BBC local news in the SE - Tory MP for Folkestone, who is chair of the DCMS select committee, says Charlton can't investigate themselves. In fairness to him, looked like the BBC SE had been struggling to find someone to comment.
  • Paul Collins was on BBC 5 Live with Adrian Chiles this morning about 12.20 - there's an extended interview with him on the 5 Live website.