Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life Challenge to Holmesdale.net is ON......

Okay, so most of you are aware Off It came up with a great idea a couple of weeks ago of a mass charity bet with a similar group of Palace fans for the coming season. How someone whose brain is so puggled could come up with such an idea surprised all of us here at Life Towers !

The rules of the bet have been simplified and will hopefully benefit Demelza for a minimum of £1,000. The rules are:

1. At the end of the 08/09 season, i will create a Justgiving page for Demelza.
2. If Palace finish above Charlton, fifty of our members will donate £20 each – Total £1,000
3. If Charlton finish above Palace, fifty from Holmesdale.net will donate £20 each – Total £1,000.

If Holmesdale.net raise the 50, then we have a slight waiting list and hopefully those can be 'matched' and included as well. If you are a Palace fan reading this and think its a good idea, then please log yourself into H.net and help support them.

Thanks to all those that supported the idea, and a big thank you to the Holmesdale.net admin guys for at least putting it to their members. We had previously intended to offer the bet to the other main Palace Forum, the BBS, but my initial posts on the subject were deleted by moderators, and after many days chasing on my part, they decided it was not something they 'would feel uncomfortable with permitting this to be promoted on here'

Fortunately the Holmesdale guys were happy to give it a go, and its got a good initial response so far. As a result, i would appreciate it if banter of the more 'adult variety' can be directed towards other threads, and those connected to the Challenge are kept friendly.

The Charlton Life 50 are:

£1,000 now

Off It
WIWLB
Brunello
oohaah
AFKA
Shag
Bloodnut
NLA
AllLeftFoot
Bing
MCS
Lookout
Stonemuse
FOD
Solidgone
Curb It
Tavern
RedArmySe7
Ledge
Henry irving
F-Blocker
Luva Luva
Aliwibble
TCE
Guinness Addick
KBLittlesis
Shrew
Aylesford Addick
Bexley Red
Valley McMoist
Thommo
Plaayer
cafc_79
Heroin Addick
DA9
Addick1965
Kigelia
Razil
Left Behind
Low Ears
Medders
TelinOz
Threadkiller
Salad
WSS
Stanmore
Adamtheaddick
PBS
NorthStandSteve

Comments

• They're up to £220 after just a couple of hours, so fingers crossed it looks like a go-er

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=79681
  • Great stuff AFKA!
  • Excellent dude.
  • Nice one guys
  • Shame on the BBS for being so anal.

I hope that Son of Selhurst gets to hear about the bet so I can "get back" the £20 I "lost" to the Geoff Thomas Foundation last year when I lost the same, but solo, bet with him.
  • Well done to all concerned for getting this of the ground, now its the players turn, Come on boys, Save the Charlton 50" a grand!!
  • edited June 2008
    So what was up with the other Palarse board then - running scared? Where's the harm? What's the problem? What a bunch of muppets, truly.

Well done to the lads that have pledged to cough up so far.

PS. "puggled"?
  • OfFy! You're my hero mate. Let's go for a drink sometime.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]OfFy! You're my hero mate. Let's go for a drink sometime.

If you think you can keep up - you're on.

(Are you drunk?)
  • Am I that transparent?

I agree. The fact that they couldn't rise to a gentlemanly bet to the benefit of charity proves they're no-mark muppets. Well done the holmesdale lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great stuff glad they are in on it

Might help some of the baby like banter to cease
  • have they run out of fans
  • Ill put in if you need another one..... just found this....
  • Im glad this is all up and running roll on August.
  • Just an idea but what about splitting the winning pot 75% Demelza, 25% Geoff Thomas, assuming we win.

That way both charities end up in pocket.
  • **** that being nice bollox AFKA this is Palace we are talking about LOL

Just kidding.

Well done the Palace lads should be a bit of fun.

Who's gonna tell the players then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    I think you've just hit upon a fantastic idea - get the players to bet against the Palace squad.....

Henry - do you think this is something Pards et al would be up for? Maybe even £1000 per player?
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    I think you've just hit upon a fantastic idea - get the players to bet against the Palace squad.....

Henry - do you think this is something Pards et al would be up for? Maybe even £1000 per player?

Players aren't allowed to bet on things they are directly involved in - not that I could see the likes of Jerome sticking his hand in his pocket, not now that it costs so much to fill up his Bentley.
  • maybe not a bet then, but a donation at the end as a thank you to the fans for a fantastic idea?

Would that be allowed?
  • Think the palace site needs to find a few more donations first.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]maybe not a bet then, but a donation at the end as a thank you to the fans for a fantastic idea?

Would that be allowed?

I'm sure that would be allowed - but don't hold your breath!
    To be fair, a lot of them probably get involved with Demelza and other charities already, but my guess is that this is mainly through club sponsored involvement, etc. It would be nice to think that they might collectively cough up for something, but I just can't see it really.
  • I know they're not allowed to "properly" bet (ie. with a bookie) for fear they'd throw a match, but this is something where they have to WIN.
  • I'll let AP's PA know (did you see what I did there?)

To be fair a lot of players do things for charity and good causes of their own pretty much like we do I'd guess.

Bit unfair to say XXXXX wouldn't do this or that unless you've asked them direct and they've said "no, I've got the payments on my 4 X 4 with personalised number plate to worry about".
  • Lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets just wait till its matched and the bets on before we tinker
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Think the palace site needs to find a few more donations first.

I think the Holmsdale on Line is the smaller of the palace sites. The BBS is much bigger but also seems to have a much higher percentage of idiots (ask Charlton Dan) desperate to insult us but NOT hate us
  • I didn't mean tell the players so they can bet on it. I meant tell the players what we have done in the hope they take the season a bit more seriously this time around.
  • Holmesdale.net are over the halfway mark now, so getting there.
  • good stuff
  • On their site they mention about the chairmen getting involved, this has to be an independent bet and fans should be applauded for it, can we please make sure that either clubs dont hijack the idea if it ends up getting good press.
  • i reckon we should send Charlton Dan over to wind the stripeys up into action get them to get the hands in their pocket.

is this gonna be a 50 v 50 meet up at the end of the season then at a neutral venue ;-)