Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

strange place to live

Comments

• How amazing does that look though - every floor spins independantly and it's environmentally friendly as well
  • they do know how to design a building out there, perhaps we can get them to do a job on the South Stand.

As an aside, i understand the Dubai growth is not all a one way success story they would have you believe. Literally millions of apartments are currently in the construction stage, and there is now a fear with the global cutbacks it may of gone too far. Work at the massive Palm resort, which a number of celebs have bought into, has apparently stopped.
  • Would do buy a place out there?
  • Is that for real, can they actually do that?

If the real time speed is like they show on that video clip, surely its too fast?
  • ... and how do you find your front door every night if it's moved ?
  • my mate lives out there and his g/f lives in a villa for 4 people near the sea. they have been told due to a new law being introduced this summer that as they work there, and are not tourists, they are not entitled to pay rent and live in the villa, but they have to move into the apartments that are built more for residents and not tourists, so they can make money on the villas by the sea.

my mate loves it out there, been there for nearly 3 years now.
  • edited June 2008
    Depends whats moving round what realy. The PO Tower once had a resturant which revolved. IRA blew it up i think ?

If you have a central core , where the lift shafts are then you could in effect always get on or off in same place.

My ex boss who was FM for Europe and Middle East lived in Dubai for awhile. Loved it so much she moved all her family over there. Had a huge place near Milton Keynes , stables etc, sold the lot. Now she goes horse riding etc in the desert and tells me via email the kids school is 10 times better then here. Looking at a privious thread is it surprising that we are seeing the biggest migration out of the Uk since the 1880z ?
  • WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Is that for real, can they actually do that?

If the real time speed is like they show on that video clip, surely its too fast?
    1 to 3 hours for a full rotation...
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]... and how do you find your front door every night if it's moved ?
    I think how it will be designed (i did some drawings) is that there will be a central lift and then, on each floor there will a stationary circular corridor with your front door is also static. You may have to be careful walking into your house after a night out and the floor is moving though. (as GH said...)
  • Thanks WSS its why i get paid lots !(smily thingy)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]my mate lives out there and his g/f lives in a villa for 4 people near the sea. they have been told due to a new law being introduced this summer that as they work there, and are not tourists, they are not entitled to pay rent and live in the villa, but they have to move into the apartments that are built more for residents and not tourists, so they can make money on the villas by the sea.

my mate loves it out there, been there for nearly 3 years now.

Was out there on business a few months ago, some of those villas near the sea are fantastic
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Thanks WSS its why i get paid lots !(smily thingy)
    I wouldnt know about that being a student! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Is that for real, can they actually do that?

1 to 3 hours for a full rotation...
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]... and how do you find your front door every night if it's moved ?
    I think how it will be designed (i did some drawings) is that there will be a central lift and then, on each floor there will a stationary circular corridor with your front door is also static. You may have to be careful walking into your house after a night out and the floor is moving though. (as GH said...)

Thank god for that, the video had it moving around very fast creating a shimmering effect
  • All the work is going on in Abu Dhabi now thats where my mate has been moved to, only an hour up the road tho.
  • Abu Dhabi is more to my taste - drove up there for a few meetings (very boring drive through the desert and construction sites). It's much more low-rise, less frenetic and some great beaches and restaurants.

Having said that, there are some amazing bars in Dubai.
  • Yes but stone - that might not be the case shortly as the building work in AD is cranking up big style as they want to turn it into another Dubai.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes but stone - that might not be the case shortly as the building work in AD is cranking up big style as they want to turn it into another Dubai.

pity
  • edited June 2008
    emirates

Had some meetings in Emirates Palace hotel Abu Dhabi - most amazing hotel I've ever seen
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]As an aside, i understand the Dubai growth is not all a one way success story they would have you believe. Literally millions of apartments are currently in the construction stage, and there is now a fear with the global cutbacks it may of gone too far. Work at the massive Palm resort, which a number of celebs have bought into, has apparently stopped.

Wouldnt surprise me at all. When we were there, almost a year ago, it was one huge building site. We were lucky to get a hotel with no building work too near us, but everywhere you looked something was going up.

Not sure the law firms see it stopping though - there's just been a huge drive here to get lawyers to relocate to Dubai.
  • The PO Tower once had a resturant which revolved. IRA blew it up i think ?

From memory the IRA set off the bomb from the public viewing platform, not the restaurant area. Subsequent to that PO closed the restaurant.