Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Port Vale | Nov 19 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Port Vale
Saturday 19th November … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Richard Clark (Northumberland)

Introduction

They always say a week is a long time in Football yet this week in particular has felt extremely long… Last Saturday saw the Addicks making their first appearance on TV this season and on that showing you have to pray it’ll be the last appearance. Despite missing four players, the Charlton performance was embarrassing to say the least with the 3-0 scoreline our worst of the season.

48-hours later and we received the surprising news that Russell Slade had been sacked… Just four wins this season proved to be not good enough and the revolving door swung once more. Communication has been a key word under our current regime yet there appears to be no news about an incoming replacement, nor does there appear to be any news about who’ll be in charge this Saturday… Our opponents much be loving this, I doubt Port Vale have ever had an easier run up to a match in their history.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale | Manager: Bruno Ribeiro
Reverse Fixture: Port Vale 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Well now this is strange, we all know that we have to face all League One teams home and away yet for both fixtures to come in such a short space of time is certainly unusual. Of course though it’s something that’s not happened before, back in the days of proper Football, the Addicks would face a team away from home and then the following week they’d play that exact same team at home… Plymouth Argyle (not our latest opponents) are a perfect example of this, on Boxing Day 1960 we faced them in the West Country and lost 6-4, the very next day we played them at the Valley… and won 6-4.

The situation isn’t as extreme this time round (as Charlton would take longer than 90mins to score six times in a match) yet one month ago we travelled to Port Vale and for the majority of the match it looked assured that the Addicks would pick up their second away victory of the season… Sadly our typical form shone through and the Valliant’s managed to earn a draw following a late penalty. Since that fixture; Port Vale have continued to surprise many in the League, other than a brief drop to 11th, they’ve remained in and around the Play-Off positions and appear to be one of the surprise packages this season.

Charlton Team News
Rather difficult to work out who’ll be pulling on the red shirt this weekend seeing that we don’t even know who’ll be in the dugout… The good news is that Ademola Lookman should return after International Duty along with Jordan Botaka who both appear to have come through unscathed. Josh Magennis on the other hand was injured against Croatia on Tuesday night so could be a doubt whilst Ricky Holmes (deemed 50/50 for our match against Swindon) is hopefully closer to a return.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Mendez | Crofts | Ulvestad | Botaka
Lookman | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Teixeira | Jackson | Foley | Novak | Hanlan

Prediction
It’s impossible to see a win for Charlton this weekend as matters off the pitch continue to overshadow matters on the pitch, quite simply a draw is the best we can hope for but even that will be a huge achievement.

Comments

• Options
    Rudderless club going up the Swanny without a paddle. Home defeat. ):
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Shout out to anyone in the crowd of 6,000... "Anyone fancy a job?"

0-2
  • Options
    Really could not give a fuck.
  • Options
    Better take Holmes out, seriously hope Maggie is back. Can't be dealing with a repeat of last weeks 6 defenders.
  • Options
    I'd go

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Fox
    Crofts Ulvestd
    Botaka Holmes Lookman
    Ajose

Keep the ball on the floor but get forward quickly with pace and skill. Hope someone sticks a few in the net...
  • Options

I'd go

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Fox
    Crofts Ulvestd
    Botaka Holmes Lookman
    Ajose

Keep the ball on the floor but get forward quickly with pace and skill. Hope someone sticks a few in the net...

Do I get the job?!
  • Options
    Impossible to predict when nobody knows who is picking the team...as Roland and Meire don't do that sort of thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Home slapping and our new manager (from the hordes interviewed this very afternoon) who has not yet signed, is sacked.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Edited the line up in the preview to reflect the injury to Holmes!!... All seriousness I'd put Hanlan there if Holmes isnt playing
  • Options
    The injuries to Holmes and Magennis show how badly Slade was treated in the transfer market by the SMT.

Desperate times for a interim manager; good luck Kevin!

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Botaka
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Lookman
    Ajose
    Novak

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Lennon, Teixeira, Jackson, Foley, Umarah, Hanlan
  • Options

Edited the line up in the preview to reflect the injury to Holmes!!... All seriousness I'd put Hanlan there if Holmes isnt playing

If SLADE had put Hanlan there last week and showed a bit more bollox in the way he set the team up he might still have a job.
    Negative twat
  • Options
    1-1 at best.....match thread from 1.45.
  • Options
    the curse of the CAFC injury strikes again. Will we see Holmes and Magennis again?

• Options
    Inkeeping with te season. 1-1. But this time we get an equaliser midway in the 2nd after they go in front midway through the first.
  • Options
    Exciting battle of the titans.

Chris Ribena v another of Roland's bum chums whose name escapes me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone attending might want to learn some of the chants heard at The Valley these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Iz2jeFsOY
  • Options
    When a beige bloke like me starts thinking, shall I bother, it comes as a shock, as usually I'll crawl over broken glass to try and be there, always back the team so I'll hope for a 1-0 win.
  • Options
    Injury ridden, managerless, defence shown up to be slow and ponderous despite not conceding too many goals, fans in torment and uproar .. this MUST therefore herald a convincing home win .. plucking a victory from the depths of defeatism ((:>)

CAFC 2 v Port Vale 0
  • Options

Exciting battle of the titans.

Chris Ribena v another of Roland's bum chums whose name escapes me.

hahahahaha .. short and bitter .. the preview of the season so far
  • Options
    It will be just like watching Brazil.

Unfortunately, it will be the Brazilian national curling team, slow, only occasionally interesting (maybe once every four years, if we're lucky), and lacking accuracy....

Welcome mat very firmly in place.

2-0 to the visitors.
  • Options
    I quite like Port Vale. I remember Tony Naylor and Martin Foyle giving us a tough time at The Valley a few times in the mid 90’s, John Rudge was their manager forever and they had a dumpy little goalkeeper called Paul Musselwhite who had a fairly poor centre parting/curtains haircut, just like the barnet I was sporting at the time. I have a vague memory, which could be wrong, of the Covered End clapping Vale off the pitch after they beat us 3-1 in 1995(?).

Anyway, part of me hopes we win because I detest seeing Charlton in this pub league and still hope that we can somehow fluke our way out of it, despite the idiots at the top doing everything in their power to ruin us.

The other part of me hopes we get thrashed, because a club with an owner who doesn’t care, a disgrace of a CEO, run appallingly from top to bottom, with a thoroughly contemptuous attitude towards its customers, deserves to get thrashed, week in week out, and the people in charge deserve to receive the scorn and anger that comes with that.

On balance, I hope we get thrashed – I’d rather deal with the misery of sitting through another dismal afternoon’s football than let Katrien feel in any way vindicated for her latest absurd episode.

4-0 to The Valiants.
  • Options
    A new wave of optimism will sweep over the club. 3-0 the Reds!

I'll be getting the doctor to check my meds tomorrow.
  • Options
    3-1 loss. Meire tells Roland that, contrary to reports, we won 4-1. (Sorry, he watches every game on a live steam, right?)
  • Options
    Ha.