Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18 playing in FA Youth Cup

Charlton U18 starting XI | Maynard-Brewer, Bangura-Williams, Yao, Simpson, Zemura, Maloney, Morgan, Dempsey, Doughty, Willis, Isiaka. #cafc
Subs | Prall, Nwosu, Abraham, Birch, Gody. #cafc

HALF TIME | @StevenageFC 0 Charlton 0.

FULL TIME | Stevenage U18s 2 Charlton U18s 0.

The Addicks bow out of the FA Youth Cup.

Comments

• Slightly worying at the strength of new youngsters to come through in a few years. I had hoped the Maidstone struggle was a blip.
  • redman said:

Slightly worying at the strength of new youngsters to come through in a few years. I had hoped the Maidstone struggle was a blip.

Maybe, but it's always hard to determine these kinds of things based on a couple matches. Yao looked a very good player last year. Maynard-Brewer seems to be rated. There are also a couple in the U23s who I believe would technically qualify for the U18s.
  • If two are as good as Joe Gomez and the rest are awful we wouldn't have much of a team but it would be better than a whole team of Danny Greens in the long run so I wouldn't worry.
  • redman said:

Slightly worying at the strength of new youngsters to come through in a few years. I had hoped the Maidstone struggle was a blip.

More worrying for douchbag, he's relying on selling these to break even
  • I have to say I am disappointed that none of the substitutes have double barreled names. Do they not realise that the building blocks of our U23 side rely on this phenomenum?
  • redman said:

I wouldnt be... We've been producing a consistent Youth player for the First-Team every season since we were relegated from the Premier League and by the sound of things there are a few more genuine candidates to come through yet.

At some stage though I'm fully expecting us to go through a slight blip where no one breaks though - Its got to surely happen eventually
  • Youth players are often recruited around the ago of 8 or 9 so for this batch of U18s that was 8 or 9 years ago.

So many of these players were recruited around 2006/7 - 2007/8 when we were dropping out of the premier league and attracting the better young players would have started to have much harder.

It is just one result and I'm not reading too much into it but you would expect a change in the pipeline of good young players at some time soon.
  • A disappointing result, however you look at it. Stevenage are hardly famous for bringing through lots of youngsters.

• This group is doing very well and will get better - What you have to understand is that most of the starting 11 (7) are first year scholars (16 year olds). Yesterday and for most of the games played this year, they have been playing squads with mainly second year scholars. Yes, yesterdays performance was very disappointing, and I think if you ask the players they would say they simply did not perform to how they can and have been playing. They had upto yesterday, not lost for 8 games including a superb performance against Sheffield Wednesday with only 10 men for over an hour.
    What you have to remember is this is U18 football and it throws up strange results and blips in form.
    Yesterday, they had the chances to make a game of it, but they did not go in - equally Stevenage raised their game and were no mugs. They were well drilled and had some good quality in the side, including a few Irish Internationals. If anything our game plan was possibly flawed in respect of the tactics and how they were set up, as well as the overall performance of the boys on the day.

Henry's point is valid but this group is strong and has been all the way through since 8/9 including being - National Champions, they just need time.

Thanks @Sid James Fan Club good insight
  • Sponsored links:

• This group is doing very well and will get better - What you have to understand is that most of the starting 11 (7) are first year scholars (16 year olds). Yesterday and for most of the games played this year, they have been playing squads with mainly second year scholars. Yes, yesterdays performance was very disappointing, and I think if you ask the players they would say they simply did not perform to how they can and have been playing. They had upto yesterday, not lost for 8 games including a superb performance against Sheffield Wednesday with only 10 men for over an hour.
    What you have to remember is this is U18 football and it throws up strange results and blips in form.
    Yesterday, they had the chances to make a game of it, but they did not go in - equally Stevenage raised their game and were no mugs. They were well drilled and had some good quality in the side, including a few Irish Internationals. If anything our game plan was possibly flawed in respect of the tactics and how they were set up, as well as the overall performance of the boys on the day.

Henry's point is valid but this group is strong and has been all the way through since 8/9 including being - National Champions, they just need time.

Don't we normally play stronger teams for the Youth Cup. It's the one youth competition which gets mainstream attention, and I'm sure the players would like to play one of the big boys later on in the competition?

Don't we normally play stronger teams for the Youth Cup. It's the one youth competition which gets mainstream attention, and I'm sure the players would like to play one of the big boys later on in the competition?
    IMO this was the strongest team and had enough to win this. There were possibly a couple of tweaks here and there, but this group as I said were unbeaten for 8 games and have the potential to do very well. There were no players who could drop from the U23's as someone suggested.
    Its not an excuse but I don't think it helped the boys focus, that the draw was made for the third round putting them up against Spurs (who they took to the wire in a pre season game despite making wholesale changes for both halves)... they needed to play what was in front them first, and unfortunaetly took their foot off the pedal....
  • As @Sid James Fan Club has said, the current 17's (first year scholars) have been a top squad over the years. My son was in what would be the current 15's and whilst his squad was getting tonked in the early years, the squad two years older were not only competing, but mainly beating the bigger clubs. They were well respected throughout the Academy as a top squad. Next season will be a much better indication of where they are at.....
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5bd6faede7dc9/charlton-to-host-whitehawk-fc-in-fa-youth-cup-first-round
    The tie will be contested at Welling United’s Park View Road on Thursday, November 1st and will kick-off at 7.45pm.

Should the tie be level after 90 minutes, extra-time and penalties if necessary will be played to determine the winner if the tie.

Tickets for the first-round match at Park View Road will be available from the turnstiles on the night, priced at £3 adults and £1 U18s, while Valley Gold members can gain free entry on production of their membership cards.
  • Charlton Athletic FC

Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    29m29 minutes ago
    More
    U18S STARTING XI | Osaghae, Barton, Barker, French, Aidoo, Chin, Godding, Vennings, Williams, Isiaka, Gody.

Subs | Harvey, Albon, Afrain-Kesey, Keefe, Moore. #cafc

• Charlton Athletic FC

Verified account

@CAFCofficial
    29m29 minutes ago
    More
    U18S STARTING XI | Osaghae, Barton, Barker, French, Aidoo, Chin, Godding, Vennings, Williams, Isiaka, Gody.

Subs | Harvey, Albon, Afrain-Kesey, Keefe, Moore. #cafc

Have we signed Keefer Moore?
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it Malaysian betting syndicates again?
  • Charlton’s FA Youth Cup first-round tie with Whitehawk has been rearranged for Wednesday, November 7th at The Valley (7pm).

The match was originally due to be played at Welling United’s Park View Road on November 1st, but floodlight failure shortly before kick-off resulted in a postponement.

The young Addicks will now contest the cup clash in SE7 with the winners set to host Southend United in the second round.

Tickets for the first-round match at The Valley will be available from the turnstiles on the night, priced at £3 adults and £1 U18s, while Valley Gold members can gain free entry on production of their membership cards.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5be0558a533f7/fa-youth-cup-clash-rearranged-for-the-valley
  • Taylor Maloney experiencing a ten-goal swing in two games against many of the Stevenage players who beat us in the first post
  • HALF-TIME | Charlton U18s 5 Whitehawk U18s 0

The Addicks have one foot in the second round after a dominant first-half display here at The Valley. #cafc
  • clive said:

HALF-TIME | Charlton U18s 5 Whitehawk U18s 0

The Addicks have one foot in the second round after a dominant first-half display here at The Valley. #cafc

I know you shouldn't count chickens etc, but one foot is quite a conservative estimate!
  • Anybody there ?
  • FULL-TIME | Charlton U18s 6 Whitehawk U18s 0

The young Addicks cruise into the second round of the FA Youth Cup where they will host @SUFCRootsHall. #cafc
  • For those that know, is that our first choice u18 team, or just 11 who happen to be under 18?