Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Private Samuel Tebby

Please excuse the indulgence of a separate thread but I felt on the 100th anniversary of his death in combat during World War 1 my Great Uncle Samuel Tebby deserved one.

Name: TEBBY, SAMUEL
Initials: S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Bedfordshire Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 15/11/1914
Service No: 6987
Additional information: Husband of Grace Tebby, of 183, Livingstone Rd., Thornton Heath, Surrey.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 31 and 33.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Also remembering other relatives killed in the two World Wars:

His nephew, my first cousin once removed, Flight Sergeant Ronald John Tebby died 2 June 1945 now in Taukkyan War Cemetery Burma

His cousin Corporal James Tebby died 21 December 1914 named on Le Touret War Memorial

His cousin Corporal George Edward Tebby (younger brother of James) died 8 August 1916 now in Warloy -Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension

Lest We Forget

RIP

Comments

• His nephew, my first cousin once removed, Flight Sergeant Ronald John Tebby died 2 June 1945 now in Taukkyan War Cemetery Burma

so close to the end of the war .. really sad .. RIP
  • 101 Years tomorrow.

RIP Sam, Ronnie, James and George along with all the others.
  • I get the feeling len and I would love it if Clive could prove it but I think that your great uncle and my great grandfather fought together for the same regiment
  • I get the feeling len and I would love it if Clive could prove it but I think that your great uncle and my great grandfather fought together for the same regiment

I posted this on the Lions and Donkeys thread back in May 14 NLA.

NLA have you seen this site about the Bedfordshires?

http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/

My Great Uncle, Private Samuel Tebby, was in the 1st Bedfordshires and died at Ypres on 15 November 1914.

Steve Fuller, the site owner, is pleased to receive any information and he may have more details re your Great Grandfather.

• Just looked back further on that thread NLA and your great grandfather was posted to Ypres in May 1915 according to Clive. Sam was dead by then sadly.

They may have known each other before Sam went to the Front.
  • I just sent se7-sg a message see what he can turn up
  • Brave men who will never be forgotten especially as people like you and I will wax lyrical about them,

Rip, Albert and Samuel I can't imagine how saddened they would be if they were witnessing the wickedness still around over 100 yrs later
  • Brave men who will never be forgotten especially as people like you and I will wax lyrical about them,

Rip, Albert and Samuel I can't imagine how saddened they would be if they were witnessing the wickedness still around over 100 yrs later

Absolutely right.

Steve Fuller, the Bedfordshire Regiment researcher linked above, sent me this about Sam a few years back:

Samuel was born in Croydon and lived in Thornton Heath when he joined up. Curiously, I have that he enlisted in Dublin though …
    The CWGC entry is here - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1626019 I have that he died of wounds on the Medal Rolls but that he was KIA on another more generalised database. Personally, I’d go with the DOW for what it’s worth as it probably means he was wounded, treated and died the same day. Not having a grave may simply be because his burial was lost in the fighting that rages around Ypres for years afterwards, so his grave may have been lost to shelling or similar as opposed to being missing. Still, that is purely speculation as it stands …
    He arrived in France on 12-9-1914, so was away from the main battalion in Ireland at the star of the war. Whether he was in the Reserves or with the Transport in Bedfords, I do not know. In theory, if he was, he should have a 3 or 4 prefixing his service number as just about every man around his number has, meaning they were in the 3rd or 4th Reserve Btns when war broke out and were mobilised to France after a brief spell of intensive re-training.
    His arrival then meant he joined the remnants of the Btn who fought at Mons and Le Cateau around Paris. He would have fought in the Battles of the Marne, the Aisne, La Bassee and was finally killed during the First Battle of Ypres.
    When they went into the lines around Ypres in October, 1,100 men made the Btn up. Having stood against a massive assault from the vaunted Prussian Guards in the First Ypres, by the end of the battle, less than half of his Btn were left from the survivors of the early battles AND the reinforcements like Samuel who had arrived in September and October.

He would have fallen around Herentage Chateau, just south of the Menin Road. I have a photo of the Memorial section he is on if you do not. Please say so if not & I will gladly email it to you.

• Brilliant mate I will pm you my email

I am trying to fit a trip to the area with Clive but it's been tricky with my eldests school calendar and my work schedule, we should definitely do a cl tour
  • Nice tribute, Len. My uncle, Private Leonard Jarvis is in Taukkyan. Sadly, so are lots of others.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Sam.

Died 102 years ago today.
  • RIP Sam.

Died 103 years ago today.

Also remembering James, George and Ronnie
  • my 7 yr old daughter made a power point about Albert and it bought me too tears

remembering them all this weekend was very emotional

i must be getting old
  • 104 years ago today.

Also remembering James Tebby died 21 December 1914, George Tebby died 8 August 2016 and Ronnie Tebby died 2 June 1945.
  • RIP Sam.

Died 106 years ago today.

Also remembering James Tebby died 21 December 1914, George Tebby died 8 August 2016 and Ronnie Tebby died 2 June 1945.
  • RIP Sam.

Died 107 years ago today.

• RIP Sam.

Died 15 November 1914 Ypres. Might not be able to post tomorrow hence posting now.

Also remembering James Tebby died 21 December 1914, George Tebby died 8 August 1916 and Ronnie Tebby died 2 June 1945.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Sam.

Died 15 November 1914 Ypres.

Also remembering James Tebby died 21 December 1914, George Tebby died 8 August 1916 and Ronnie Tebby died 2 June 1945