Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Gritt

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Maybe we should give Steve Gritt a chance to manage us again...proper Charlton and has done a good job with the academy judging by the youth team's run in the cup.....always felt Pards is palarse ....

Comments

• Yeah! Could be like Keegan returning to Newcastle.
  • Just seen him drop his daughter off at school. Nothing significant in that save the fact that there's someone who served us well for more than 20 years as player, coach and manager and these days we lucky if we have anyone at the Club who has been there for more than 20 months - save Pea Wee of course but he seems to be, sadly, nothing more than a figurehead.

I believe Steve is still assistant manager at Ebbsfleet and wish him all the very best there.
  • Still plays on a Sunday morning for Metrogas and is still a very good player!
  • Still plays on a Sunday morning for Metrogas and is still a very good player!

Ketman said:

He does indeed I play for the same side, he scored from a cross the other week at belvedere away.

Which is rather commendable given that he will be 59 next week.
  • Ketman said:

He does indeed I play for the same side, he scored from a cross the other week at belvedere away.

I play for Belvedere, although was away for that game
  • Thoroughly decent bloke, woe betide anyone who touches his bag of balls! He's like a Rottweiler.
  • BDL said:

Thoroughly decent bloke, woe betide anyone who touches his bag of balls! He's like a Rottweiler.

In all fairness @bdl I'm not best pleased if someone touches my ball bag either - unless they at least ask first.
  • Proper Charlton legend and a good guy. There's a great picture of him after scoring against Bolton on the 4 -1 game at the end of the 83 season. He's got his hand in the air and the east terrace in the background celebrating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Happy Birthday Steve
  • seth plum said:

Top man.
    Unknown outside of those that know if you follow my meaning, but a football legend, and a club legend.

Brighton fans speak well of him as well.
  • Proper Charlton legend and a good guy. There's a great picture of him after scoring against Bolton on the 4 -1 game at the end of the 83 season. He's got his hand in the air and the east terrace in the background celebrating.

This. Charlton legend. Love the bloke.
  • I've heard he's lost all his hair.
  • Addickted said:

I've heard he's lost all his hair.

We don't care.
  • LenGlover said:

A picture speaks a thousand words. Seen it many times before but this is commitment to the cause personified.
    Leave off Len, that picture was taken before the game.
  • Ketman said:

He played yesterday, we even got to all wear a Charlton Kit as we needed to change strip beating Keyworth 3-2 at the Gas after being 0-2 down early on. Chatted with him about what is going on at CAFC after the game, like most of us he does not see anything good happening at the club whilst current regime is in charge.

I heard the centre half got a lucky goal
  • Sponsored links:

• It was alright I spose.
  • Yes a top man is Steve Gritt. Still remember a goal he scored at the covered end, great shimy round the last defender.
  • edited October 2016

Yes a top man is Steve Gritt. Still remember a goal he scored at the covered end, great shimy round the last defender.

Came on as sub at Vale Park, must have been early 90's and equalised with a cracking volley. He remembered it fondly when I mentioned it to him at Hall Place at a NWK supporters gathering, Mendonca and Kinsella also in attendance that night.

• I remember seeing us get beat at Newcastle (early 80s?) with Gritty having a rare run of games as a striker - if I'm right, he scored twice that day.

• Three Gritty goals I'll never forget. The "leave it" bullet into the Covered end goal, was that against the O's? The deft header to give us a 1 nil win v the Hammers at the Valley, and a run from the halfway line at Mansfield where they stopped playing for offside, but Gritty carried on and slotted home, I think we won 3 1 that day, anyone else there?
    But I'll always be grateful for him coming on as a sub at Luton when we were 7 nil down to shore up the defence, he did a good job that day.
  • LenGlover said:

A picture speaks a thousand words. Seen it many times before but this is commitment to the cause personified.
    Leave off Len, that picture was taken before the game.
    Short shorts
  • Three Gritty goals I'll never forget. The "leave it" bullet into the Covered end goal, was that against the O's? The deft header to give us a 1 nil win v the Hammers at the Valley, and a run from the halfway line at Mansfield where they stopped playing for offside, but Gritty carried on and slotted home, I think we won 3 1 that day, anyone else there?
    But I'll always be grateful for him coming on as a sub at Luton when we were 7 nil down to shore up the defence, he did a good job that day.

He also scored a last minute screamer against QPR at Selhurst to give us a 1 1 draw.
  • Didn't he also score the winner against Watford at Selhurst when we beat them 4-3 ?
  • Boysie said:

Didn't he also score the winner against Watford at Selhurst when we beat them 4-3 ?

Yep.

The QPR last minute equaliser was excellent but my favourite was against Aston Villa (2-2) also at Selhurst. We made a really quick break and Gritt finished off some mayhem in the box by cracking it home.

The Port Vale away goal mentioned earlier gave us a really undeserved point. Another low drive into the bottom corner.

He had a couple of good games in goal too. Was doing ok v Palace in a Boxing Day game but got undone by a brilliant free kick from Peter Nicholas and then the Kevin Mabbutt "stuck in the mud" goal. He did really well away to Coventry but ultimately we were overwhelmed 3-0. There was also some talk of him starting a game in goal away to Carlisle but Lee Harmsworth was given his debut instead. Just as well....Gritt scored (I think) in a 1-1 with a low daisy cutter.