Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Case For Boycotting Or Not.

Can I first say that so far this season since the Northampton game anyway I have been boycotting.

We have been told that now we are officially "at war" with the club. Things have changed and it would appear the ante has been well and truly upped by those running the club.

It would seem to me that we have reached an important crossroads. This next phase of protest could well be the most important part of the battle to retake The Valley.

I don't want to give Duchatelet a penny of my money. That has driven my boycott but at this point do I need to re evaluate ?

Those of us not attending are still desperate for the protests to have impact. Is now the time for us to bite the bullit and give more voice and numbers to the in stadium action. Can we afford to stand by and watch others whilst hoping for success ?

I want someone to convince me that my boycott is the wrong way of getting them out of our club.

Our protest is currently split. I can't help feeling that it would be stronger with one prong of attack.

Over to you.

COYR

Comments

• I don't think you'll ever get a boycott

My old man doesn't really care for the protests and although he's not happy with relegation, he's of the opinion that

A - we would go under if it weren't for RD's money
    B - we could get sold to an even bigger bunch of twats
    C - he just wants to watch the game and support the team

I'm not saying these just to play devil's advocate, and he and I share a different view and I have had countless debate with him about why I disagree on all of the above. I'm only pointing this out because I would imagine there are a fair few others like him and share the same views.

CARD could call for a boycott because they are respected and people listen to them, but for someone like my dad it wouldn't even register.

There's nothing wrong with calling for a boycott but I just feel that it if it didn't happen in its entirety, then it would be a neither here nor there sort of movement
  • I don't think we'll ever get a total boycott. There will always be about 3-4,000 prepared to go. Next season that will probably be the attendances anyway. Unfortunately we know that's not enough to sustain a club like Charlton and getting new fans to come and watch is nigh on impossible for the club, a fact which I think they fail to comprehend. I think it's a bigger pain in the arse of Katrien and Tony big bollocks to have protesting fans in the stadium. In fact I think they need to be bigger, louder and more disruptive to the SMT. Something close to the Burnley game would give them nightmares.
  • You'll never get a total boycott, the Sue Perks loyalists will never stay away & who are we to ask/expect someone like Seb Lewis to break his run of games??

Plus the club will always announce a higher figure so any impact on paper will be lost IMO
  • "Officially at war with the club"

What are you going on about ? How can we be "officially at war with the club" ?

A full scale boycott will never, ever happen btw.
  • You'll never get a total boycott, the Sue Perks loyalists will never stay away & who are we to ask/expect someone like Seb Lewis to break his run of games??

Plus the club will always announce a higher figure so any impact on paper will be lost IMO

Not on the profit/loss account it won't!

But I would tend to agree that a boycott will not help in of itself. Demonstrations in the ground, even if it is just constant barracking of the SMT will hurt far more and get greater puiblicity. Back this up with pre and post demonstrations outside The Valley and the effort may hasten the demise of RD et al.
  • se9addick said:

"Officially at war with the club"

Because that is what Daisy said.
  • I don't think a boycott would work, as some fans will always go, whoever is in charge.

I must admit that after the events of Saturday, I am close to stopping going. I just isn't fun anymore. No atmosphere; poor players; poor tactics. Without a sustained promotion push, true crowds this year will hover around the 7k mark, and next year they will drop further. Ticket price promotions aren't working, as those that bought the extra tickets for friends are no longer coming themselves. There is little hope left (unless RD sells).

So where do we go as a club from here?

A third or fourth tier club, playing in front of 5k each week, with no atmosphere? Kind of reminds me of Orient when Barry Hearn owned them, except the financial losses will be much larger. Sure, the upper west will be closed next year to cut costs (gets rid of the option of having liar banners draped over the directors box too!), and maybe the upper north too (though Crossbars would remain open) the following year. Player salaries will be lower, once those expensive misfits called Watt, Sarr, Texeira, Ceballos, Ba, Vetokele and Johnson are off the wage bill, but at least we will have recouped a few million from the sale of Lookman (with Konsa next to be sold...). That might even allow the books to almost balance in 2017?

But what to the future? There is none! No end game.

The Club will owe RD £60m and nobody is going to pay that to buy it. RD will have to take a huge loss if he does sell, and if he cannot find a buyer willing to fund that ever increasing loss, then he may just put us into admin and see the club fold. The sale of The Valley and the training ground will recoup some money, but not that much (maybe £15m?), and then he can disappear back to Belgium without a second look. He'll have lost over £50m by this experiment, yet he doesn't do failure?

Please tell me I have it all wrong?

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    Pedro45 said:

I don't think a boycott would work, as some fans will always go, whoever is in charge.

I must admit that after the events of Saturday, I am close to stopping going. I just isn't fun anymore. No atmosphere; poor players; poor tactics. Without a sustained promotion push, true crowds this year will hover around the 7k mark, and next year they will drop further. Ticket price promotions aren't working, as those that bought the extra tickets for friends are no longer coming themselves. There is little hope left (unless RD sells).

So where do we go as a club from here?

A third or fourth tier club, playing in front of 5k each week, with no atmosphere? Kind of reminds me of Orient when Barry Hearn owned them, except the financial losses will be much larger. Sure, the upper west will be closed next year to cut costs (gets rid of the option of having liar banners draped over the directors box too!), and maybe the upper north too (though Crossbars would remain open) the following year. Player salaries will be lower, once those expensive misfits called Watt, Sarr, Texeira, Ceballos, Ba, Vetokele and Johnson are off the wage bill, but at least we will have recouped a few million from the sale of Lookman (with Konsa next to be sold...). That might even allow the books to almost balance in 2017?

But what to the future? There is none! No end game.

The Club will owe RD £60m and nobody is going to pay that to buy it. RD will have to take a huge loss if he does sell, and if he cannot find a buyer willing to fund that ever increasing loss, then he may just put us into admin and see the club fold. The sale of The Valley and the training ground will recoup some money, but not that much (maybe £15m?), and then he can disappear back to Belgium without a second look. He'll have lost over £50m by this experiment, yet he doesn't do failure?

Please tell me I have it all wrong?

In a worse case scenario probably spot on however it's the eternal hope that keeps you going. Life goes on , lots of water to pass under the bridge just yet. We fight on and if all else fails there's always AFC Charlton.
  • se9addick said:

Meier said there is a war between fans and club. Try to keep up.

The point of the OP is for someone who isn't boycotting or perhaps is boycotting to persuade me as a boycotter that I would better serve the aim of getting RD to do one by attending games.

At present our protests are split. Should we now under the changed circumstances we face completely unite to best advantage.

I realise a total boycott won't happen so convince me to get back to going to games if that's the best way of getting to the owner.
  • se9addick said:

The point of the OP is for someone who isn't boycotting or perhaps is boycotting to persuade me as a boycotter that I would better serve the aim of getting RD to do one by attending games.

At present our protests are split. Should we now under the changed circumstances we face completely unite to best advantage.

I realise a total boycott won't happen so convince me to get back to going to games if that's the best way of getting to the owner.
    I did :wink:
  • But were not all one glass
    Some fans are doing this some are doing that and others doing something else.
  • clb74 said:

But were not all one glass
    Some fans are doing this some are doing that and others doing something else.

We're all Addicks and we're all in the same boat, just rowing at different speeds !!
  • se9addick said:

So you believe everything she says ?

I don't really know why you would want me to convince you to go to matches, given that your boycott will have very little impact on whether RD stays or goes I would suggest that if you want to go and watch Charlton then you should go to games and if you don't then don't.

There is possibly even an argument that, given how deluded RD is, not going to games will increase the amount that he has to put in to the club to keep it going which appears to inform how much he wants to sell the club for so boycotting is making it less likely he'll find a buyer and will be with us longer.
  • the Boydoctt will not work, RD has shown he is prepared to take the losses of running the club and another one million onto he loss at worst will not break his determination to show you can run some sort of pan european football farm or what ever his vision is. I believe stubboness has set in with RD.
  • Sponsored links:

• reasons for me not going saturdays isnt solely roland its a mixture of having other stuff to do and a 60 + hour week leaves only limited time, i go to a lot of away games and the money not spent on home games can go towards away travel etc, admittedly up until last season i would do 12/14 home games usually Saturdays where i would pick and choose also used to take my grandad a fair bit, but he passed in march so no longer have to attend with him, will maybe get along to a couple this season but wont be gutted if i dont.
  • se9addick said:

you can sit next to me, and i'll have a big bag of maltesers.
  • I won't be there on Saturday but that's because I don't feel as inclined/committed to go and watch us anymore really in pointless cup games, we'll never get another cup run like we had with Chris Powell.
  • se9addick said:

Because that is what Daisy said.
    It wasn't. What she actually said was,
    ...to meet with me, because this war - if we can refer to this as a war...

• edited October 2016
    There seems to be a lot of negativity about our chances of winning at the moment.

I think it's more that with the damage that has been done to the club already (specifically in terms of lost fans - many of whom will, probably, never, ever, return) even if RD and KM lose I can't see how what we will be left with will ever feel like a win.

Even if RD agrees to sell the club for £1 it could take another £50m to get us back to being a decent Championship club with even a small chance of making it into the Premier League.

I would love to be proved wrong but I can't see anyone with c. £100m wanting to invest it in our club with the match day interest that we currently have. I've had a season ticket since 1989 and, in the end I did buy one for this season, but I chose not to go on Saturday for no reason at all. I just sat on the sofa watching Sky Sports News all afternoon. Why would anyone want to drop millions and millions of pounds into a club when fans (or customers) that have been regulars for so long would rather do, literally, nothing than go to a game they have already paid to watch?

• We need to carry on as we are. It's frustrating and is taking time, but we will get RD to sell.

A total boycott will never happen & could backfire, so forget it.

By the same token, protests at every game, becomes too tiresome and would also die out.

So we just need to continue as we are.

If you want to limit money to RD only come to the protest games and buy the cheapest seat available.

I know it appears that it may not be working, but it clearly is if RD is "hawking" the club around the city.

Keep the faith, I'm confident he'll be gone within 18 months and hopefully sooner.

wish i had your faith, I am bored of hating the club I love if that makes sense, bored off the infighting, bored off how soulless we have become.
  • It's a double edged sword.

I get the not going/not funding RD but ultimately, in my view, that will make no difference unless you can get 98% of people not to attend. If gates are 5k a game or less we'll simply get a team of that value (SCMP and all that) and less likely RD sells.

I actually believe 15-20k gates with 98% protesting will drive them out far far quicker.

The extra gate receipts will be mostly taken up with the costs to 'Marshall' a protesting crowd of that size anyway so won't be directly going to RD as such.
  • Sorry if I've missed this but what is the evidence that RD is "hawking the club around the city" ?