Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Chesterfield | Sat 29 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Chesterfield
Saturday 29th October 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Busby

Introduction

Football returns to the Valley this weekend after two matches on the road… Last time out saw Charlton keep up their form of drawing matches 1-1 yet on this occasion it was the Addicks who bounced back from behind. Facing our Kent neighbours: Gillingham, the Addicks went behind midway through the first half to ex-Academy player: Bradley Dack, the second half was a minor improvement yet with Ricky Holmes missing our third penalty on the trot it looked like the points would be staying in the Medway Towns until the 90min when Charlton were given a second penalty which was duly converted by now joint-top scorer: Nicky Ajose.

This Saturday sees Chesterfield visit the Valley and it won’t just be matters off the pitch that’ll see a bit of spice, Ched Evans now back from injury and now allowed to play will surely be getting a warm welcome from the home fans. Charlton though, facing another side in the relegation zone know that three points will be all important.

The Opposition
Name: Chesterfield | Manager: Danny Wilson
Stadium: Proact Stadium

When the Addicks ran away with the League One title back in 2012, they did so not just because of the personnel at the club yet partly because of the fortunes of others… Sheffield United were the one side keeping up with Charlton yet with the trial of Ched Evans in its infancy their season exploded and have remained in League One ever since.

The Manager at the helm of Sheffield United was none other than now Chesterfield Manager: Danny Wilson and with Ched Evans now free to continue his career, it’s no surprise to see him linking up with his last manager and you’d expect that partnership to see results… At the start of the season that surely was the case, with a point to prove: Evans had four goals to his name in as many matches and Chesterfield were flying high. Yet since the result against Walsall (which saw Evans bag both goals in a 2-0 win), the goals have dried up, yes Evans was missing for a period of time due to court appearances and injury but with Chesterfield now bottom of the form table (having not won since that match against Walsall), his goals are desperately needed once more.

Charlton Team News
In his pre-match press conference yesterday; Russell Slade confirmed that a sickness bug had been around Sparrows Lane which had hindered his preparation for this Saturdays match, no individuals were mentioned so there should be no absentees this Saturday apart from Jordan Botaka who seems to have disappeared.

One player who was brought up during the press conference was Nicky Ajose… Having celebrated his goal in front of the Charlton bench last Saturday, he’s surely a player with a point to prove and could well get an extra 10mins from the bench if he’s lucky.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Holmes | Crofts | Jackson | Ulvestad | Lookman
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Lennon | Teixeira | Novak | Hanlan | Ajose

Prediction
Events always seem to come in threes and when we missed a penalty for the third time on the trot it cemented believe in that saying… Because of that I struggle to see past a 1-1 draw this Saturday as another side up their game against a defence minded Charlton.

Comments

• I can't believe that Brussel will go 4-5-1 at home after last weeks debacle.

I think he'll go with:

Rudd
    Solly
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Fox
    Holmes
    Crofts
    Ulvestad
    Lookman
    Magennis
    Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Lennon, Teixeira, Novak, Hanlan, Jackson

Despite that, I think we might lose this one - 0-1 (Evans)....and Brussel might be picking up his emailed P45 from Roland afterwards.
  • Chesterfield win 2.1 Slade gets the sack and Elfsborg goes on the missing rather than pay Otto his £20
  • 0-1, obvious who'll get the goal.
  • 1-1

Ha! Beat you all to it.
  • If Slade plays 1 upfront for this he needs stringing up.

Unfortunately that won't be possible as all 3000lb fishing line has been purchased by Norwegian fishermen.

1-1. More dross.
  • Come one Sladey more of the same 4-5-1 and Ajose on the bench please. A point would be a fantastic result. 1-1
  • Don't forget we all need to be patient.
  • 1-0 defeat and i can start looking at league 2 grounds to tick a few more off the list next season.
  • Comfortable 1-1 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 6-0 to the Addicks
  • 1-0. Dull.
  • Given squad we're up against: a home win. But impossible to be confident about margin given Slade's tactical approach.
  • Which strategy will Russell use this week to get our regular 1-1?

1) Start slowly with one up front, go behind, throw on a striker and equalise with a late goal...or
    2) Start well with two up front, take the lead, but take your attacking players off to defend the lead and concede a late equaliser?

We're at Home so will probably be Option.1
  • Slade must, simply MUST pick Ajose at the expense of JJ after last week's 2nd half performance .. The Spireites are in desperately bad form .. expect Evans to get a hard time lol ..

If we can't win games like these, all is lost

CAFC 3 v Chesterfield 1
  • edited October 2016
    After the disappointment of the water carriers in midfield all season;
    Crofts, Foley and sorry to say JJ.

Russell Slade goes for a new option ?

• Another draw beckons. This season just goes on and on with nothing to look forward to. Evans is bound to score but I think we will chase the record for consecutive draws. 2-2 and hopefully the protests are a success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable home win 4-0.

... was the correct result of the U23s match. What about this one?
  • The sofa may have been ripped to shreds, but whether we can rip a Chesterfield to pieces is another question.
  • If Slade starts with 1up front against the bottom side in the League then we will know for certain that there is no ambition whatsoever to get out of this League this season - and all we can look forward is more dross as we struggle to reach the safety of 18th place. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.
  • Actually expect us to win this comfortably, 3-0/4-1. Ajose and Magennis both bag a brace.
  • 1-1

Chris Solly penalty and Ched Evans for them
  • Chesterfield have not won away this season and not scored in their last four league games so we all know what is going to happen.
  • Brussell continues on his quest to break bob peeters record of highest number of draws in half a season...although bob achieved this in a higher division...
    Pools panel's verdict - score draw
  • edited October 2016
    I think we'll get fucked over.

Charlton 0 Chesterfield 2 (Evans; Assange)
  • edited October 2016
    The Nightmeire continues ...someone please wake me up and tell me I only dreamt the horrors of the last three seasons.

The club that strangles its own teenage fans v the club that employs rapists.

Even tiring of the protests I'm afraid. Very noble but remind me of the marches against the Iraq war.

Purely focused on fantasy football now and hoping for a good Watford result against Middlesborough and goals from Bournemouth.

0~0 but mostly hoping for no infanticide or serious sexual assault before half time.