Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

National Anthems

Love em.

All of them, don't care what country. The pomp, the ceremony and the pride people sing them. Love Russians, Germans, Italians, Scotlands, Wales, but my favourite of all is France's Le Marseillaise.

God Save the Queen does the job for me, but Land of Hope and Glory would be such a better anthem.

How anyone can boo another countries anthem i just do not understand. If the lack of respect and 'f**k em all' attitude was as widespread as it appears, Millwall would be the best supported team in the land.

What's your favourite ?

Comments

• Jerusalem
  • wont get fooled again by The Who might be a tad long.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]wont get fooled again by The Who might be a tad long.

Everyone doing the scream at the right time might be a tad tricky
  • Pscho Stu Pearce would be Ok tho.
  • i too like the french national anthem.
    however the democratic republic of congo have managed to create theirs using a 'my first bontempi organ' gadget.
  • Aint that the theme from The Munsters ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Jerusalem

all day long, always thought it, always will, always gets the old hairs on the back of the neck standing on end, awesome sung en masse
  • I like the Ruskie one but my favourite to is the Le Marseillaise.

I love the way some of these nations, the Croats spring to mind, sing it like they will never be able to open their mouths ever again. Brilliant.
  • Jerusalem:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=73eB-aAo8Eg&feature=related
  • Sponsored links:

• My favourite has always been the Russian anthem - I think it is absolutely awesome. Particularly fond of the French one too - both of them have just the right amount of pomp and solemnity and get the heart pounding. I like the Canadian one too and, when its sung or played properly, I hate to admit it but the US anthem is pretty good too. I wish we used Land Of Hope And Glory here - ten times better than dreary old God Save The Queen.

I'm with Chicago as well - my favourite reaction to national anthems has to be the Mexcian one though, where they all line up with their hands over their chests and bellow it out at the top of their voices - quality
  • Ours is far far too short but still uplifting.
  • Brazil
    This is my favourite ...

However I quite like this one ...

Italy
  • Just listened to loads of them on youTube - the Russian one rules every one of them by a country mile.

Just listen to it - 0:32, 0:47 and 0:53 are awesome, but that key change at 1:00 gets a massive lump in my throat every time I hear it - and I don't have a trace of Russian blood!

I tear up at Land of Hope and Glory and the Spanish anthem, but the Russian one makes me wish I was Russian!
  • Jerusalem all day long, proper anthem. Who knows the words?
  • Le Marseillaise is a great national anthem.
    However i feel Land of Hope and Glory would win hands down!
    So depressing watching all the tribute videos to it, just comes to show this country has lost all pride!Slowly my Grandparents era fades away and its only getting worse!
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]wont get fooled again by The Who might be a tad long.

Very good.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Jerusalem all day long, proper anthem. Who knows the words?

"And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's mountains green".

Err, no they didn't. Of course they didn't. Great tune, crap lyrics. Sorry.
  • My wife's grandfather was a communist and probable spy - I'd love to see his file from the KGB - Russian one is great!
  • Call me what you like but I could never get excited over another country's national anthem...

Some of you are very strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm with Billy Connolly, The Archers theme...LOL

Land Of Hope & Glory for me.
  • I have to admit, i quite like what they sing at the Irish rugby games!

cant believe i've just admitted that in public!!
  • I believe I'm right in saying that Montenegro or Bosnia Hertzegovina have the same national anthem as us.At least they did until a few years back anyway.
    Erm, not the same words of course!
  • can't beat the Italians or the french love their anthems

Sound - you are right there is a country who have the same tune - we recently played them as well not sure it is one of those teams but definitely out that way somewhere.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]can't beat the Italians or the french love their anthems

Sound - you are right there is a country who have the same tune - we recently played them as well not sure it is one of those teams but definitely out that way somewhere.

Lichtenstein
  • well done Henners knew someone would know
  • [cite]Posted By: Danny Kelly[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Jerusalem all day long, proper anthem. Who knows the words?

"And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's mountains green".

Err, no they didn't. Of course they didn't. Great tune, crap lyrics. Sorry.

I beg to differ

The lyrics are asking if Christ visited England (a popular myth in 18thc and before) and was England therefore special and blessed.

It warns of the dangers of industrialisation (the Dark Satanic Mills) and calls on the people to fight to build a better England (a new Jerusalem).

So the music is stirring (added much later about 1917 I think) and the poem/lyrics are evocative and a call to arms.

It is also about England not UKGB

And did those feet in ancient time,

Walk upon England’s mountains green:

And was the holy Lamb of God,

On England’s pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here,

Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;

Bring me my Arrows of desire:

Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold:

Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,

Till we have built Jerusalem,

In England’s green & pleasant Land.
  • I got goosebumps listening to the anthems last night. Also france v italy game was awesome, when they were singing it. I like the end of the french one, as it builds up and gets higher, then its all over really quickly.
    used to sing jeruselum in hymn practice, so know all the words. I like god save the queen though. its short, but it does a job.
  • I really like the Star Spangled banner, if sung well, as well as the French, Russian and Austrialian.

I also like Land of my Fathers, which when belted out at a capcity Milliennium Stadium is something special
  • DA9DA9
    edited June 2008
    Quality post Henry