Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Amsterdam Visit

Bit of help needed..

Going to Amsterdam Easter weekend as my son and his VCD teammates are entering the Amsterdam tournament.

I'm looking at renting a penthouse or Condo in the centre of Amsterdam for 10 of the dads.
Has anyone rented one before that could give me a reliable lead?

I went on -line last night and saw quite a few but they didn't seem legit!

Any advice is most welcome :-)

Comments

• Stay away from the Red Lights... I know your a Charlton fan so you'll instantly be attracted to them, whilst wary of the blue lights (Because of the Millwall connection) but its definitely the Blue Lights you want to check out.

I've not been to Amsterdam but @Ricky_Otto swears by them ;)
  • Have you tried AirBNB?
  • Yes mate there were a few on there but the penthouses that looked out the world were the cheapest £650 for 3 nights and there was no feedback so normally if it looks too good to be true it normally it is!!
  • Fair enough, but I guess even those need to build their feedback from somewhere and potentially start cheaper to build up a feedback that way before raising the prices. Personally have used Airbnb twice and found both experiences excellent, but both times they had good feedbacks already.
  • Finally found an appropriate thread. Looking to go to Amsterdam for a few days in mid-late May and wondered if anyone had any experience/ tips on hotels etc. Also, any chance of any football being on at that time? I know Ajax are last at home on the 7th so that's out of the window but aren't the Dutch playoffs around that time (20th-30th may-ish). God knows who'll end up there but let's say Utrecht, looking at the table. Are tickets easy to get + obviously is that even the right time.
  • Finally found an appropriate thread. Looking to go to Amsterdam for a few days in mid-late May and wondered if anyone had any experience/ tips on hotels etc. Also, any chance of any football being on at that time? I know Ajax are last at home on the 7th so that's out of the window but aren't the Dutch playoffs around that time (20th-30th may-ish). God knows who'll end up there but let's say Utrecht, looking at the table. Are tickets easy to get + obviously is that even the right time.

Go on Holland soccerway and monitor the fixtures.

Should there be games be aware the Dutch can be a bit hit n miss with admitting people. I still think they issue membership cards but overseas visitors may get round this somehow.
  • Rent by the hour.
    Best.
    Advice.
    Ever.
  • If she has an Adam's apple, don't do it.
  • If you can see a concert in the Paradiso. I saw Mercury Rev there years ago and it was an awesome experience
  • Sponsored links:

• Rent by the hour.
    Best.
    Advice.
    Ever.

I was thinking of hiring a bike yes, but thought I'd be better off just doing it for the day. Thanks for the advice though. ;)
  • Stay away from the Red Lights... I know your a Charlton fan so you'll instantly be attracted to them, whilst wary of the blue lights (Because of the Millwall connection) but its definitely the Blue Lights you want to check out.

As it happens I'm going next Tuesday and Wednesday for a work related visit.

Not sure about when the football is on, but like elfsborg said checking soccerway would be your best bet. In terms of buying the tickets, they do a lot of membership only things so Viagogo is the best way IMO.

One thing I would definitely recommend is the Brouwerij 't IJ, which is a pub basically in a windmill. Loads of great beers ranging from around 4% to 10%. Hannekes Boom is another good place as well.

Went to uni there for about 6 months so if you wanna know a bit more message me, obviously I don't know everything but know a few good tips depending on what you're looking for.
  • Thanks for all the tips so far. Been looking at AirBnB which looks like my best bet but I'm seeing on Twitter a lot of 'scam' listings. Anyone got any specific experience with any in particular? Tempted to just hotel it to be safe.
  • Rent by the hour.
    Best.
    Advice.
    Ever.

They have some nice museums to fill the other 57 minutes

snap
  • charltonJ said:

Stay away from the Red Lights... I know your a Charlton fan so you'll instantly be attracted to them, whilst wary of the blue lights (Because of the Millwall connection) but its definitely the Blue Lights you want to check out.

snap
    ISE event?
  • Sponsored links:

Not sure about when the football is on, but like elfsborg said checking soccerway would be your best bet. In terms of buying the tickets, they do a lot of membership only things so Viagogo is the best way IMO.

One thing I would definitely recommend is the Brouwerij 't IJ, which is a pub basically in a windmill. Loads of great beers ranging from around 4% to 10%. Hannekes Boom is another good place as well.

Went to uni there for about 6 months so if you wanna know a bit more message me, obviously I don't know everything but know a few good tips depending on what you're looking for.
    What do the whores charge?
  • charltonJ said:

Stay away from the Red Lights... I know your a Charlton fan so you'll instantly be attracted to them, whilst wary of the blue lights (Because of the Millwall connection) but its definitely the Blue Lights you want to check out.

snap
    ISE event?
    That's why I'm there tues/weds
  • charltonJ said:

snap
    ISE event?
    Yep, just double checked the dates going Wednesday+Thursday
  • edited January 2017
    Fumbluff said:

charltonJ said:

snap
    ISE event?
    charltonJ said:

charltonJ said:

snap
    ISE event?
    We'll have to get a Roland out chant up and running.

In true @ElfsborgAddick style, I'm happy to accept beers from you both.
  • Fumbluff said:

charltonJ said:

snap
    ISE event?
    charltonJ said:

charltonJ said:

snap
    ISE event?
    We'll have to get a Roland out chant up and running.

In true @ElfsborgAddick style, I'm happy to accept beers from you both.
    You're learning.
  • I'll buy you a beer if you can find me ;)
  • ISE= charlton life grinder ???? Is that code
  • Rent by the hour.
    Best.
    Advice.
    Ever.

An hour? That's optimistic, unless She is staying to watch the first half of a match on TV?
    With 13 mins of stoppage time.
  • A bit of advice for you Mr Otto.

The whores are fussy in Amsterdam.

I don't speak from experience btw.
  • Surely you mean fushy?