Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tiger Woods

Rejoice in the fact that you are alive whilst one of the greatest sportsmen ever is plying his trade.
The man is a legend.
I've been lucky enough to enjoy Ali, Nicklaus, Borg, Boycott, Cruyff, Lillee Haglar, Watson, Connors, Viv Richards, Maradonna, Ballesteros, Botham, McEnroe, Dalglish, Sampras, Faldo, Brooking, Tyson, Warne, Zidane, Federer, etc etc, however this man is different, so different.
He will, if he's not already, become the greatest golfer ever.
They say that each sport has it's Once in a Game player:
Boxing - Ali
Football - Pele
Cricket - Bradman
Tennis - Laver
Golf - was going to be Nicklaus, but I think Tiger will take over.

Embrace and enjoy him.

Comments

• Yep. Add Michael Jordan (Basketball) and Mario Lemieux (Ice Hockey) to that list, but I think Tiger Woods is so much better than everyone else that he almost redefines the sport. He just won the US Open on one leg FFS!
  • But...is golf a sport?
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yep. Add Michael Jordan (Basketball) and Mario Lemieux (Ice Hockey) to that list, but I think Tiger Woods is so much better than everyone else that he almost redefines the sport. He just won the US Open on one leg FFS!

Can't go with the Lemieux fella Leroy - never heard of him.

Gretzky (sp?) would have to be the one, as he is the only Ice Hockey player I have ever heard of, and I think that in order to attain that iconic status, non-fans (like me) have to have heard of you as well?
  • phil taylor.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But...is golf a sport?

Yes.
  • Tiger was awesome last night. At one point he nearly threw it away...... what a player.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But...is golf a sport?

Me and Luva Luva among others will be having some gentle exercise, 27 holes on friday at North Weald gc to be precise BFR, the invites still there ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]phil taylor.
    LMFAO
  • Agreed.To be that cosistant at Golf ,of all sports, is bloody near miraculous.
  • Brooking and Boycott !!!!!
    Would be interesting to see if they used the current golf rankings system to see how Nicklaus would have rated compared to Woods. Plus has Woods got lesser players around him? Mickelson et al are good but dont forget when Nicklaus played he was facing multiple major winners in Palmer,Player,Watson etc who are considered golf legends in their own right. How many of the current crop are 'legends' ?
    There again maybe it is Wood being so dominant that there are less majors that the others can win.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2008
    I dont watch golf (or cricket) but i've been told tht Tiger is pretty useful.
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Brooking and Boycott !!!!!
    Would be interesting to see if they used the current golf rankings system to see how Nicklaus would have rated compared to Woods. Plus has Woods got lesser players around him? Mickelson et al are good but dont forget when Nicklaus played he was facing multiple major winners in Palmer,Player,Watson etc who are considered golf legends in their own right. How many of the current crop are 'legends' ?
    There again maybe it is Wood being so dominant that there are less majors that the others can win.

Yes I take your point about other players around him. Nickluas had many 2nd/3rd place finishes in majors, Tiger seems to win or not be that close. However surely Els, Singh, Mickleson etc would have shone in other eras.
    A simple statistic sums up the man though - The difference between his rating at No.1 and Mickleson at No.2 is bigger to the difference between Mickleson at No.2 and the player ranked 1356 in the world (the lowest posistion with a score btw)

1 Tiger Woods, USA 21.54
    2 Phil Mickelson, USA 10.21
    1356 Erik Compton, USA 0.01

FACT.

PS They are before he won the US Open!
  • The mans a legand. Never knows when he is beaten. Looked in trouble on Saturday, made a eagle from 65 foot downhill, then chipped from off green for birdie when he looked certain for bogey then eagled the last to lead US open.

Easily the best golfer ever
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Yep. Add Michael Jordan (Basketball) and Mario Lemieux (Ice Hockey) to that list, but I think Tiger Woods is so much better than everyone else that he almost redefines the sport. He just won the US Open on one leg FFS!

Can't go with the Lemieux fella Leroy - never heard of him.

Gretzky (sp?) would have to be the one, as he is the only Ice Hockey player I have ever heard of, and I think that in order to attain that iconic status, non-fans (like me) have to have heard of you as well?

Gretzky's nickname is the great one - Lemiuex's is the magnificant one

The Canadians I know say Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player ever though

Good on Leroy for sticking to club loyalty and of course Marios fight against Cancer and still being able to play is just quite remarkable.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Brooking and Boycott !!!!!

Yes I take your point about other players around him. Nickluas had many 2nd/3rd place finishes in majors, Tiger seems to win or not be that close. However surely Els, Singh, Mickleson etc would have shone in other eras.
    A simple statistic sums up the man though - The difference between his rating at No.1 and Mickleson at No.2 is bigger to the difference between Mickleson at No.2 and the player ranked 1356 in the world (the lowest posistion with a score btw)

1 Tiger Woods, USA 21.54
    2 Phil Mickelson, USA 10.21
    1356 Erik Compton, USA 0.01

FACT.

PS They arebeforehe won the US Open!

You cannot argue with this IMO - He is different class truly
  • Putting's brilliant. Chipping is world class. Driving needs a bit of work.
  • Golf star Tiger Woods 'injured in car accident'

Golfer Tiger Woods is in a serious condition after being involved in a car accident in Florida, according to US unconfirmed media reports.
    The golfer's car reportedly struck a fire hydrant and tree as he pulled out of the driveway of his home.
    Associated Press news agency, quoting the Florida Highway Patrol, says an inquiry into the crash is under way.
    Woods was taken to Health Central Hospital, local reports said, but the hospital has not confirmed this.
    The story was reported by the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, which also cited the Florida Highway Patrol.
    An official was quoted as saying the accident was not alcohol related.
    Woods, 33, owns a property in the suburb of Isleworth, an exclusive area near Orlando.
  • agent says fine and been released from hospital
  • [cite]Posted By: holyjo[/cite]Golf star Tiger Woods 'injured in car accident'

Golfer Tiger Woods is in a serious condition after being involved in a car accident in Florida, according to US unconfirmed media reports.
    The golfer's car reportedly struck a fire hydrant and tree as he pulled out of the driveway of his home.
    Associated Press news agency, quoting the Florida Highway Patrol, says an inquiry into the crash is under way.
    Woods was taken to Health Central Hospital, local reports said, but the hospital has not confirmed this.
    The story was reported by the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, which also cited the Florida Highway Patrol.
    An official was quoted as saying the accident was not alcohol related.
    Woods, 33, owns a property in the suburb of Isleworth, an exclusive area near Orlando.

Typical. Bunch of drama queens.
  • Don't worry he is 100%. It's a big holiday weekend over there so not much news about......
  • Sponsored links:

• How did he come to be injured so badly that he was admitted to hospital when it happened at the end of his drive. Admittedly he's probably got a very big house with a long driveway but exactly how fast can you go coming out of your drive? Reports said he hit a fire hydrant then a tree, he's a very bad driver then as he can only have been going about 10mph!
  • typical skysports news hyping this story up - i turned over after englands humiliating defeat to SA in the ODI to see the "newsflash" ticker stating "woods seriously hurt in car accident" I waited for the headlines to come on at 8pm expecting to see it the lead story with interviews etc.......but no, nothing apart from the same "dramatic" headlines.

turned over to BBc News 24 to see interviews with local US broadcasters who stated the fact that he was reversing out of his drive and that the car airbags didn't go off, so can't be that badly hurt. -Hour later at the local sheriff is talking about facial cuts and wood's agent is saying that he is fine.........now saying he is to be released.

skynews = crock of sh*t
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]skynews = crock of sh*t

to be fair every news agency carried the same severity of the story... all stemming from the ridiculous Highway Patrol statement from Florida that included the line "urgently transported to hospital in a serious condition"... that was the only official line they had to go on
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]How did he come to be injured so badly that he was admitted to hospital when it happened at the end of his drive. Admittedly he's probably got a very big house with a long driveway but exactly how fast can you go coming out of your drive? Reports said he hit a fire hydrant then a tree, he's a very bad driver then as he can only have been going about 10mph![/quote

All guesswork by the media and press, but I supose thats "Par" for the course :)
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]typical skysports news hyping this story up - i turned over after englands humiliating defeat to SA in the ODI to see the "newsflash" ticker stating "woods seriously hurt in car accident" I waited for the headlines to come on at 8pm expecting to see it the lead story with interviews etc.......but no, nothing apart from the same "dramatic" headlines.

turned over to BBc News 24 to see interviews with local US broadcasters who stated the fact that he was reversing out of his drive and that the car airbags didn't go off, so can't be that badly hurt. -Hour later at the local sheriff is talking about facial cuts and wood's agent is saying that he is fine.........now saying he is to be released.

skynews = crock of sh*t

Golfie mate, I'm guessing Tiger Woods has some special motors parked in his various garages with all the optional extras and add ons. But "Airbags" at the back of the car! reverse into something as fast as you like I doubt you set off the airbags ;)
  • I've no idea why, but for some strange reason Tiger Woods as a person and sportsman leaves me absolutely non plussed...I realise what an immense talent he is but quite frankly he bores me to tears...I've no interest in him whatsoever other than seeing (and hoping) he get's beaten whenever The Ryder Cup comes around.
  • Tiger in my humble opinion is the best ever golfer, and as far as tv anyway a perfect gentlemen when interviewed, unlike some people i can mention ( Roy Kean ) and i hope his injury is minor,However i to do not want him to be succesful in the Ryder cup, but that's only because i want us to win. ( us being Europe )
  • Tiger Woods: Brilliant putter, not such a great driver.

sorry.
  • He is part asian !!! Worst bloody drivers....
  • "He is part asian !!! Worst bloody drivers...."

What amazing intelligence.