Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Tram sheds, eh. You know how to please the crowds Henry.
  • edited October 2016
    I saw Quo at the Welcome Inn and they only knew about half a dozen numbers one of which was their own of Puctures of Matchstick Men. They were booed off the stage after their 5th rendition of it, following week it went to number one and they appeared on Top of the Pops. The rest is history, just goes to show you what the hell we knew about music :blush: .
  • Forgot about those tramsheds , even though I stood nigh on opposite waiting for a bus home to Mottingham for 8 years of my school life , that was a long wait
    Are they still there ?
  • Yes still there, although been boarded up for years now.
  • Great. I never knew that about Quo's first gig.

I think no. 20 should be The Long Pond. It has turned Eltham Park into a place I actively enjoy returning to, beyond seeing the family.

But maybe the chippie on the corner of Earlshall Road needs a mention for its sheer longevity. Gotta be at least 55 years now...
  • The Yorkshire Grey - because it was where the legendary Spike Milligan 'joined up' in World War Two.

From Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall

I received a card asking me to attend a medical at the Yorkshire Grey, Eltham. ‘Son,’ said Father, ‘l think after all you better go, we’re running out of disguises, in any case when they see you, they’re bound to send you home.’ The card said I was to report at 9.30 a.m. Please be prompt.’ I arrived prompt at 9.30 and was seen promptly at 12.15. We were told to strip. This revealed a mass of pale youths with thin, white, hairy legs. A press photographer was stopped by the recruiting Sergeant: ‘For Christ’s sake don’t! If the public saw a photo of this lot they’d pack it in straight away.’
  • edited October 2016

The Yorkshire Grey - because it was where the legendary Spike Milligan 'joined up' in World War Two.

From Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall

I received a card asking me to attend a medical at the Yorkshire Grey, Eltham. ‘Son,’ said Father, ‘l think after all you better go, we’re running out of disguises, in any case when they see you, they’re bound to send you home.’ The card said I was to report at 9.30 a.m. Please be prompt.’ I arrived prompt at 9.30 and was seen promptly at 12.15. We were told to strip. This revealed a mass of pale youths with thin, white, hairy legs. A press photographer was stopped by the recruiting Sergeant: ‘For Christ’s sake don’t! If the public saw a photo of this lot they’d pack it in straight away.’

Well I never knew that, same place as my old man enlisted, he joined the RAF queue wanted to be a rear gunner and was asked if he had any brothers and had they joined up. He said 'yes all in the army' and at that point they told him he was in the wrong queue. Strange reason to put him in the army because you'd have thought they'd have put him in the RAF or Navy, still he came back obviously so definitely the right placement as far as I'm concerned :wink: .
  • edited October 2016

Great. I never knew that about Quo's first gig.

I think no. 20 should be The Long Pond. It has turned Eltham Park into a place I actively enjoy returning to, beyond seeing the family.

But maybe the chippie on the corner of Earlshall Road needs a mention for its sheer longevity. Gotta be at least 55 years now...

The refurbed Old Post Office is pretty good now too.
  • edited October 2016

Forgot about those tramsheds , even though I stood nigh on opposite waiting for a bus home to Mottingham for 8 years of my school life , that was a long wait
    Are they still there ?

And on the other side of the wall of the tramsheds is something else worth a mention

imageimageimageimage
  • Sponsored links:

• Christ knows why that pic has posted multiple times.
  • Googled to see who the Aussie was in PBS pics .....

The first indigenous Australian to set foot in Britain, is buried in Eltham Town Centre, in St John's Churchyard

His name was Yemmerrawanyea and his grave is in St John's Churchyard, Eltham, SE9 1DH. This is the oldest burial site of an indigenous Australian in Britain.

Yemmerrawanyea was a 19-year-old native of the Eora tribe, who arrived in London from the fledgling Colony of New South Wales, with a fellow aborigine Bennelong in 1793, aboard the sailing ship Atlantic. They were presented to King George III on arrival by Governor Philip. Unfortunately Yemmerrawanyea died within a year on May 18, 1794. His headstone reads: In Memory of Yemmerrawanyea, a native of New South Wales, who died the 18th of May 1794, in the 19th year of his age.

• This now belongs in the things you didn't know but should have thread.

I never knew the proper name of the church was St John's.

I lived in Eltham for 35 years and only ever knew it as Eltham Church.
  • The Birthplace of Bob Hope.

When I was a teenager I used to Golf Caddy at the Royal Blackheath Golf Club in Court Road. One Sunday in about 1969 someone called Mr Hope telephoned the Pro shop and booked a golf caddy for that afternoon.
    I got the job and when Mr Hope arrived on the first tee I suddenly realised that I was caddying for the great Bob Hope.
    A fantastic experience that I will never forget.

Brilliant story.
  • The Progress Estate at Well Hall, now that's what a council estate should be- IMO.

Still get a warm feeling when I drive past it. Maybe I'm biased as my maternal grandparents lived on the estate, raising 7 children in Congreve road.

Growing up in Eltham I lived in Southend Close - in a prefab, then in Coldharbour Estate. Finally our family bought a house at the back of Woolworth's, off the High st. As a youngster I remember being scared by the well known 'tramp' called Smoky Joe. I now understand he was a soldier who never recovered from shell shock.
  • My first home was in a post war prefab which was on the green space behind the police station at the foot of Shooters Hill, between there and the woodland.
  • edited October 2016
    seth plum said:

My first home was in a post war prefab which was on the green space behind the police station at the foot of Shooters Hill, between there and the woodland.

Was known as "the planets" I think as they were called Jupiter close Pluto close etc.
    Read about a young girl who lived there. She worked at the royal Arsenal and got murdered on her way back home by a soldier.

Or I'm probably on about prefabs nearer welcome inn.
  • Everyone knows Eltham died when it became a one station town.
  • The Progress Estate at Well Hall, now that's what a council estate should be- IMO.

Still get a warm feeling when I drive past it. Maybe I'm biased as my maternal grandparents lived on the estate, raising 7 children in Congreve road.

Growing up in Eltham I lived in Southend Close - in a prefab, then in Coldharbour Estate. Finally our family bought a house at the back of Woolworth's, off the High st. As a youngster I remember being scared by the well known 'tramp' called Smoky Joe. I now understand he was a soldier who never recovered from shell shock.

My old man used to tell me about Smoky Joe. He had an old bike and the smoky bit of his name came from a metal burner contraption he used to carry around.
  • Sponsored links:

Can't find the info now, but the Smoky Joe army story is an urban myth. The other one is that he was from a well to do family that fell on hard times. His real name was George Curnow and he was born in Bermondsey. IIRC he did enlist around the time of WW1 but was soon turfed out and didn't see active service.

Remember seeing him around Albany Park on the odd occasion when I lived there as a kid and a few times around the Crays later on. He died in 1972 I think.

• I lived on Well Hall Road for years.

I use to work in the Welcome Inn as a kid.

My 2 best pubs these days are the Park Tavern and the Tudor Barn in Eltham.
  • Forgot about those tramsheds , even though I stood nigh on opposite waiting for a bus home to Mottingham for 8 years of my school life , that was a long wait
    Are they still there ?

Probably waited with you morts at Eltham for the 161 to Mottingham.
    Seem to remember seeing Smokey Joe around Coldharbour in the late1950 early 60's.
    Fond memories of life on the coldharbour Estate going to Greenacres School.
    Are they still there ?

Seem to remember seeing Smokey Joe around Coldharbour in the late1950 early 60's.
    John
    I was probably waiting with the two of you for the same bus either the 161 or the 124. I also went to Greenacres School between 1962-1967 and lived on Coldharbour. I lived in the flats in William Barefoot Drive, before moving to Bromhedge.

I had family living in Chislehurst and was often in Chislehurst. Smokey Joe was always around the high street in Chislehurst. On Sunday's in the summer we would fish for sticklebacks in the pond opposite the Police station while my Mum & Dad had a drink in the pub next to the pond. I can remember my dad buying Smokey Joe a pint.

Great memories.
    Are they still there ?

John
    I was probably waiting with the two of you for the same bus either the 161 or the 124. I also went to Greenacres School between 1962-1967 and lived on Coldharbour. I lived in the flats in William Barefoot Drive, before moving to Bromhedge.

I had family living in Chislehurst and was often in Chislehurst. Smokey Joe was always around the high street in Chislehurst. On Sunday's in the summer we would fish for sticklebacks in the pond opposite the Police station while my Mum & Dad had a drink in the pub next to the pond. I can remember my dad buying Smokey Joe a pint.

Great memories.
    I may have been at Greenacres around the same time as you, although I left in the early sixties to go to Crown Woods.
    We lived in Witherston Way just up from the School round the corner from Bromhedge.
    I remember as a child playing in the woods by the Chislehurst pond.
    My worst memories of Chislehurst was being taken as a child to a dentist probably next to the pub and having teeth pulled by a Mr Sanbrook Price.
    I'm sure Mr Price was a butcher by trade and practiced dentistry for fun.
    I was probably about six or seven at the time but the experience has lived with me for sixty years.
    Good memories of Smokey Joe etc. (not the dentist).
  • Asking for suggestions all you Elthamites
  • Eltham Park Lido -- if you got there before 7am it was free to get in / and very cold generally.
  • 1se7 said:

Eltham Park Lido -- if you got there before 7am it was free to get in / and very cold generally.

I can remember diving into the Eltham park pool. Always cold even when the weather was warm.
    The bottom of the pool was white, sort of a rough screed.

Stanley Kosker and I would be first in line to claim the free passes for Eltham Baths at our Greenacres junior school.
    We would race to Eltham to be the first in the pool at 7.00a.m. on Saturday morning.
  • My Eltham - Mottingham bus journeys were 1979-1987

Played a little bit of tennis on Eltham Park courts

Was there a Bingo hall down Eltham Hill ?