Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• That can't be right. That can't be right at all.
  • The tragedy in all this is that he can sing but he can't drum. If it was the other way round I'd be first in the queue - he was one of the greatest on the skins (IMHO).
  • Brilliant drummer and actually don't mind him singing on the first couple of Genesis albums after Peter Gabriel left. After Duke it all went horribly wrong and his solo stuff is cringeworthy.
  • Probably going to get pelters for this but he's a decent drummer and I was a bit of a fan back in the day.
  • Probably going to get pelters for this but he's a decent drummer and I was a bit of a fan back in the day.

Preferred this guy
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzFRV1LwIo
  • I've never understood why Phil Collins is so hated in the UK
  • Because he got divorced via facsimile
  • Psusudeo or whatever it was called.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's another self righteous me me arsehole. So believes we owe him a living.
  • Against All Odds is one of my guilty pleasures musically.
  • I enjoyed early Genesis but Collins was only the drummer then. Once Gabriel left and Collins took over they became bland beyond belief.

I loved his version of 'You can't hurry love', one of the rare occasions a Motown song had a good cover. Apart from that, nothing.

Just boredom.
  • I'd like to be as shit, talentless and poor as him.
    Watch the X Factor and the Voice or any other talent show and then tell me who's robbing a living. At least he wrote and played his own material, that's two things more than most "artists " these days.
    Not everyone's cup of tea but he was a Charlton supporter in the film Buster, even if the reality is far worse.
  • Moderators, how do I flag the Guardian???

Will look into it
  • I like Phil Collins, but always felt that songwriting/talent wise he was always a poor mans Paul Carrack (one of the greatest British soul singers out there, very underrated).
  • I took a dislike to the author when he stated that he only liked Genesis after the album "Duke".
  • edited October 2016
    My interest in Genesis disappeared as soon as Peter Gabriel left. Collins was a decent drummer and was good in a band called Brand X that he also played for. (Days at The Marquee come flooding back)
  • Sponsored links:

• 'pop' music is the relevant term .. like him or not, he's made some terrific 'pop' records in different genres
    Watch the X Factor and the Voice or any other talent show and then tell me who's robbing a living. At least he wrote and played his own material, that's two things more than most "artists " these days.
    Not everyone's cup of tea but he was a Charlton supporter in the film Buster, even if the reality is far worse.

Just writing and playing his own music doesn't make him worth listening to, but it does give him brownie points for integrity.

If you watch either of those for musical talent then you need a slap around the ears.
  • Saga Lout said:

The tragedy in all this is that he can sing but he can't drum. If it was the other way round I'd be first in the queue - he was one of the greatest on the skins (IMHO).

Absolutely great drummer, underrated. I saw him solo, with Genesis and also as Clapton's drummer. Sadly he's unable to drum anymore but worryingly his voice is on the wain now, not terrible but he is playing songs in different keys to the originals but still struggling to hit some notes.

https://youtu.be/no4qgpbJQ7E
  • I'm always suspicious of these come-backs - I can just imagine a pensions adviser saying "You are a few quid short on your plan Mr Collins, especially with the latest divorce - I did advise you against it at the time... Anyway, you'd better get out there and sing a bit".

I disagree about him being underrated as a drummer - I think it is a pretty well accepted fact that he was exceptional.

Talentless? Hmm.

As a jazz/funk musician, I'm gonna have to disagree. His drumming is pretty much exactly what everyone wants - highly nuanced and developed sense of rhythm; great "groove"; responsive to other musicians; and some very very solid chops.

Not my choice - I much prefer Tony Williams; Buddy Rich; and Sput Searight (for a more modern flavour) - but a quality drummer.

His songwriting is also pretty on point - Sussudio is a solid tune with clear knowledge of harmony and theory, even though I don't think he was the guy behind the horn arrangements etc in the big band version (which, btw, is far superior to the pop version imo).

If he can't drum nowadays, though, then that's a bit gutting.