Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Charlton

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?
4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities (I recognise this might be a dangerous topic)?
5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?
6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?
7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Doncaster fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2015/02/opposing-views-doncaster-h/

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Saturday and the report will appear on our website prior to the fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP

Comments

• (1)... Have been a fan since 1994... Stoke City (0-0) was my first game as had received free tickets through my Primary School, for the next three years I'd do the occasional game yet 97/98 was my first real season when I did quite a few matches which led to the Play-Off final against Sunderland... After that match I was hooked and have been a season ticket holder ever since (missing just three home league games in that period).

(2)... This season I'd hoped that we'd be in and around the mix for automatic promotion yet we've drawn too many games, because of the nature of the Division and as Wigan / Barnsley proved last season I think we can still get to the Play-Offs (We wont be promoted) but we need to buck our ideas up and quick.

(3)... When Russell Slade was hired I was always a bit meh as his record of being promoted (0) didnt impress me, I've been happy with some of his signings (Magennis / Pearce / Rudd) yet am not impressed with his tactics... As one of the favourites in the Division we're far too negative and dont take the game to the opposition so can see why he's never been promoted.

(4)... They need to go simple... As mentioned by many our CEO appears too interested in furthering her own career and I understand that yet with Charlton in so much of a mess that needs to be her priority whilst The owner doesnt bother to attend games and if he truly isnt interested in the club then why keep us?

(5)... Errmmm... You might want to get someone else's views on this question

(6)... CharltonLife is probably the best place to get any information relating to the club as its a real community on here, because of that I dont really bother with any other websites... I do write a small Match Preview myself every week.

(7)... Prior to the season starting I hunted down the kits that each side have and without doubt: Port Vale have one of the best out this season... Because of that I've kept a small eye on them but have been impressed with them and Bury, last season we saw the likes of Burton and Walsall challenging so why not you both this season.

(8)... Charlton v Port Vale is one of my most memorable games... Played you at the Valley in 1995 (was a 2-2 draw), missed one of the Port Vale goals so when the match ended I thought we'd won 2-1, only to be duly told of my error.

(9)... I hope we win because its my Birthday yet despite being fed up with all the draws its a result I'll be happy with, you've only lost the once at home whilst we just have no consistency
  • edited October 2016
    1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
    Fan since 1967, and season ticket holder for most of that time, until this season. I have seen Charlton play away against 92 football league clubs, though some of those games were against teams now out of the league, and at their old grounds. Now go on game by game basis due to the ineptitude of our owner and CEO.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
    At present, anything better than relegation would be good; the ultimate aim this season is to get rid of the owner and CEO.

3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)?
    Brussel Slave is very negative, but he can only play the hand he has been dealt. Woefully short and ponderous in midfield, and overloaded at centre back. Our best player is Ademola Lookman, a teenager playing for England u20's currently (the only non-Premier league player who is).

4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities (I recognise this might be a dangerous topic)?
    Too much to go into, but they are killing our club. We have no board, just a CEO, and owner, as directors. There is no future with them so fans are protesting vehemently for them to go.

5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team?
    The pitch was covered in beach balls early in the Middlesboro game last season, stopping the match several times. The Brighton game was delayed after the pitch was strewn with stress balls. At one game, a group of fans based in a private box all dressed as Pinnochio, to reflect their opinion on what our CEO said. They have not been asked to renew their box this season.

6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team?
    http://addicksdiary3.blogspot.co.uk/

Better than Charlton

2-2, in 1974, last day of season. We scored early, then you scored a minute either side of half time. We equalised late. We all got beaten up by Man Utd fans on the train home (they had been relegated by Citeh that day).

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be?
    2-0 to you guys! 315 faithful fans on a cold Tuesday night.
  • Three cracking replies guys, many thanks. I will put them into an article which will appear on our site a day before the game. Enjoy your trip for those travelling to the Wembley of the North!
  • 1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan? Born in Charlton and saw my first game at The Valley in 1958-59 season. Family history of Charlton fans, but the line ends with me!
    2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)? There is a great deal of pessimism around the place. I think we will avoid relegation but not by much. If we get one or two key injuries, it could be worse.
    3. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season & who should we watch out for (danger players)? It's difficult to judge the manager. His hands have probably been tied. I am sure he didn't want to end up with the squad he has which is short of craft in midfield. Lookman and Holmes are probably the pick of the players.
    4. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities (I recognise this might be a dangerous topic)? Just to take a look around this website and you will find out the general opinion about the board and its activities. Frankly, it couldn't be much worse.
    5. Can you tell us up to 3 quirky things opposing fans might not know about your team? 1) The fans are all trainspotters who bring a flask for half time. 2) The number of chips from the food outlets has dropped 3) The loudest noise at The Valley was in 1976 when The Who played at The Valley and a reading 126 dB was recorded. Our recent protests at the ground have only reached 125 dB.
    6. Our fans love to read opposing team’s forums and blogs, any recommendations on these for your team? Charlton Life is the one
    7. How do you expect Vale to do this season? Better than us
    8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)? I remember a 2-2 draw in 1995. I think we played well on the day and somehow managed to throw it away. I can't remember why
    9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides) and what do you expect your away following to be? We'll score 0 or 1, Vale will score 1 or 2. Away attendance 349.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks TMA, normally I can only fit in 3 but I will squeeze in yours as the fourth and last :)

If anyone else would like to contribute I will be back on with some different questions before the return game next year!
  • Three cracking replies guys, many thanks. I will put them into an article which will appear on our site a day before the game. Enjoy your trip for those travelling to the Wembley of the North!

When did you start ground sharing with Stoke? :smiley:
  • edited October 2016
    One of my Favoutrite always days is Port Vale. Have been there 6 times. In the 2-2 draw a good few years ago, @Clem_Snide admitted serving a long prison sentence for credit card fraud. We also discovered that Burslem has a number of good locations for disposing of dead bodies.
  • See you next year! Oh bollox, you're not getting relegated are you?
  • One of my Favoutrite always days is Port Vale. Have been there 6 times. In the 2-2 draw a good few years ago, @Clem_Snide admitted serving a long prison sentence for credit card fraud. We also discovered that Burslem has a number of good locations for disposing of dead bodies.

In 1974 on the way to Port Vale, some "lad" giving it loads came out of the station, walked straight out into the road and got flattened by a car. Big gash on his eye. Off to hospital for him and he turned up at the game with a massive bandage round his head. I think that may have saved him a further beating on the train home from the relegated Cockney reds
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    I'll give you three quirky titbits: 1) Our nickname, the Addicks stems from a local fishmonger, Arthur 'Ikey' Bryan, who rewarded the team with meals of haddock and chips in the early 20th century. Charlton were known as the Valiants, like Port Vale until they left the Valley. This didn't work anymore for obvious reasons and the Adiicks was chosen. The Addicks has remained because it is quirky and original I suppose. 2) Charlton contested both the 1946 and 1947 cup finals. losing the first to Derby and beating Burnely in the second. Unusually, the ball burst in both finals. However, this can be explained by poorer materials in use just after the war. 3) Not only has the team got worse in recent seasons. The same can be said of the mascots (see picture). Robin the Robin features heavily in the fan's protest song 'More than just a toy'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ITB5HKh9k
  • 1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
    Old git. fan since 1963, season ticket holder for 45 years in succession up until this season.

Under this regime to splutter and fail, escape relegation possibly, thought I wouldn't bank on it.

Russell Slade is a nice guy who was either duped or if he went into this with his eyes open has not been especially supported. watch out for Ricky Holmes who i don't think was actually a Slade signing.

Where do I start. Do a bit of research into CARD and you will see there a reflection of my stance with regard to this regime.

a). We are too cool to actually be fit.
    b). We try to pretend that Roger Johnson is part of the main matchday squad but know playing him will ratchet up the toxicity even more.
    c). We play young players as a means of shop windowing them, not in order to win matches.

Charlton Life.

Top eight minimum.

Last minute Steve Gritt equaliser at Vale Park on a very cold midweek evening.

Could be any darn score, not that it matters to the owner either way.