Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best and worst football pundits

Who are your favourite and least favourite pundits?

I find most of the best pundits are not the ex-pros but the journalists who've worked their way up to the job, people like Phil Vickery or Henry Winter, but in terms of ex pros Gary Neville stands out, Lee Dixon is OK, and Bilic was good in Euro 2016. Le Tiss is alright on Soccer Saturday.

There are a lot more candidates for the worst! Robbie Savage, Garth Crooks and Steve Claridge all annoy me a lot, but the most annoying at the moment for me is Chris Sutton - dull, ignorant, sour, and very dismissive of and sulky towards anyone who has a different view to him (and in doing so is probably right), despite that debate basically being his job.

Comments

• Least : Owen - Had his autobiography when i was younger too ironically, but he is the most dull and predictable pundit. I used to think ITV were bad but still he is by far the worst commentator

Best: Nevill - Again opposite, i couldnt stand him as a player. But he knows what he is talking about
  • Haven't heard too much of Owen to be honest but heard he's dull!
  • Must be frustrating if you're an ex-player who actually has something interesting to say, when tv companies just go for the most famous players. Who can actually be surprised that Michael Owen is a boring pundit?
  • Uboat said:

I like the ones that tell me something I didn't know.
    I can't stand the ones who state the obvious, 'Great cross, great header' etc.
    I really hate it when you're on a station that has ad breaks and three pundits, so they all get one sentence in exchange for their £40k.

I absolutely cannot stand Mark Lawrenson. Where did he get the idea that he is funny or a character? I even heard him described as a 'national treasure' the other day.

I cannot stand Mark Lawrenson. He is an idiot who tries to sound intelligent by being patronising. If a pundit says something intelligent before him he repeats it in a more incredulous and louder voice to take credit and dismiss the co-presenter.

If he hadn't been around so long I'd say he's the greatest WUM alive.
  • edited October 2016
    Worst, Hoddle. And that's by a cuntry mile (yes I'm aware of my typo) But mentions also for Savage and Sutton (who just seems to argue toss with other pundits regardless of if the are right or wrong).

Gary Neville is the best. Have also warmed to Carragher.
  • Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle on Saturday afternoons for NBC Sports are good, ;) but at the same time there's an American fella that replaces one of them occasionally hes shocking. If I hear soccer and locker room one more time I'll cancel my Kodi subscription.
  • I like Stuart Pearce. There is always a bit of feistiness in him when that Rob bloke on Sky asks him a stupid question.
    Cannot stand Gerry " you know" Francis. Needs to have a whip round for a decent haircut as well.
  • Worst : Robbie Savage , Mark Lawrenson , Stan Collymore , Danny Mills , Michael Owen.

Best: Gary Neville , Craig Burley , Danny Murphy , Peter Begrie , Gerry Armstrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    Neville sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but his managerial work has undermined it for me. Especially this week's comments about why they picked Wilshere over Drinkwater. He played a big part in the worst England performance of all time. That shouldn't be ignored.

Davey Proven, whoever the hell he is, is of the Mark Bright "why did he do this? Why didn't he do that?" School of punditry, and I have to mute the TV.

Most pundits are of equal value. But I can't listen to Jon Champion or Peter Drury. The latter of which drones on and on and on. Be glad he's not a poster here. "Here we are, on Charlton Life on this day, of all days, where the month reaches October, and the day is within the first week of said month, as I write this post on my laptop, surrounded by a room, built by the hands of builders long ago, as they put up houses for which people may reside in, houses that employ doors to allow the entrance of guests and residents...." He's incessant. He doesn't stop.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Neville sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but his managerial work has undermined it for me. Especially this week's comments about why they picked Wilshere over Drinkwater. He played a big part in the worst England performance of all time. That shouldn't be ignored.

Davey Proven, whoever the hell he is, is of the Mark Bright "why did he do this? Why didn't he do that?" School of punditry, and I have to mute the TV.

Most pundits are of equal value. But I can't listen to Jon Champion or Peter Drury. The latter of which drones on and on and on. Be glad he's not a poster here. "Here we are, on Charlton Life on this day, of all days, where the month reaches October, and the day is within the first week of said month, as I write this post on my laptop, surrounded by a room, built by the hands of builders long ago, as they put up houses for which people may reside in, houses that employ doors to allow the entrance of guests and residents...." He's incessant. He doesn't stop.

Just because Neville has failed in management thus far, doesn't mean he can't be a good pundit . Being tactically aware doesn't necessarily mean you have managerial quality
  • I've really enjoyed Brad Friedel's analysis on the rare occasions he's been given the opportunity. Really surprised he's not used more often
  • Neville and Carragher are good to watch. I don't mind Jermaine Jenas either.

Agree about Sutton, awful.
  • edited October 2016
    Ian St John, Jimmy Greaves, Ron Atkinson, Brian Clough and Andy Gray
  • wmcf123 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Just because Neville has failed in management thus far, doesn't mean he can't be a good pundit . Being tactically aware doesn't necessarily mean you have managerial quality
    If he's talking about dressing rooms, playing right back, life under Fergie etc then sure, he's a font of knowledge. He's articulate and his style isn't prone to the complaints levelled at others above. He's a very good all-round pundit.

But when he's explaining tactics, it becomes relevant. When he's telling us what a manager should or shouldn't do, he has been undermined by the plethora of evidence showing his tactical nous, or at least his ability to communicate it to players, isn't as strong as it seems. You can ignore it and enjoy him, of course, but you can't honestly say he hasn't been undermined by it to some degree.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

wmcf123 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

If he's talking about dressing rooms, playing right back, life under Fergie etc then sure, he's a font of knowledge. He's articulate and his style isn't prone to the complaints levelled at others above. He's a very good all-round pundit.

But when he's explaining tactics, it becomes relevant. When he's telling us what a manager should or shouldn't do, he has been undermined by the plethora of evidence showing his tactical nous, or at least his ability to communicate it to players, isn't as strong as it seems. You can ignore it and enjoy him, of course, but you can't honestly say he hasn't been undermined by it to some degree.
    This is the key thing I think - he can be right about what needs without knowing how to get that across to players.

• I can't stand Andy Townsend. Absolutely awful. Actually most ITV pundits are poor.

Like Gary Nev, Le Tiss and Kammy. I also used to like Andy Gray (his punditry not his personality).
  • Best ones for me are mainly those who deal with the Football League matches so the list would be

Gary Neville | Don Goodman | Andy Hinchcliffe | Danny Higginbotham | Peter Beagrie | Lee Dixon | Martin Keown | Mark Lawrenson

Worst ones though: Andy Townsend | Glenn Hoddle | Michael Owen | Robbie Savage | Niall Quinn | Ray Wilkins
  • I know she's not a pundit but Bianca Westwood is bloody terrible trying to explain the action on soccer saturday. Uses such basic language and struggles to get sentences out at any speed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

I know she's not a pundit but Bianca Westwood is bloody terrible trying to explain the action on soccer saturday. Uses such basic language and struggles to get sentences out at any speed.

In regards to Soccer Saturday it's almost as if people see the success that Jeff Stelling has along with Chris Kamara and try to replicate that.

Yet just need to do their own thing, Kamara is successful at that role because he's been making mistakes for years and has found it funny whereas everyone tries to do it after five minutes
  • It always makes me laugh when Dowie is asked for his expert opinion.

Mug
  • Iain shithead Dowie. What a total mug.
  • Paul Walsh now on Soccer Saturday talking about Charlton, saying how bad foreign absent owners are ! Go on Walshie!
  • Worst - Kevin Kilbane, Garth Crooks

Best - Roy Keane, Ian Wright , Lee Dixon

Better than I expected - Jermaine Jenas
  • Watching soccer Saturday through HD subs with that fat prat Dowie on. He just repeats what others have said 5 minutes before.
  • Punditry itself is a long past it's sell by date as a format.
    We are listening to people who don't pay for tickets, don't really schlepp miles to games and rarely have any affiliation.
    What they call insight with all the graphics and technology and such like is saying the glaringly obvious, made worse if they have had time to study stuff from every aspect yet passed off as instant glorious and observational skill.
    The whole punditry industry is a fraudulent extension of a players brand, and for the media insiders it is about the glam gig with a juicy opportunity to exaggerate expenses.
    If these pundits are so great, do some live punditry at Braintree v East Thurrock without being patronising.
    We all write post match stuff on here which has the authenticity and direct honesty that professional pundits can only dream of.
    A postscript is how biased they are against officials, feigning astonishment if an official gets a hindsight analysed decision right, but rarely digging out the players who transgress in the first place.
    Our very own Danny's, Mills and Murphy, are two of the biggest wankers of them all.
  • Cannavaro was brilliant at the World Cup in Brazil.
  • Talal said:

I know she's not a pundit but Bianca Westwood is bloody terrible trying to explain the action on soccer saturday. Uses such basic language and struggles to get sentences out at any speed.

I used to work with Bianca, selecting music for the soccer Saturday pieces she was producing. They promoted her to an on-camera role a few years back and it took her ages to get over the nerves from what I could tell. She just about does the job now, but found her presenting limit I think. She didn't last long on the show she did with John Fendley.
  • Still would though.