Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton's Number 10 needs a Hip Operation and has to self fund.....

No not Ajose but Gemma Shepherd of the Womens Team.

Those on Twitter etc who follow the Womens team will know that Gemma Shepherd needs a hip op but also needs to fund this herself. Despite RD/KM using the Women's team to promote CAFC they receive NO funding from them, and I mean none, nothing, diddly squat. All they get is the use of Sparrows Lane, everything else they have to self fund right down to the footballs!

Therefore if anyone has any spare money, or indeed if you are currently protesting by not attending the Valley could you spare your 'football for a fiver' cash for Gem, see

https://www.gofundme.com/gemsheps

£2800 still needed to reach £5k, that's 560 of us at £5 a pop. Every penny will be appreciated if you can't reach to £5.

Thanks for listening! Lets embarrass KM/the regime further.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Bloody hell.

I just mentioned the abysmal treatment by WHUFC of their women's team, but this is just as shameful.
  • Exactly, we have a Women CEO for &*%&^ sake, you'd think she'd be supportive...... oh hold in it's Pinocchio we are talking about ;-)

I've spent what I would usually at the Valley (food, drink, programmes etc) by sponsoring a few of the Women's Team (only £50 a player!).

If it wasn't for a couple of people who put in not inconsiderable sums each year the Womens team wouldn't exist, just thought the player deserves all the help true Charlton Supporters can give.

If you are so inclined the Womens team themselves need all the funding/help they can get. Contact details are on their Website.
  • Thanks, only 539 more people at 'football for a fiver' level required......
  • Will donate tonight.

Have you sent this to KM?
  • 25May98 said:

Will donate tonight.

Have you sent this to KM?

Thanks

I haven't personally, but I'd lay another £50 she's likely aware. though she's been to as many of the Women's games as Roly has the men's....... in fact probably less.

To be fair/balanced I don't think the previous regime dipped into their pockets that much either for the Womens team, but that doesn't make it right.

• Donated and on my Facebook page
    Will someone connected to the women's team please keep CL informed as to how Gemma progresses
  • Donated and on my Facebook page
    Will someone connected to the women's team please keep CL informed as to how Gemma progresses

Many thanks, will update CL on progress.
  • Recently withdrew from Valley Gold and was told in an email that: ' as you know the money not only goes to the academy but to other good causes too like the ladies team, the museum and the deaf team to name a few.'
    Would this not be a good investment then for Valley Gold! Outrageous that she has to self fund. Donating now. Good luck, Gemma, and hope all goes well. Please keep us posted of her progress.
  • edited October 2016
    https://www.gofundme.com/gemsheps

Trying to link the page correctly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Done. That's one brave and determined young lady - proud to call her a true Addick.
  • Done, club should doing this. Shambles
  • Can someone remind me what the rules are with the NHS surrounding sport-related injuries? Is it that they're not covered at all?

Also, donated. Was at the Portland Thorns women's football match yesterday. Absolutely brilliant. Incredibly high standard of play, and at least four players would make it in the Charlton side. I really hope that women's football becomes more popular in England, particularly amongst clubs. It's obviously far bigger and more engrained in the culture here, and the women provide excellent role models for young girls and boys.
  • Thanks everyone so far, I reckon the last £350 is from fans.

Not sure re NHS but i guess there's a long waiting list and they don't necessarily perform a procedure to get you back to a professional sports level.

I agree that the standard of womens football is very very good, technically often better than mens IMHO.
  • SDAddick said:

Can someone remind me what the rules are with the NHS surrounding sport-related injuries? Is it that they're not covered at all?

Also, donated. Was at the Portland Thorns women's football match yesterday. Absolutely brilliant. Incredibly high standard of play, and at least four players would make it in the Charlton side. I really hope that women's football becomes more popular in England, particularly amongst clubs. It's obviously far bigger and more engrained in the culture here, and the women provide excellent role models for young girls and boys.

Not too sure about the NHS, they will most likely patch you up - but as @Rob7Lee points out - that will be within the usual waiting times etc.

I imagine this leaves an issue whereby they don't have adequate healthcare cover provided then, as should you take out a private healthcare policy then nearly all have clauses about competitive/professional sports injuries.

I did some work for a medical software company, and seem to recall our invoicing and billing module had support for what was essentially a "Premier League contract", and then there was specific contracts for other football clubs (QPR being one I seem to remember). This cover seemed to be wayyyyy more permissive with the types of diagnostics/imaging procedures that were permitted.
  • Done!

The Upbeats, the women's team, CACT... there is still good at the club worth supporting!
  • edited October 2016
    Done, a small donation, but I see there's over £3k donated to date.

Well done the "customers".
  • Sponsored links:

• Chipped in with a few quid. Would be really good to see a few of the first team making a donation too.
  • Would be really good to see a few of the first team making a donation too.

I agree, we can but try.......
  • rikofold said:

Recently withdrew from Valley Gold and was told in an email that: ' as you know the money not only goes to the academy but to other good causes too like the ladies team, the museum and the deaf team to name a few.'
    Would this not be a good investment then for Valley Gold! Outrageous that she has to self fund. Donating now. Good luck, Gemma, and hope all goes well. Please keep us posted of her progress.

We do give money to the women's team each year. What they do with it is up to them really. I tend to agree it's a nice thing to do and will raise with the committee whether we could do something extra this year. Working on the assumption she's not about to retire and reward herself with a new hip.
    Thanks, Rikofold, I didn't doubt it but wondered if they did 'one-off' donations like this. Fantastic response from the CL community as ever!
  • I can't donate to Gemma's fund because I'm opposed to private health treatment but so people don't think I'm a skinflint I'll donat £5 to a suitable charity.
  • Donated £10.

Best of luck Emma with your fund-raising activities and the operation.
  • I feel for her...but I dont think the club should pay for her op.

I suspect they do not make any money from the womens team (how many here go and pay to watch them?). Is she an employee of the club? If she isnt, there is even less of an incentive to pay for it.
  • Ill make a little donation purely on the base of that witty jokey comment. Well I think he's trying to be funny.
  • I can't donate to Gemma's fund because I'm opposed to private health treatment but so people don't think I'm a skinflint I'll donat £5 to a suitable charity.

Why?