Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Sensible Soccer Ratings

Heres how Charlton look in a proper football game. Thoughts?

Comments

• Aaaah, those were the days, loved a bit of Sensible Soccer.

I dream of a team like that now (except Jamie Stuart, he was pants!)
  • Swapping John Robinson and Mark Kinsella around surely?
  • edited September 2016
    This is the default look for Charlton in the game, so blame Jon Hare the designer!
  • Bradley Allen ahead of Whyte !!!!
  • edited September 2016
    Its harsh leaving Steve Brown and Keith Jones on the bench (Especially as Brownie wont let you down) yet with Mortimer in the Midfield with Kinsella its definitely understandable having Jones on the bench.

Even these days I still play Sensible World of Soccer

Without doubt is still the best Football game around and would love it if they made an updated version with sharper graphics yet the same concept (rather than the awful one they went with when they released Sensible Soccer again around 2006)
  • Usually though play the slightly older version which has the Strike force of Whyte / Nelson / Leaburn... Always swap Nelson for Roy Makaay when he was @ Vitesse Arnhem and bring in a speedy left-midfielder (Frederik Sordell) in place of the slightly slower Lee Bowyer.

Sordell doesnt have the Shooting or Finishing compared to Bowyer but use him to carry the ball and so pass to Makaay and score... that always gets me promotion to the Premier League and instantly sign either Henrik Larsson or Jorgen Petterson with the majority of my prize money (for £2m) which either wins me the Premier League at the first attempt or I get damned close, then the next summer I always bring in a £3m Goalkeeper which allows me to dominate the world!!
  • Usually though play the slightly older version which has the Strike force of Whyte / Nelson / Leaburn... Always swap Nelson for Roy Makaay when he was @ Vitesse Arnhem and bring in a speedy left-midfielder (Frederik Sordell) in place of the slightly slower Lee Bowyer.

Sordell doesnt have the Shooting or Finishing compared to Bowyer but use him to carry the ball and so pass to Makaay and score... that always gets me promotion to the Premier League and instantly sign either Henrik Larsson or Jorgen Petterson with the majority of my prize money (for £2m) which either wins me the Premier League at the first attempt or I get damned close, then the next summer I always bring in a £3m Goalkeeper which allows me to dominate the world!!

back then, you could win the league for the value of pogbas toenail
  • Let see if we can get this thread to more comments/views then the FIFA 17 one. Surely a screenshot of the 96/97 squad will resonate more with the baby boomers who are the majority on here then that millennial hipster FIFA crap.
  • Arie Van de Padt (spelling?) was a good striker from the Dutch (?) league, bargain at £300k. Very fast.
  • You're old
  • Sponsored links:

• **NOTE** I got a virus warning from the link on the OP
  • Once I decided to see how many goals I could score with one player over a season, used Florin Raducioiu as he was quick and scored over 150, was never the toughest game but great fun.
    Then in real life he shows up at West Ham and was shit. Think he went shopping instead of turning up on a matchday once.
  • Arie Van de Padt (spelling?) was a good striker from the Dutch (?) league, bargain at £300k. Very fast.

From Den Haag?

And Lee Barrow from Torquay was the best left back in the game.

• Chizz said:

**NOTE** I got a virus warning from the link on the OP

Was it the Y2K bug?
  • Need to change that formation to a 532, sweeper behind the goalie heading everything off the line, more relevant when you played again your mates

From Den Haag?

And Lee Barrow from Torquay was the best left back in the game.

Correct

• Salmon or Petterson? Think I'd have Brown in goal.
  • Fuck me, you guys must've absolutely loved TeleText.
  • LuckyReds said:

Fuck me, you guys must've absolutely loved TeleText.

Right I'm off to beat one out now!!!
  • what you thinking of?
    Ceefax or Oracle ?
  • Sponsored links:

• It was a very playable game. Still great to play now.
  • Where can one get hold of a usable version or emulation of Sensible Soccer?
    I never had an Amiga but my mate Jim had one and our year on the dole passed very quickly indeed, afternoons on weed and Sensible Soccer, only hassle was the amiga joysticks would only last about a week which mopped up the fortnightly benefits a bit quickly, happy days :)
  • edited September 2016
    Sensible World of Soccer. The greatest game ever made. Ever. Ever. Ever. End of. Fullstop. Ever.

It was doing FIFA management modes while EA sports were still trying to get to grips with stopping you from avoiding a red card by just running away from the ref and is still more playable than any football game have played before or since.

Used to sell Leaburn or Bradeley Allen straight away and sign Tommy Mooney. 200K, fast and a goal machine.

Within about 3 seasons of him banging in 20 plus I'd have Tony Yeboah up font, Abede Pele on the left and Fernando Redondo in midfield and I'd be basically unstoppable after that.

https://youtu.be/ebj8OoaJME4?t=43m50s
  • Where can one get hold of a usable version or emulation of Sensible Soccer?
    I never had an Amiga but my mate Jim had one and our year on the dole passed very quickly indeed, afternoons on weed and Sensible Soccer, only hassle was the amiga joysticks would only last about a week which mopped up the fortnightly benefits a bit quickly, happy days :)

Just do a Google... You can pick up the PC version for free now, there is also a German SWOS Forum out there which continues to do updates so there will be a 2016/17 season one.

I'll post the link when I get home if need be
  • CAFCTrev said:

Let see if we can get this thread to more comments/views then the FIFA 17 one. Surely a screenshot of the 96/97 squad will resonate more with the baby boomers who are the majority on here then that millennial hipster FIFA crap.

Fav footie game rad cheaper than fifa 17
  • Tad cheaper
  • When are we finally gonna see a live game of Speedball 2? Is gegen-pressing there yet, have we perfected Brutal Deluxe???? ;)

Where are those hoverboards promised to us in BTTF 1?

Hurry up...u ain't got time to wait in the Running Man 
  • edited December 2019