Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Landlord Advice

edited September 2016 in Not Sports Related
So I have moved house in the past couple of weeks, and have had nothing but problems with the old landlord and estate agent that fronted him.

At first, we were told that the incoming tenants wanted any furniture we were leaving behind, and as we were looking to replace it ask anyway that was fine. We also used professional cleaning products to give the place a going over and the estate agent came round to check everything was fine.

He said it was and we'd be due the full deposit within 24 hours

48 hours past and no deposit was forthcoming, when we contacted him again he then claimed we needed to get rid of the furniture, as the tenants didn't want it and it's an unfurnished flat. So, slightly bemused, me and my partner went over, took apart the flimsy shit we left there and threw it all away, and even cleaned again just to make sure it was hunky dory.

We then get another text a day later saying the blinds to the windows were dusty (baring in mind the place hasn't been lived in for 2 weeks now and these Venetian blinds were a complete dust magnet) and the landlord's wife wasn't happy as she had to clean them herself. We said take it out of the deposit if you want, as cleaning products and labour for the cleaning of 3 window blinds is hardly going to break the bank.

Then after another 2 days the estate agent tells us everything is fine, thanks for being reliable tenants and sends us the deposit.

Now, today, 2 days afterwards, he has just text me to tell me the landlord is unhappy with the cleanliness of the oven and expects me to get someone to come over and professionally deep clean it...

I have my deposit back
I have no keys to the old flat
I have already sorted out my new place and don't need a reference or anything from the old estate agent
They had already inspected the entire flat twice and said all is fine

So what should I do? Technically, I don't have to do anything, right? We are no longer his tenants, I have my money and we don't have a legal contract or anything with them any more. Is the landlord and his wife just trying to take the piss? Any advice would help!

Comments

• You don't need to do anything by the sound of that. They can't release a deposit then expect you to go back and clean. Just ignore it.
  • Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

However I would have thought that return of the deposit ends any contractual relationship that existed between you and you would be quite within your rights to simply ignore the estate agent.

• I'd just say that you moved out weeks ago, they checked it and said it was fine at the time and refunded your deposit on that basis, you no longer have keys and that if they have a problem with the oven - they're going to have to clean it themselves as you've moved away.

If you make the point firmly that you won't be sending them money or coming back to clean it, then I'd just ignore any emails they send to you demanding things if they don't let it go.

Even if they wanted to be ridiculous and go legal on you (which they probably couldn't even do based upon your post), the cost of that vs just giving the oven a scrub would be made clear to them by whoever they spoke to.

You're in the good position that they haven't got your deposit to ransom with, so 'tough tits' if they don't like what the oven is like now. Lesson learned for them.
  • Talal said:

You don't need to do anything by the sound of that. They can't release a deposit then expect you to go back and clean. Just ignore it.

LenGlover said:

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

However I would have thought that return of the deposit ends any contractual relationship that existed between you and you would be quite within your rights to simply ignore the estate agent.

That's what i thought as well, however they have my new address as we had to give it to them for the reference and for any mail missing the redirection, and I don't want any trouble from them to come about. They also mainly contact my partner as she was the main name on the oroginal tenancy agreement and she is now panicking over the whole thing. Do you think, if anything more comes of it, that citizens advice would be able to help in matters like this? Going on holiday at the weekend and could really do without the stress!
  • edited September 2016
    As the deposit has now been released, there are only three courses of action you are legally able to take.

1) Replace the oven for your landlord and thank him for his understanding, or
    2) Get you partner to sleep with him as cleaning in kind - normal business practice, or
    3) Tell him to feck off.
  • tell the landlord to jog on hes trying to see how far you will go, as you say you are no longer legally binding to do it and if he wasnt such a penis in the 1st place you might of been a bit more considerate.
  • I would say you are fine mate. It is only £40 to have the oven deep cleaned, so if you are worried it hardly will be breaking the bank.
  • edited September 2016
    sam3110 said:

Talal said:

You don't need to do anything by the sound of that. They can't release a deposit then expect you to go back and clean. Just ignore it.

LenGlover said:

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

That's what i thought as well, however they have my new address as we had to give it to them for the reference and for any mail missing the redirection, and I don't want any trouble from them to come about. They also mainly contact my partner as she was the main name on the oroginal tenancy agreement and she is now panicking over the whole thing. Do you think, if anything more comes of it, that citizens advice would be able to help in matters like this? Going on holiday at the weekend and could really do without the stress!
    I really don't think you or your partner need to stress over this mate, you've done nothing wrong from what you've written. If they've released the deposit too early then that's their problem, they will have to suck it up and clean the oven themselves. I mean it's just a dirty oven ffs, you should've seen the state my tenants left my flat in! I don't see any need for your partner to even entertain any phone calls or texts. Relax on holiday and ignore it all (though I am also no lawyer to copy Len)
  • You have your deposit and the estate agent has said things are fine, if there is an issue your old landlord needs to take it up with the estate agent not you. You haven't lived there for nearly 3 weeks you can argue that it was clean when you left hence the return of the deposit and any mess or dirt must have occurred since then
  • Sponsored links:

• Do fuck all mate. You have the money back, you sound like a responsible tenant who went to the trouble to clean/sort the place out. They've given you nod on the place (or the estate agent has)
  • Could always email Katrien she might help...
  • As a landlord to many I can confirm that, so long as you have received your deposit back from your former landlord/estate agent, your tenancy has ended and you no longer have any responsibility for the upkeep of the property

The landlord should now take up any issues with the estate agent if they didn't authorise the release of the funds to you.

In a nut she'll, f**k em.
  • You have your deposit and the estate agent has said things are fine, if there is an issue your old landlord needs to take it up with the estate agent not you. You haven't lived there for nearly 3 weeks you can argue that it was clean when you left hence the return of the deposit and any mess or dirt must have occurred since then

You have your deposit and the estate agent has said things are fine, if there is an issue your old landlord needs to take it up with the estate agent not you. You haven't lived there for nearly 3 weeks you can argue that it was clean when you left hence the return of the deposit and any mess or dirt must have occurred since then

This.
    Ovens get dirty during cooking. The fact the agent has signed off your leaving and returned the deposit means the contract is at an end in my view.
  • Cheers guys, I thought that was the case, just wanted to make sure. I reckon the estate agent has got a lower standard of cleanliness than the landlord, and has already handed over the deposit, whether he was meant to or not, which is none of my concern.

I mean the oven is 15 years old, one of the hob rings doesn't work and the oven itself was basically a massive grill, it only cooked the top of things since we moved in, 2 and a half years ago, and we even ovenbrite and hobbrited the fecking thing, he'd be better off buying a new one to be honest.

• As others have said, you have your deposit so that's that. Just ignore them they'll eventually give up.

Going through dealings with a lettings agent myself at the moment. They really are a disgrace. If you are the renter they honestly believe you work for them, not the other way round. There needs to be a complete overhaul of the system with proper regulation put in place to stop some of the cowboy behaviour that is going on. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.
  • edited September 2016

As a landlord to many I can confirm that, so long as you have received your deposit back from your former landlord/estate agent, your tenancy has ended and you no longer have any responsibility for the upkeep of the property

The landlord should now take up any issues with the estate agent if they didn't authorise the release of the funds to you.

Is this your way of saying "I am considerably richer than y'all" smily windy thing.
  • As a landlord to many I can confirm that, so long as you have received your deposit back from your former landlord/estate agent, your tenancy has ended and you no longer have any responsibility for the upkeep of the property

Is this your way of saying "I am considerably richer than y'all" smily windy thing.
    Far from it. More a case of passing on my experience. Yields on properties aren't that great, especially if said properties cause you no end of maintenance work. Couple that with rising ground rents and service charges and what's left isn't much to write home about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Lessons have been learnt so not all bad.

The main one being never move into a property previously occupied by sam3110 and his partner because they never do any proactive cleaning.

After this exchange with the agent I wish I still had a key so I could shit into a paper bag, stick it in the oven and leave the fucker on for them to find

Far from it. More a case of passing on my experience. Yields on properties aren't that great, especially if said properties cause you no end of maintenance work. Couple that with rising ground rents and service charges and what's left isn't much to write home about.
    I'm not disputing your circumstances BBW, but the money I pay in rent I cannot believe MY landlords aren't making an absolute killing. With interest rates at what they are, (crudely) I would've thought being a landlord was an absolute gravy train
  • And if anyone does want a flat professionally cleaned before they move out. Don't be afraid to ask.

Cash of course.
  • sam3110 said:

So I have moved house in the past couple of weeks, and have had nothing but problems with the old landlord and estate agent that fronted him.

At first, we were told that the incoming tenants wanted any furniture we were leaving behind, and as we were looking to replace it ask anyway that was fine. We also used professional cleaning products to give the place a going over and the estate agent came round to check everything was fine.

48 hours past and no deposit was forthcoming, when we contacted him again he then claimed we needed to get rid of the furniture, as the tenants didn't want it and it's an unfurnished flat. So, slightly bemused, me and my partner went over, took apart the flimsy shit we left there and threw it all away, and even cleaned again just to make sure it was hunky dory.

We then get another text a day later saying the blinds to the windows were dusty (baring in mind the place hasn't been lived in for 2 weeks now and these Venetian blinds were a complete dust magnet) and the landlord's wife wasn't happy as she had to clean them herself. We said take it out of the deposit if you want, as cleaning products and labour for the cleaning of 3 window blinds is hardly going to break the bank.

Then after another 2 days the estate agent tells us everything is fine, thanks for being reliable tenants and sends us the deposit.

Now, today, 2 days afterwards, he has just text me to tell me the landlord is unhappy with the cleanliness of the oven and expects me to get someone to come over and professionally deep clean it...

I have my deposit back
    I have already sorted out my new place and don't need a reference or anything from the old estate agent

So what should I do? Technically, I don't have to do anything, right? We are no longer his tenants, I have my money and we don't have a legal contract or anything with them any more. Is the landlord and his wife just trying to take the piss? Any advice would help!

They are trying to take the piss and have done to a degree by conning some of the deposit out of you. Fucking arseholes. If the agent said it was fine, it was fine if the landlord disagreed it's for him to give some coaching to the letting agents. The toilets.

• In truth you cannot be expected to clean it after you've vacated.

It would now be, technically, possible for someone else to have been in used the cooker and left it in a mess. The Agent, who presumably, held the deposit was the one that should have checked it before returning the deposit. If there is any liability now it will be with the Agent who, I expect, was paid a fee to arrange it all for the landlord.
  • Carter said:

sam3110 said:

I have my deposit back

They are trying to take the piss and have done to a degree by conning some of the deposit out of you. Fucking arseholes. If the agent said it was fine, it was fine if the landlord disagreed it's for him to give some coaching to the letting agents. The toilets.

Got the whole deposit back, but yeah everything else, just seemed off. Reckon we've lucked out on the estate agent being a dopey twat releasing the deposit before landlord OK'ed it
  • cabbles said:

As a landlord to many I can confirm that, so long as you have received your deposit back from your former landlord/estate agent, your tenancy has ended and you no longer have any responsibility for the upkeep of the property

I'm not disputing your circumstances BBW, but the money I pay in rent I cannot believe MY landlords aren't making an absolute killing. With interest rates at what they are, (crudely) I would've thought being a landlord was an absolute gravy train
    What about the strange smell though?

:wink:
  • sam3110 said:

Carter said:

sam3110 said:

I have my deposit back

Got the whole deposit back, but yeah everything else, just seemed off. Reckon we've lucked out on the estate agent being a dopey twat releasing the deposit before landlord OK'ed it
    He's an estate agent mate, expect nothing and they will still manage to let you down. Glad you didn't have to pay out
  • LenGlover said:

cabbles said:

What about the strange smell though?

:wink:
    I've updated the thread now Len - new development