Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joey Barton

Mr Barton takes the award for 2009 for the pot calling the kettle black :-

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton claims the decadent lifestyles of many players puts them out of touch with reality.

Barton's own discipline problems have seen him jailed but he told Radio 4's Today programme that gave him a sense of perspective other players lack.

"A lot of them are so detached from reality it's untrue and there was a stage when I was like that," he said.

"It's only the fact I'm grounded by the trouble I've been in that's forced me away from being in the football world."

Barton also said the huge amounts of money players were paid added to their sense of isolation from the world that normal fans live in.

"Driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it's going out of fashion in the middle of a recession when some people are struggling to put food on the table for the kids - it's not the way to do it," he said.

Former Manchester City player Barton, 27, who has one England cap, has been plagued by unsavoury episodes the whole way through his career.

His list of misdemeanours includes stubbing a lit cigarette into the eye of a team-mate, slapping a fan, hitting Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo and assaulting a man during a night out in Liverpool, which earned him a six-month prison sentence.

I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it

And he admitted he could have been in even more trouble had other incidents been made public.

"That's the stuff people know about - there's stuff I got away with," he said.

"I'm very fortunate, because of my profile and the job I do, and the fact I'm in the public eye, it got addressed - I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it."

Barton addressed some of his personal problems with counsellors at the Sporting Chance clinic, which helps sports men and women with lifestyle and addiction problems, and is now a vocal public advocate of the clinic's work.

Comments

• And who says prison doesn't rehabilitate. Living proof, right there.
  • I vividly remember a Football Focus 4-5 years ago where they interviewed Joey Barton. They sat by a riverbank while he did some fishing and spoke about how his brother going to prison had really shaken him up, how he was glad to have overcome some of the bad things in his past and focus on his footballing career, which was beginning to go from strength to strength. I fell for his spiel that time, but I don't think I will again.
  • Weren't we close to signing this scumbag once - or at least in the hunt?

Vermin.
  • "And he admitted he could have been in even more trouble had other incidents been made public.

"That's the stuff people know about - there's stuff I got away with," he said.

God only knows what else he got up to then! An absolute prick who should've been kicked out of football a long time ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I vividly remember a Football Focus 4-5 years ago where they interviewed Joey Barton. They sat by a riverbank while he did some fishing and spoke about how his brother going to prison had really shaken him up, how he was glad to have overcome some of the bad things in his past and focus on his footballing career, which was beginning to go from strength to strength. I fell for his spiel that time, but I don't think I will again.

Heard the interview. He sounded very sincere and can't disagree with many of his thoughts re top pro footballers but as you say we've heard the reformed character bit before. Real Jekyll & Hyde is Joey!

He also said most professional footballers are "nobs". Sadly, probably about right.
  • Wasn't he on some sort of extremely lucrative deal that still paid him for 'Media Rights' even though he was banged up ?
  • You have to ask yourself why did this come out now??

Could it be the Transfer window is about to open, and some struggling Prem teams may look at a player like him??

Dont believe any of it, just looking for a move thats all
  • Sponsored links:

• A Scouse no-mark. Expect him to move on to yet another club soon and be in the headlines again for all the wrong reasons.
  • My money would be on Bolton, depending on who they get in to manage them.

This bloke's an utter, utter turd. He's not even a veey good player - I never understood the fuss about him at the time, he always seemed to me to be a very poor man's Scott Parker
  • To be fair it's quite a good interview. He's not saying anything wrong. Admitting he's a fk up, and that he's lucky because of his job. I quite like the nutter.

He's slagging off flash footballers stupid lifestyles, which I suspect is a view shared by those pouring scorn on him for saying this.
  • i'd rather the flash footballers lead a stupid lifestyle than went round bullying people ... it's their dough let em spunk it how they want
  • Scott Parker out, Joey "has anyone got a light" Barton in. Bit of media spin put about by his agent to convince Zola and the Hamsters that he's a changed man and worth (yet) another fresh start.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]I vividly remember a Football Focus 4-5 years ago where they interviewed Joey Barton. They sat by a riverbank while he did some fishing and spoke about how his brother going to prison had really shaken him up, how he was glad to have overcome some of the bad things in his past and focus on his footballing career, which was beginning to go from strength to strength. I fell for his spiel that time, but I don't think I will again.

Yep I saw that too. All turned out to be autocue read Bullshit didn't it!
  • maybe hes changed,it can happen
  • 3 week ban by rangers.
  • No fine so sounds like they want to see if he will go away and keep his trap shut, if not he'll be off if he does it proves he wants to play for Rangers and MW.

• Sponsored links:

• Legend in his own cornflakes.

Living proof that if you continue to spout incessant clap trap about yourself and others you will eventually kid yourself into believing it because of your lack of intellect and ability.
  • If he does get released IMO he would walk into any team currently in the championship.

Three full season in the Championship and three promotion.

If he wasn't so controversial he would have never had to play in that league in the first place.
  • colthe3rd said:

Strange situation. Surely you either sack him, or you all shake hands and he carries on playing.
    What difference does 3 weeks make? If team mates think he's a cunt who's gone too far, then they'll still think it in 3 weeks time.

Same club that does stuff like this

That's disgraceful. How on earth did they get away with that?

Have UEFA been informed?

• If he does get released IMO he would walk into any team currently in the championship.

Three full season in the Championship and three promotion.

If he wasn't so controversial he would have never had to play in that league in the first place.

He could have stayed at Burnley. Dyche said there was an offer on the table but he chose Rangers probably for more money.
  • Think it was Rangers offered 2 years with Burnley only offering 1 year.
  • Think it was Rangers offered 2 years with Burnley only offering 1 year.

Makes sense .
  • How is old Joey Barton doing ignoring the ban?
  • Rangers sign a vicious, idiotic man with a history of doing vicious idiotic things. Then suspends vicious idiotic man for doing the exact things he is known for.

He's nothing but a thug with a thesaurus!