Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alcorcon season 2017/18 from page 4

Limited interest (and, to be honest for me to), but here goes for the season thread for our distant cousins who actually seem to have done pretty well out of the Belgian involvement; they only missed out on the playoffs on goal difference after a dodgy late flurry of goals saw Osasuna overtake them in the last minutes of the final games.

New manager Cosmin Contra (former Getafe) started off at the weekend with a dull 0-0 at home to Huesca. Again this season some big names in the second league with Getafe, Levante and Rayo Vallecano dropping down. A couple more Madrid derbies but local rivals Leganes improbably went up to La Liga. Expectations at Alcorcon will be to push for the playoffs again albeit with their low crowds and budget.

Will update when I can for those interested and will hopefully get down to the Santo Domingo stadium a bit this year work and Mrs permitting.

Comments

• Your reports always appreciated .... the crowd was 1631 - is that likely to improve very much if they do well this season?
  • Agree with GHF, your Alcorcon reports are a good read, and helps us keep an eye on the progress of our cousins (as well as future CAFC managers).
  • What's the gulf in class between the English & Spanish second tiers @CharltonMadrid ?
  • Away to Levante tonight and will give an update on the score later. About the difference between the top two leagues, it's an interesting question. Generally the teams who get promoted don't struggle too much (last year Las Palmas, Real Betis and Sporting Gijon) so that is a decent indicator. I would say the second division is similar to the lower half teams of the first: tidy, well organised teams with some elements of good flair.

The crowds issue is interesting though, and that's where it would appear there is a lack of quality due to the low attendance. This is a bit of a misleader though, as something like 80% of Spaniards say they 'support' Real Madrid or Barcelona (with Atletico's fanbase significantly growing as well) and take only a passing interest in their local team, even if they live in a big city. There was an interesting article yesterday about people living in Leganes now showing an interest in the team despite being Real Madrid members.

So this is the problem Alcorcon have. Plus it is not cheap (tickets are usually at least €25) and match times are a bit random and only confirmed a couple of weeks before. When I was there I really enjoyed it and will definitely go again this year; it is a friendly little club that does lots of community work, with a good team of players and punching above its weight in a city with lots of other teams that steal their natural fanbase. Lots of similarities with us, or at least how we used to (and should) be.
  • Two nil loss away to Levante tonight. Poor start to the season with only one point and no goals from two games.
  • Away to Numancia this afternoon (kicking off at 4pm here), who also have one point from opening two games. Will update later for those with an eye on the potters this season.
  • edited September 2016
    One all full time. Exciting times...
  • We might head out there this season so keep us updated
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers for this
  • One nil win today for Alcorcon and a great win for Rayo - superb fans and atmosphere!
  • One nil win today for Alcorcon and a great win for Rayo - superb fans and atmosphere!

How is Dimitrovic doing at Alcorcon?

Also, are Rayo your team @CharltonMadrid? They're the left wing club of Madrid right?
  • edited September 2016
    Have only been to Rayo a few times but went with a mate today who goes all the time. Very left wing club who do a lot for the local community. My team since I have been here are the obscure Puerta Bonita, who got relegated from the fourth division last year. Following them has made being a Charlton fan seem glamorous!
  • Must be about the only RD club doing well at the moment
  • jamescafc said:

Must be about the only RD club doing well at the moment

Carl Zeiss Jena top of their 4th-tier regional league P6 W6 D0 L0 F16 A1 GD15 Pts18
  • jamescafc said:

Must be about the only RD club doing well at the moment

Carl Zeiss Jena top of their 4th-tier regional league P6 W6 D0 L0 F16 A1 GD15 Pts18
    Bl00dy hell - thats some start to the season ! 16 goals for and only 1 against.
  • 4th tier lol - so the equivalent of a welling United?

• This isn't really the right thread to be discussing FCC but yes, they have had a perfect start in the League. Mind you, winning their division only entitles them to enter the play-offs - getting out of the 4th-tier is not easy.

The Cups have been another story. They had a dream fixture in the first round of the Cup at home to Bayern Munich, who won at a canter 5-0. A gate of 19000 was some consolation. (Last year they beat Hamburg at home 3-2 before losing 0-2 to Stuttgart, both of course then in Bundesliga 1). Locally, FCC had won the State Cup (say Kent Senior Cup) for the last three years, but last weekend they went out to 5th-tier opponents amidst much disappointment.

Next weekend there are important club elections. RD is a significant factor at this juncture in the club's affairs, not least because he has publicly said he has several times been lied to of late, without giving any further details. This has not gone down at all well with club officials, who have understandably demanded some evidence or at least explanation for this totally unexpected bombshell. The man really has a talent ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Away to Real Zaragoza today who are in second place, so a tough test for Cosmin Contra's men. Will update later to let you know how they got on.
  • Two nil loss, and Zaragoza go joint top.
  • What are the attendances like, @CharltonMadrid ? Still bumping around 3k?

And do you get any feel for the fans' attitude to RD?

It seems to be the club he interferes with the least.
  • Yep, still attendance is around that 3000 mark but late August/early September is always slow here so it may pick up. Derbies against Getafe and Rayo will see more.

With such a small fan base it is not easy to get a feel of the general mindset of the fans, but they seem generally happy. RD is no longer the chairman (he stepped aside for a Spanish member of the board last season) but retains a controlling interest. So he is even more of an elusive figure than he is with us.

I don't know anyone who supports Alcorcon and their message board isn't very active so hard to always know what's going on. Will keep an eye on their Facebook for other news and discussions though as well and will hopefully get to a match in the next few weeks. Really enjoyed the one game I have been to so far.
  • Playing Cordoba at home tonight and currently 0-0 going into half time.

Must be difficult for Roland with two of his teams playing at the same time. Multiscreen action in Bond villain lair whilst stroking a cat tonight?
  • Playing Cordoba at home tonight and currently 0-0 going into half time.

Must be difficult for Roland with two of his teams playing at the same time. Multiscreen action in Bond villain lair whilst stroking a cat tonight?

Haha , strangely i can just visualise that !
  • Lost one nil - season has been pretty grim so far.
  • Have only been to Rayo a few times but went with a mate today who goes all the time. Very left wing club who do a lot for the local community. My team since I have been here are the obscure Puerta Bonita, who got relegated from the fourth division last year. Following them has made being a Charlton fan seem glamorous!

You might have some masochistic tendencies....
  • Drew one all away to Atletico Sevilla (the only B team in the second division this year) and stay in the relegation places.
  • edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

Have only been to Rayo a few times but went with a mate today who goes all the time. Very left wing club who do a lot for the local community. My team since I have been here are the obscure Puerta Bonita, who got relegated from the fourth division last year. Following them has made being a Charlton fan seem glamorous!

You might have some masochistic tendencies....
    They actually folded last week after pulling out of the fifth tier (regional) due to various unpaid bills. A real shame as have 'enjoyed' going there for the last few years. So, I am looking for a new team to follow. Will probably go to Rayo or Alcorcon more but I will miss the pathos of Puerta Bonita. Two memories which will always stick with me from my time there:

1. Passing the 'VIP' office (basically where the owner has a beer with his counterpart pre/post game) and seeing a tastefully arranged selection of 3 or 4 Kitkats on a table awaiting the VIP.

2. The tannoy music after the game hilariously inappropriately playing U2's 'One' after another crushing defeat: "Did I disappoint you? Leave a bad taste in your mouth?"

RIP Puerta Bonita FC.