Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London to Paris - July 2017 - Alzheimers Society

Hi All,

Some of you may have seen on the cycling thread that I have signed up for next years' London to Paris cycling challenge. 328 miles in 3.5 days.

This time last year I was 4 stone heavier, with ridiculously high blood pressure and this sort of thing would have been way beyond me. As part of the weight loss drive I have set myself a number of fitness challenges. It has culminated with this "short-hop" to Paris. I wanted to align it with a worthy cause and following on from @fatrob supporting the Alzheimers Society I have decided to support them as well. A truly horrible illness and the Society deserve as much help as we can give them fighting it and supporting those with Dementia.

I am collecting via a Just Giving Link and this is a shameless plug/begging letter/request for support. Anything you feel you could contribute would be welcomed - I have a fund raising target of £1500 which is daunting to say the least - hence me starting collecting early!

If you don't like my posts on here, then I'd encourage you to contribute as the ride is likely to be the death of me and you'll no-longer have to suffer my posts!

Link is below and thanks in advance for anything you are able to contribute

Cheers

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Tim-Chick1

Comments

• Always up for some training sessions mate
  • Hi All,

Some of you may have seen on the cycling thread that I have signed up for next years' London to Paris cycling challenge. 328 miles in 3.5 days.

This time last year I was 4 stone heavier, with ridiculously high blood pressure and this sort of thing would have been way beyond me. As part of the weight loss drive I have set myself a number of fitness challenges. It has culminated with this "short-hop" to Paris. I wanted to align it with a worthy cause and following on from @fatrob supporting the Alzheimers Society I have decided to support them as well. A truly horrible illness and the Society deserve as much help as we can give them fighting it and supporting those with Dementia.

I am collecting via a Just Giving Link and this is a shameless plug/begging letter/request for support. Anything you feel you could contribute would be welcomed - I have a fund raising target of £1500 which is daunting to say the least - hence me starting collecting early!

If you don't like my posts on here, then I'd encourage you to contribute as the ride is likely to be the death of me and you'll no-longer have to suffer my posts!

Cheers

Great cause, donated and good luck!
  • Tracey said:

Hi All,

Cheers

Great cause, donated and good luck!
    Thanks Tracey. Unbelievably generous. Now, if I could just get you to circulate it round the first team dressing room! :smile:
  • Bump......
  • edited September 2016
    Just spoke to a few people I done L2P with and we have decided that we are going to do Venice to Rome in 2018
  • fatrob said:

Just spoke to a few people I done L2P with and we have decided that we are going to do Venice to Rome in 2018

What distance is that?
  • Theres a bloke in my office who did Pompey to Pompeii this year - took him 23 days.
  • Around 380 but the terrain is a lot more hilly then L2P.

Out of 1 to 5 L2P is a one this is a 3.

http://www.discoveradventure.com/challenges/venice-to-rome-cycle
  • must say, well done Clem for the weight loss. What was your secret?
  • Well done, loved riding L2P when I done it back in 2012. One of them real bucket list items.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016

must say, well done Clem for the weight loss. What was your secret?

his good lady putting a padlock on the fridge door.

Bury away on the train was a disgrace. Apple and 2 bananas. Admittedly he did drink his whole body weight (old type) in alcohol.
  • must say, well done Clem for the weight loss. What was your secret?

Wanted to lose weight for ages, but could never get motivated.

Was supposed to have a knee op last year and at the pre-op assessment my blood pressure was dangerously high. I was suffering with stress and anxiety at the time but the extra weight and shit diet obviously didn't help.

I basically cut out biscuits, chrisps and sweets. Made sure I had fruit available at work to pick at and went from a takeaway once a week to once a month. Only have meat with dinner 4 times a week as well. Another big one was ensuring I had a sensible breakfast. I'd often have nothing and be starving by 11am and start picking at work.

On top of that I threw myself into cycling and gradually ramped up my weekend mileage. I'd always commuted to work 5.5 miles each way, but now make sure I do x2 30 mile plus rides a week as well. Often more with a 45-50 miler thrown in. Will be ramping that up as training for this. At the moment 100 miles in a day is a daunting prospect - its a mental as well as physical challenge for me as the longer I ride the more negative thoughts I get.

I'd like to lose another stone, but to be honest what I probably need to do is go to the gym and tone up.

If I gave up the ale, it would probably be much easier - but I didn't want to deny myself a few pleasures!
  • Shameless bump.

Am on 29% of my £1500 total and its playing hell with my OCD!

If someone wants to get it up to 30% I'd be very grateful!
  • Excellent cause - just donated.
  • Excellent cause - just donated.

Very generous. Much appreciated.
  • Bump!

I am now in possession of 50 tickets for the Race Meeting at Crayford Stadium on 21/10/2016. General admission tickets cost £6.00 and I'll be selling these for £5.00 each with all proceeds going towards my sponsorship total.

This is not intended as a group event so if you and a few mates want to have a cheap night out, a few beers and to possibly win a few quid, buy yourself a few tickets.

You can buy via my Just Giving Link. Simply say in the message how many tickets you want and inbox me an address that I can send them to.

I've raised £645 in just over 3 weeks and it would be great to sell all of these and bump the total up by another £250.00.

Cheers......

• Donated the other day @Clem_Snide fantastic cause and plan to donate a bit more before the ride.
  • Donated the other day @Clem_Snide fantastic cause and plan to donate a bit more before the ride.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated.
  • edited January 2017
    Evening all,

With Xmas out the way, I'm starting my sponsorship push up again and make no apologies for bumping this!

I've so far raised nearly £900 with lots of very generous donations from posters on here.

This is another shameless plea for sponsorship. I'm still £600 from my target and whatever donation you feel you can make, however small, would be warmly received.

Cheers.

I've also managed to set up SMS donations. Just text TCLP60 with the amount donated to 70070
  • Just over 4 months till the off on this now.

Need to start ramping up my fund raising efforts as I still £440 short of my £1500 target.

Any donation, however small would be welcomed.

You can donate via this link

Or via SMS

Text TCLP60 with the amount donated to 70070

Thanks in advance for any support you can offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Less than a month to the off now. All of a sudden it seems very real and I feel very under prepared. Having had my first proper cyclists bonk a couple of weeks ago am now pretty nervous about the whole thing. Charity jersey has arrived and that was the wake up call that it is going to happen.

Still a bit short of the fund raising target hence the shameless plug. Anything people would like to donate would be gratefully received.

• just chucked a little more in, will put a more in before the event.
  • My dad did it last week, 62!
  • Final update and begging post! Completed this on Saturday. Really tough battling constant head winds and rain showers. A brilliant feeling when arriving at the tower though.

Final challenge is to get to my £1500 sponsorship target. Total currently stands at £1390, had a few comments that people would sponsor me after I finish. Anyone who wants to do that, here is the link:

Any amount, hower small would be very welcome.
  • Fantastic - well done.

Target hit :)
  • bobmunro said:

Fantastic - well done.

Target hit :)

Wow. That is unbelivable. So so generous and humbled. Thank you so much.