Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• I live about two miles from the ground, palice heartland so a mystery why we're playing there.
  • I live about two miles from the ground, palice heartland so a mystery why we're playing there.

Director of London FA who posts on here said they have an excellent pitch and facilties and the ground is often used for London FA finals for that reason.

I assume there are minimum standards for grounds, changing rooms set by the EFL.

I also hope it means that building work will restart at Sparrows Lane making that less that ideal for players or spectators.
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks to Kyle Andrews for this

Team sheet from first game

Note that Matt Carter played before signing officially for us and that Umerah was on the bench.

Any other new names? @Scoham @dickplumb @bolloxbolder

• Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 6m6 minutes ago

CHARLTON U23s: Phillips, Barnes, Holmes-Dennis, Bauer, Lennon, Muldoon, Aribo, Kennedy (c), Hanlan, Umerah, Ahearne-Grant. #cafc

SUBS | Mitov, Bowry, Dijksteel, Charles-Cook, Carter. #cafc

Strong side
  • edited August 2016
    Is it a good or bad thing that only... Barnes / Aribo / Phillips / Muldoon havent made a First-Team appearance from those starting
  • Glad to see both Bauer and Lennon available.
  • Is it a good or bad thing that only... Barnes / Aribo / Phillips / Muldoon havent made a First-Team appearance from those starting

Muldoon has, made his debut in the league cup last season.
  • Scoham said:

Is it a good or bad thing that only... Barnes / Aribo / Phillips / Muldoon havent made a First-Team appearance from those starting

Muldoon has, made his debut in the league cup last season.
    Yeah I thought he had but couldnt think when
  • Thanks to Kyle Andrews for this

Team sheet from first game

Note that Matt Carter played before signing officially for us and that Umerah was on the bench.

Any other new names? @Scoham @dickplumb @bolloxbolder

Haven't heard of 2, 14 or 15. Trialists perhaps? Doubt they're new u18s.
  • edited August 2016
    2 is ex Reading and 14 ex Orient i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 6m6 minutes ago

CHARLTON U23s: Phillips, Barnes, Holmes-Dennis, Bauer, Lennon, Muldoon, Aribo, Kennedy (c), Hanlan, Umerah, Ahearne-Grant. #cafc

SUBS | Mitov, Bowry, Dijksteel, Charles-Cook, Carter. #cafc

Strong side

having said that Muldoon is the only CM although Kennedy seems to be playing deeper now. 4-3-3?
  • Isnt Aribo a CM?
  • Isnt Aribo a CM?

thought he was a winger
  • I'd have thought our line-up would have been

Phillips
    Barnes ... Bauer ... Lennon ... Holmes-Dennis
    Kennedy ... Aribo ... Muldoon ... Ahearne-Grant
    Umerah ... Hanlan
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 3m3 minutes ago
    19' GOAL! @MikhailKennedy converts Holmes-Dennis' cross, finishing calmly into the bottom left corner. 1-0. #cafc
  • I'd have thought our line-up would have been

Phillips
    Barnes ... Bauer ... Lennon ... Holmes-Dennis
    Kennedy ... Aribo ... Muldoon ... Ahearne-Grant
    Umerah ... Hanlan

Youth teams tend to play 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond.

Aribo came in as a winger but think (though may be wrong) he's played more u21 football with us as a CM.

Kennedy talked about as an attacking midfielder/striker when he was younger. Think he's played a few positions including right back at one point.
  • 2-0 Bauer
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 4m4 minutes ago
    27' GOAL! @patrick5bauer makes it 2-0! #cafc
    6 retweets 7 likes
    Reply Retweet 6
    Like 7
    More
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 3m3 minutes ago
    27' Forest's Warral sliced a free-kick onto his own crossbar and the BFG was on hand to head home the rebound! #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it surprising that some of the stand out players from last year's U-18s, namely Yao, Bone, and Lapslie don't seem to be anywhere near this team?
  • SDAddick said:

Is it surprising that some of the stand out players from last year's U-18s, namely Yao, Bone, and Lapslie don't seem to be anywhere near this team?

Couple of knocks, Bone no longer at club.
  • SDAddick said:

Is it surprising that some of the stand out players from last year's U-18s, namely Yao, Bone, and Lapslie don't seem to be anywhere near this team?

Really, Bone gone? I thought he was only 16 so playing above his level.
  • First I have heard about Bone.
    Is he really gone?
  • SDAddick said:

Really, Bone gone? I thought he was only 16 so playing above his level.
    No, last season, he was in his second year as a scholar
  • edited August 2016
    An earlier thread mentioned, quick google shows he has been on trial at Sunderland this summer. Not sure if he has signed though.
  • 3-0, Hanlon.
  • 3-1 f.t. Forest score in added time.
  • Yeah I thought I read something about Bone going, I believe someone on here intimated speaking to his father and that they weren't happy with the Charlton setup in some way (paraphrasing and going on my memory here). I know he was highly thought of, he looked tidy in the U-18 games I saw, if a bit unspectacular. He was also playing at the back of the midfield whereas I know that ideally he'd like to get forward more so can't judge too much.

So over the summer we've had Lapslie, RCC, and Umerah (thanks to that friendly challenge) struggling with knocks? Really unlucky, I'd think RCC and maybe Lapslie would have at least been training with the senior team had they been fit in pre-season. Also, not having a pre-season is a real blow.