Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes (ed. Pg 4 - joined Oxford on season loan)

edited August 2018 in General Charlton
Just watching the highlights from Saturday with my step son.

Holmes' wonder goal was scored with his right foot.

We googled Ricky Holmes penalty and he takes pens with his right foot.

Yet he signed his CAFC contract with his left hand.

Media set up maybe? Surely being left handed and right footed is pretty rare?

Comments

• Not that rare.
  • My son is.
  • Left handed is one in 8 to 10 I think. Having opposite hand and foot must be rarer.
  • edited August 2016
    "Media set up"?
  • Not that rare - Am the same
  • Not that it's that interesting but I'm right handed and left footed. Don't think it's too uncommon.
  • That's how I am too
  • fattmatt said:

It's a "bit" rare. Only 16% of people have different laterality between hands and feet.

It's not uncommon among cricketers to bat and bowl with opposing laterality. Stuart Broad, Moeen Ali and Richard Ellison bowled right-handed and batted left-handed. Ashley Giles was the opposite.
  • Phil Mickelson is the best ever left handed golfer yet does everything else right handed.
  • Brian Lara batted left-handed. He is a scratch golfer, right-handed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe Noel Gallagher is left handed but plays guitar right handed
  • I am left handed and right footed.
  • I am right handed in writing, left handed in all sports, left footed in football. Apparently I used to pick up the pen in my left hand, but my nursery teacher moved it to my right hand, because left-handedness was the "sign of the devil" according to her.
  • Right footed, right handed for everything except writing.

My left hand is for precision and my right is my "club"
  • My son is. It's a sign of genius, passed from me :wink:
  • I'm right handed, play left footed, eat left handed and can write well with either hand... So I'm not surprised there are others out there with similar abilities.
  • I work with a lot of left handers, not sure why there are so many in my field but I reckon around 50% of people who have been very successful in my original profession are left handed.

Cricket is slightly different as there is a benefit to balance in the side for having left handed batsmen. Many full right handers learn to bat left handed as a result, particularly people who are mostly bowlers I think.

On those rare occasions when I try and surf or skateboard, I lead with left leg first, not sure if that is left or right handed.
  • fattmatt said:

Maybe I'm being particularly thick but Ricky Holmes didn't score on Saturday.

His "wonder goal" was against Shrewsbury last Tuesday.

• I write with my right hand but knock one out with my left.

Pure talent. Sign him up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ambidextrous me, it's one reason why knocking one out is ultimately slightly disappointing as second hand gets bored.
  • Chizz said:

fattmatt said:

It's a "bit" rare. Only 16% of people have different laterality between hands and feet.

It's not uncommon among cricketers to bat and bowl with opposing laterality. Stuart Broad, Moeen Ali and Richard Ellison bowled right-handed and batted left-handed. Ashley Giles was the opposite.
    I think cricket is a bit different as batting is a two handed activity, it boils down to which hand you want at the top of the bat handle. The modern day reverse sweeps and switch hits require all batsmen to swap their dominant hands anyway.

Ronnie o'sullivan is someone who's right handed but can cue brilliantly with his left hand as well!
  • RedPanda said:

Phil Mickelson is the best ever left handed golfer yet does everything else right handed.

I know a guy who can play golf both left and right handed, to a single figure handicap as well!
  • RedPanda said:

Phil Mickelson is the best ever left handed golfer yet does everything else right handed.

I know a guy who can play golf both left and right handed, to a single figure handicap as well!
    I wouldn't want to be his caddy.
  • I'm equally shit with both my right and left feet so I'm not surprised.
  • Left footed, right handed
  • I'm left handed right footed.

I feel a clique coming on
  • Left footed (we just look soooo much smoother) right handed
    but I'm pretty mustard at table tennis so can play that left handed to an ok standard because it got boring beating people too easily right handed #trumpetblown
  • Changing the subject from wonky humans and back to the thread title for a sec.. Ricky Holmes looks so effective at this level, you wonder what he was was doing in League 2 for so long?

He looks to me like he would probably even just about hold his own in the Championship, when you consider someone like Harriott.

Did he have a huge injury at some point? Or maybe does his small build hold him back?
  • Right footed, right handed for writing, but punching, throwing, batting are all left hand led. Definitely a sign of genius :wink: