Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

T20 Franchise Cricket

Comments

• Great to have Mark Wood back. Surely he'll be in the Test squad in the winter
  • Durham won by 7 runs.
    Wood was outstanding.What a performance.
  • Interestingly, neither Durham nor Yorkshire played any overseas players.
  • Well played the Fatboys.
  • How come this thread suddenly went quiet after the semi final where all the elite slim boys were playing? LOL

Fantastic achievement from probably the poorest (financially) county in the English game. Utterly outstanding.

Well done Northants!!!!!

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

TBH, once i knew that i couldnt watch Gary Ballance play in the final, i lost interest. :)

It was a poor finals day, with 2 poor tema sin the final - the only re-deeming factors being Wood's bowling (was brilliant in semi, but didnt see him bowl in final), Duckett's 80 and Stokes 50.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 poor teams? That's ridiculous. What else is the league system for if not to filter out non-good teams?
  • All 3 matches went the fall distance. The conditions didnt help - but i thought all 3 matches were entertaining, if not spectacular
  • Well done Northants, I always enjoy finals day and I hope they leave it as it is.
  • Leuth said:

2 poor teams? That's ridiculous. What else is the league system for if not to filter out non-good teams?

Aside from the 3 mentioned it was poor quality. Even Joe Root played like a headless chicken.
  • fantastic day at Edgbaston watching my adopted county of 27 years lift the T20 trophy. 3 excellent games.

Northants invest in the white ball game, it pays off. A real team effort, no bringing back Root etc or shipping in Russell. The squad has consistently delivered and deservedly won.
  • How come this thread suddenly went quiet after the semi final where all the elite slim boys were playing? LOL

Fantastic achievement from probably the poorest (financially) county in the English game. Utterly outstanding.

Well done Northants!!!!!

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

TBH, once i knew that i couldnt watch Gary Ballance play in the final, i lost interest. :)

It was a poor finals day, with 2 poor tema sin the final - the only re-deeming factors being Wood's bowling (was brilliant in semi, but didnt see him bowl in final), Duckett's 80 and Stokes 50.
    Azharullah bowled well in the final. I enjoyed every minute. So there... :wink:
  • Latimer said:

fantastic day at Edgbaston watching my adopted county of 27 years lift the T20 trophy. 3 excellent games.

Northants invest in the white ball game, it pays off. A real team effort, no bringing back Root etc or shipping in Russell. The squad has consistently delivered and deservedly won.

Yeah dont agree with shipping in of Russell for 1 game - its a bit like Charlton bringing in Messi for a play-off final.
    However, you cant say that Northants havnt used importing foreign players (Levi and Kleinveldt for example in this final, which was 2 more than Yorks and Durham had)) - plus they have been one of the worst counties in the past when using Kolpak players ... http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/giles-slams-northants-over-lazy-kolpak-signings-1-927212
  • edited September 2016
    Fascinating article by Mike Atherton in the Times today, in that the 18 county chairmen are meeting this wednesday to discuss the way forward for T20 in England.
    It seems there are 5 possibilities on the table - the most likely to be adopted being 2 T20 tournos each season - the first being all 18 counties in a tournament similar to what we have today - with it being a feeder to a new 8 city comp for 4 weeks in August, which sounds like its Manchester,Leeds,Southampton,Cardiff,Nottingham,Bristol or Newcastle, North and/or South London.
    The sweetener to counties like Kent,Derby,Leicester would be 1.5 million pounds per year in funding.
  • I can see it now - proper T20 becomes the BDO of cricket, sneered at by casual observers on forums such as this one (as we see every year when the BDO is on tele). The franchise (so despised in other areas of sport) becomes a Premier League like behemoth, all based around the stadia of the entitled "big" clubs (so despised in other areas of sport), raking in all the dosh. Proper T20 slowly slips off the radar as the "city" clubs use it as a platform for "development" squads, and Sky end up showing only the finals day, but cover every second of every franchise match. The argument for the development squads will be that it will improve the England squad, naturally. Meanwhile the franchises will be allowed four overseas players (as long as they are big name internationals) as that's what's necessary to pull in the sponsors and the TV money. The 1.5 million sot to the clubs that are not supposed to win things will pale into insignificance as the biggest clubs get richer and richer...
  • Sponsored links:

• I can see it now - proper T20 becomes the BDO of cricket, sneered at by casual observers on forums such as this one (as we see every year when the BDO is on tele). The franchise (so despised in other areas of sport) becomes a Premier League like behemoth, all based around the stadia of the entitled "big" clubs (so despised in other areas of sport), raking in all the dosh. Proper T20 slowly slips off the radar as the "city" clubs use it as a platform for "development" squads, and Sky end up showing only the finals day, but cover every second of every franchise match. The argument for the development squads will be that it will improve the England squad, naturally. Meanwhile the franchises will be allowed four overseas players (as long as they are big name internationals) as that's what's necessary to pull in the sponsors and the TV money. The 1.5 million sot to the clubs that are not supposed to win things will pale into insignificance as the biggest clubs get richer and richer...

Surprisingly, as part of Athertons article, he states that Surrey are opposed to the plans being put on the table, because they regard themselves as having got their financial ducks in a row already (sorta shows with their financial results, year on year).
    The problem with Test cricket , as everyone is aware, is that , aside from England and Australia, it is dying as a spectator sport - for example, in India, Test matches are played out in near empty grounds whereas IPL matches are generally always full. The other side of that, however, in relation to England is If you look at the recent series against SL and India, there were only 2 T20 games - so, we could have 2 months County/Franchise cricket every summer, which will only provide experience for 2 days international cricket - seems a bit skew to me.
  • bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37365637

An eight-team city-based Twenty20 competition is set to be introduced into English domestic cricket.

The proposal, one of five options on the table, passed by 16 votes to three.

The new tournament, which will take place in addition to the existing T20 Blast which involves all 18 first-class counties, is expected to start in 2018.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has been keen to introduce a new T20 event to rival the Indian Premier League and Australia's Big Bash League.

The proposal for the new eight-team competition was a result of discussions between representatives of the 18 first-class counties, the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA), and Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) who remain guardians of the laws and spirit of cricket.

Surrey, Kent and Sussex were reported to be the three votes against the move.

The counties - who had been bound by non-disclosure agreements until now - will now take the proposal to their memberships, and the PCA to the players, before the decisive vote by the ECB board in October.

"We've talked to each county individually about the need for change, a range of potential options and the implications.

"There's a constructive dialogue with county chairmen and chief executives, the MCC and PCA and now agreement to move forward and further develop this approach.

"The next steps for us all, as a game, will be to extend the discussions and get valuable input from players, members and other key voices across the game."
  • As predicted in my earlier comments. Also, shows that Surrey were objectors.

My personal view is that this will provide a huge boost to English cricket per se - yes, there will be obstacles along the way - but the thought of being able to see the likes of Starc,ABDV,Gayle,Rabada,Brathwaite,Kohli,Russell,McCullum et al all playing in the tournament will bring a fresh, more exciting feel to the tournament.
    Cant wait to see who the 8 cities will be, but guessing at Leeds,Manchester,Nottingham,Southampton,Cardiff,Birmingham,London N, London S - or Bristol in instead of one of the London teams-although cant see that.

• Ok, just re-read it, and it seems that the grounds will be Test venues, so that rules out Bristol , but means that it possibly brings in Chester-le-street.Although cant see London North or South being excluded because of them.

Comment from Simon Hughes...
    Former Middlesex seamer and BBC Test Match Special commentator Simon Hughes: "So the county chairmen have seen the future and voted for it 16-3... eureka."
    Virtually all the cricket world have posted positive comments.
    Aggers says... 'its only Charlton fans who seem not to want it'
  • this is in addition to the normal T20 but I reckon that would be scrapped within 3 years.
  • It will be difficult to see these city franchises as anything but the existing counties under a new name, even if the players come from more than one county, as the grounds are too engrained into the history of clubs. After all. Warwickshire play T20 under the name Birmingham Bears

And while the "South London sloggers and North London nurdlers" will get good crowds, how will it differ from how Surrey and Middlesex already market themselves? For T20 geography comes into it, Kent and Sussex fans from the other ends of their counties aren't going to come up to the Oval for an evening T20 fixture.

The big thing which can't happen yet, is to get this on terrestrial TV, like the Big Bash is.

As an aside, I keep getting emails from Lords advertising tickets for the 50 over final this Saturday, as there seem to be loads of tickets available. Surprised they've not sold better, seeing that it's two major counties Surrey and Warks in the final
  • The T20 game I saw was full of people not that interested in the game going on itself. It was more about food, drink, music in the gaps of play and trying to make as much money as possible. It was a Katrien Meire dream crowd. Lots of casual non engaged customers, spending money and only minimally engaged with what was going ons, on the pitch. All a bit gimmicky and US style type branding. Wouldn't bother to go see it again.
  • Ok, just re-read it, and it seems that the grounds will be Test venues, so that rules out Bristol , but means that it possibly brings in Chester-le-street.Although cant see London North or South being excluded because of them.

Comment from Simon Hughes...
    Former Middlesex seamer and BBC Test Match Special commentator Simon Hughes: "So the county chairmen have seen the future and voted for it 16-3... eureka."
    Virtually all the cricket world have posted positive comments.
    Aggers says... 'its only Charlton fans who seem not to want it'

Can you not understand why I am not happy with this Pres?

Plenty of people in the football world were positive about the Premier League.

If Charlton were to be absorbed into South London Rovers playing at Selhurst for FA cup games only (having won the FA cup twice in three years under their own identity), would you be happy?

How the heck can a bunch of non-English players bring a boost to English cricket? Playing at test venues only, backs up what I previously stated, that the rich will get richer.

Where I a member at Northants I would be shouting down the phone at the short sighted idiots who voted in favour for what will amount to petty cash in their back pockets.
  • Personally don't like the idea. However be interested to see how it fits round the rest of the calendar.
    Do the other cricketers, which wil be most first class players, put their feet up for 3 weeks?
  • redman said:

Personally don't like the idea. However be interested to see how it fits round the rest of the calendar.
    Do the other cricketers, which wil be most first class players, put their feet up for 3 weeks?

Probably - or go and play for their Club at the weekend.