Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life is 10 years old today !

Comments

• Definitely a cause for celebration - must be the most used football club forum per capita in the world.
  • I dread to think how much time I've wasted reading stuff on here over 10 years, especially as I mostly visit when I should be working!

Happy Birthday :-)
  • Brilliant forum, keep up the good work AFKA.....and all those who regularly contribute.
  • One of my favourite ever comments...

A supposed Sheffield Utd fan came on here complaining that Simon Church had called his son four-eyes after the cup quarter final.

He got plenty of pelters and tucked away half way down the first page was @DaveMehmet 's response: "have you tried laser surgery?"

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60517/jeremy-kyle-anyone/p1

I can't remember giving the Sheff Utd fan as much stick as that........................they will come good :smiley:
  • Order of Top 20 recorded areas of UK usage: London, Dartford, Croydon, Poplar, Brighton, Maidstone, Swanley, Canterbury, Gravesend, Manchester, Newham, Birmingham, Chatham, Norwich, Sheffield, Leeds, Tumbridge Wells, Bristol, Southampton, Basildon

Might want to remove this bit from the OP... Gravesend / Charham / Maidstone all clear proof that we're stealing more Gillingham fans!!
  • 10 years, wow! I think I may have been one of the original 30?! Depending on workload I drift in and out of participating but rarely do I go long without at least checking in.

I'd be very surprised if there's a better or more influential football forum out there - Lookie and AFKA should be very proud of what they've achieved with this site.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Addicted said:

Done what? Graduated preschool? Blimey if someone gave me that cake I'd demolish it before anyone could comment on the spelling.

Mind you I'd demolish any cake.
  • Addicted said:

I take it the last word starts with a B and the label is covering a D.
  • Lurked on here for a long time before signing up. Had previously used the old BBC 606 site and then Not606. Have enjoyed it immensely and have spent way too much time on here. Had advice on everything from parking to burglar alarms and many a right good laugh to boot. As with all good things there are occasional down moments (like being flagged for posting a picture of a cream cracker or, more disturbingly, being cast as a racist for saying that Calum Harriott had a footballing brain the size of a peanut!). But, as the saying goes, in every bunch of roses there will be an occasional prick. I'm pleased to say that the roses by far outweigh the others on here and, despite our difficult backdrop at the moment, it's still my go-to place when I pick up the iPhone.

Thanks @afkabartram and @lookout for all that you do and here's to the next ten years.
  • @KillersBeard 13 chips less than @Tavern.

I joined in Dec 06, having been on netaddicks. Hardly a day goes bye without me checking on the site. Currently sitting in Carrick on Shannon posting this.

The match at The Valley was the last time I've played football, I made first appearance at the old Valley in 1981, only Kieth Peacock has a longer record than I think. If another game was to be arranged I would jump to it, can't see it happening under this regime.

Looking forward to the next ten years.

Well done and thank you @AFKABartram & @LoOkOuT
  • edited August 2016
    10th anniversary is tin.

Which is kind of apt when you consider the amount of tinhats on here.

Happy Anniversary.
  • Favourite thread: anything politics.

Nothing like a good ole fashion CL right vs left, heated debate.
  • Another funny moment was a pre season friendly at welling. It was an evening game and I was in the Guy after the game with AFKA, Curb it, MCS and a few others. Managed to get quite pissed and ordered a cab home. It turned up and I sling open the door, crashed into the seat and said my address. A voice replied, "Russ you donut, I'm here to pickup B". It was Tavern.

Similar thing happened to me Dave.

I was sitting outside a supermarket waiting for my wife when I heard the boot open, thinking the wife was putting the shopping bags in the boot I took no notice. The boot then slammed shut and the back door opened and a women then started telling me her address. When I looked round it was a complete stranger.

I told her I was not a cab and we both had a good laugh. I jumped out and opened my boot and she had filled it with her shopping bags so I helped her get it back out again by which time my very confused wife had appeared.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant forum, heres to the next 10!
  • Addicted said:

I take it the last word starts with a B and the label is covering a D.
    They line them up pal and either you me or VG will smash them home
  • edited August 2016

Another funny moment was a pre season friendly at welling. It was an evening game and I was in the Guy after the game with AFKA, Curb it, MCS and a few others. Managed to get quite pissed and ordered a cab home. It turned up and I sling open the door, crashed into the seat and said my address. A voice replied, "Russ you donut, I'm here to pickup B". It was Tavern.

I learned a lesson in honesty that day. Already about 2hrs late for dinner, I decided to tell a little white lie to the missus that I'd left the pub and was waiting for a bus. I worked out this would allow me enough time to get another pint in and get a taxi home.

Anyhow, eventually got home to a fuming missus and ruined dinner which i tried covering up with how long I had to wait for a bus, how long the bus journey was etc when all of a sudden I shouted out "sh*t, I left my mobile in the cab". She then said "what cab, you got the bus" and it all unraveled from there. Managed to get the phone back from Carlton Cars the next day.

I vowed that day I would always be honest with my wife, and I can honestly say i have never told even the most trivial lie since.

Hi babe :-)

When I first joined this comment would never have appeared from anyone and definitely not Carter however now unfortunately he too has become one of the watched over few

Oh where the young carefree years have gone
  • hippy beefday, great stuff, keep up the good work.
  • Another funny moment was a pre season friendly at welling. It was an evening game and I was in the Guy after the game with AFKA, Curb it, MCS and a few others. Managed to get quite pissed and ordered a cab home. It turned up and I sling open the door, crashed into the seat and said my address. A voice replied, "Russ you donut, I'm here to pickup B". It was Tavern.

I learned a lesson in honesty that day. Already about 2hrs late for dinner, I decided to tell a little white lie to the missus that I'd left the pub and was waiting for a bus. I worked out this would allow me enough time to get another pint in and get a taxi home.

Anyhow, eventually got home to a fuming missus and ruined dinner which i tried covering up with how long I had to wait for a bus, how long the bus journey was etc when all of a sudden I shouted out "sh*t, I left my mobile in the cab". She then said "what cab, you got the bus" and it all unraveled from there. Managed to get the phone back from Carlton Cars the next day.

I vowed that day I would always be honest with my wife, and I can honestly say i have never told even the most trivial lie since.

When I first joined this comment would never have appeared from anyone and definitely not Carter however now unfortunately he too has become one of the watched over few

Who knows Hun x

Who knows Hun x
  • Not you or I babe 8)
  • Congratulations on 10 years. Don't post much on here as somebody has usually said what I was thinking and done it far more articulate way than I could.
    I need Charlton Life at the moment to keep a sense of what it means to be a Charlton supporter as its bloody difficult at the moment. However the real strength is the non-footy related posts. I joined rather than just read the night Henry posted Leven Helm had died so I could post my own little tribute.
    Here's to another 10 years, God knows what it will be like to be a addick by then.