Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nathan Ellington

joined Watford for 3.25m last summer. Has now joined Derby for a 'substantial' loan fee followed by a free transfer at the end of the season.That is a truely spectacular loss on Watford's part whilst Derby have got in 2.65m for Earnshaw and been able to replace him with Ellington at a fraction of the cost. Watford fans are up in arms, not that they liked Ellington, but at the loss involved.

Comments

• Better than losing him on a free as Watford have done with Jordan Stuart (also to Derby)

Paul Jewell is really shacking up the squad at Pride Park.
  • I think 'bombed out' is the correct expression.

I see a similarity of Ellington with Greg Halford. Has completely lost his way, yet Jewell thinks from his time with him before he might be able to coax his old form out of him, the same way Pardew / Parky thought with Halford.

Personally, i think once a player, particularly a striker loses his edges, he never really gets it back. eg. Jason Euell.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Better than losing him on a free as Watford have done with Jordan Stuart (also to Derby)

Paul Jewell is really shacking up the squad at Pride Park.

had THREE years left on his contract though so even if he spent a year at Derby he might do the business and score thirty goals and then Watford would definately get a fee for him next summer. Very strange.
  • No doubt he was on big money and they are now looking to do a cost sutting exercise, they dont have the best of support and can see them becoming a new Southampton/ Leciester. Coventry if they dont address the wage strcture now, he was hardly an ever present last season for Watford last season
  • I'd have thought that Watford are better off or at least more stable than a few other CCC clubs. They didn't spend big when they were in the Prem, they have sold plenty of players for big money (Young, King, Bouatza (sp) ) and as far as I know don't have a lot of debt.

I say they are being prudent and getting costs now for when the parachute money runs out.
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]No doubt he was on big money and they are now looking to do a cost sutting exercise, they dont have the best of support and can see them becoming a new Southampton/ Leciester. Coventry if they dont address the wage strcture now, he was hardly an ever present last season for Watford last season

agree with all that but loan him out this season and save on the wages and then maybe bomb him out next for a fee. If not then give him a free then but surely you'd wait and see.
  • I read Curbs wants Shittu from Watford as well.

Watford could be fading.
  • There is no way Bothroyd will be at the club in the New Year, he's really shown himself up to have got lucky Dowie-style in his only 100% successful time at the club
  • Boothroyd kept Watford in the Championship when it looked like they were going down, then got them promoted to the Premiership. Took them to an FA Cup Semi and got them in the playoffs this year. All that with less money than we spent. Granted they play crap football, and his seems a bit clueless in the transfer market... sounds a bit like Pardew without the successful bits!