Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD Announcement: Say Cobblers to the 1pm ticket charge

Charlton fans furious at being asked to pay more for their match ticket in the two hours before kick-off are being given the opportunity to beat the 1pm fee and watch the Addicks without giving their money to the regime.

The Coalition Against Roland Duchâtelet (CARD) recently joined fans to successfully campaign [http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-ticket-office-administration-fans-3206265.aspx] for the club to reverse its ludicrous new policy to levy an additional £2.50 charge against supporters who had the temerity to visit the ticket office in person to buy a ticket.

But the regime refused to rescind its decision to charge fans who buy their seat in the two hours leading up to kick-off an extra £3 to see the struggling League One side.

So CARD is now proposing a way for supporters from across the country who want to watch the first home game against Northampton Town on August 13th to do so without lining Roland Duchâtelet’s pockets using the club's own local ticket promotion.

With the number of Valley season-ticket holders having dropped by 45% [http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-201617-season-ticket-delivery-3197808.aspx] by late July in protest at an unneeded relegation and the way Duchâtelet and Meire are running Charlton, the club's management recently launched a series of measures to bolster the number of fans in the stadium at the opening game.

In addition to inviting people to apply for free tickets if they register with the Charlton Athletic Community Trust in June, the club has offered free tickets to all those supporters who complained about its unannounced erection of a net in front of the north stand at the last home game of last term.

Finally, and more importantly, the club last week offered anyone who lives in SE7 the opportunity to claim up to four free tickets for the match against the Cobblers.

How can you see the match without lining Duchâtelet’s pockets? By working together and following our simple four-step guide:

1. If you live in SE7, please visit the Valley ticket office to claim their four free tickets (you will need proof of address and photo ID, which will be photocopied) OR, if you know someone who lives in SE7, encourage them to do the same and pass the tickets on to you. Note the opening hours of the ticket office [http://www.cafc.co.uk/tickets/ticket-prices/]

2. We'd be grateful if you could email charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk to let us know how many tickets you have available so we can have an idea of numbers

3. Please then visit the White Swan pub, in Charlton Village, before 2pm on the day of the game, and drop the tickets off to CARD representatives

4. If attending the game, drop into the White Swan from 2pm to check whether any tickets are available.

A CARD spokesperson said: "With the regime seemingly determined to give away thousands of tickets to the first home game, we thought it was an ideal opportunity for a different kind of protest.

"We have long encouraged fans to 'support the team, not the regime', and this plan enables supporters to not only beat the ridiculous extra £3 free in the run-up to kick-off and see the game without donating extra revenue to the regime, but also hugely inconvenience the club's management.

"Thousands of leaflets have been distributed across Charlton, so we urge fans who know local residents to encourage them, and their neighbours, to collect tickets, and then redistribute them to supporters."

Supporters should note that those who defer obtaining their ticket until after 1pm in the hope of getting one at the White Swan may, if unsuccessful, end up paying the surcharge.

Although CARD recently pledged not to disrupt any of the team's matches in August, [forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74133/card-statement-22nd-july/p1] the group insisted that targeted protests against the regime would continue off the pitch.

CARD will announce further details next week of its plans to protest at the opening match against Northampton.

Comments

• This is wonderful.
  • Great idea. Everyone who lives in SE7 or knows someone who does, please get on this. Free ticket for a Charlton fan, hits Duchatelet in the pocket, hits their ridiculous £3 surcharge. It a win:win:win. Let's make it work.
  • Gillingham charge £2 for any purchase on match day. Spotted that on the to screens at Bury yesterday.

• Apologies if I've missed it as I'm working do only skimmed through it. Card are getting local people to get the free tickets and give them to card. I take it card then expect a reasonable donation (as selling them is effectively touting) with all funds going towards anti Roland activities?
  • Apologies if I've missed it as I'm working do only skimmed through it. Card are getting local people to get the free tickets and give them to card. I take it card then expect a reasonable donation (as selling them is effectively touting) with all funds going towards anti Roland activities?

I think the idea is to, literally, give them away.

Where does it say they are asking for money, suggest you read the whole article before making an comments.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Apologies if I've missed it as I'm working do only skimmed through it. Card are getting local people to get the free tickets and give them to card. I take it card then expect a reasonable donation (as selling them is effectively touting) with all funds going towards anti Roland activities?

Where does it say they are asking for money, suggest you read the whole article before making an comments.
    I was asking a question/making a suggestion.

Suggest you count to 10 before steaming in with your comments

I think the idea is to, literally, give them away.
    Exactly as if CARD was selling them, they could get in to big trouble. So they could say Donations are welcome...

Mr Otto got the beers in btw!
  • Sponsored links:

• I like that idea alot
  • Love this. Would love a couple tickets to go. Couldn't bring myself to renew but would go to every game if the cash didn't go to that prick even if they are a shower of shit.
  • Great idea.

I'll be genuinely interested in how many Charlton fans actually live in SE7, if you weren't a fan then I doubt you'll frequent the sorts of places that this initiative. The number of tickets that get dropped off at the Swan should give us a good indication.
  • Could be worth getting CARD to contact the many small shops that supported the CARD 'alternative match day refreshments' - surely they get a few tickets?
  • This is fantastic :)
  • Swisdom said:

Gillingham charge £2 for any purchase on match day. Spotted that on the to screens at Bury yesterday.

It's fairly common for away fans. I've never heard of a club punishing home fans like so, though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great idea, let's get as many people in as we can to support the team whilst making a very obvious message to the regime. KM, TK (and Rojo) shouldn't need telling that you just can't replace decades of support with new support.

We will not go away
  • I like the idea of this but not sure about the execution. Presumably if you are going to the game then you are taking a bit of a gamble about getting one of these freebies. If there are not enough of them or too many people taking them before you presumably you are either left with the choice of paying the £3 fee as it will be too late by that point or just not going at all.
  • Huskaris said:

Love this. Would love a couple tickets to go. Couldn't bring myself to renew but would go to every game if the cash didn't go to that prick even if they are a shower of shit.

Me too. Fancy mobbing up and storming the gates each week? ;-)
  • They need to arrange some kind of protest outside the stadium for those who travel and don't get a ticket IMO
  • Can the club pull this offer at any time
  • I got a free ticket and I have no idea what for as a) I didn't go to the affected match and b) I don't sit North.

Happy to send it CARDs way if wanted. Would only want it used if theres some form of protest, other than not paying for said tickets, to be fair. The Club know they've gave out a lot of freebies and need the stadium sales up.. and attendance figures inflated.
  • Well of they do then once again Mrs Meires marketing strategy and vision of a brave new world would have been foiled by those pesky kids again.
  • So sad that we have to fight like this. But so it must be until the scum sell up.
  • edited August 2016

I got a free ticket and I have no idea what for as a) I didn't go to the affected match and b) I don't sit North.

Happy to send it CARDs way if wanted. Would only want it used if theres some form of protest, other than not paying for said tickets, to be fair. The Club know they've gave out a lot of freebies and need the stadium sales up.. and attendance figures inflated.

And profit on drink/food sales which they will get.
  • So the plan is to take up her free ticket offer and hence boost the gate. Why not just not go! That would be the win.