Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wemberleee

My first visit to the new stadium and I must say that I was very much impressed. Plenty of leg room and plenty of space to move around last night. Although the food outlets were a tad on the expensive side, I still went the whole hog and bought the burgher and chip - food was decent enough and the service was pretty good too. Others have said that the journey back by train is painful....but although there is a delay I thought it was again very well organised and a hell of a lot safer than in days of the old wemberleee. I couldn't believe the number of photographs being taken of the stadium before and especially after the match - it is an awesome sight though!

Overall its got the complete thumbs up from me and I look forward to returning to the stadium with the Addicks or if possible for one of the world cup qualifier.

Out of curiosity, could there be anyone on this board did not go to the old wemberlee stadium..?

Alas, I still miss those twin towers!

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]....the service was pretty good too. Others have said that the journey back by train is painful....but although there is a delay I thought it was again very well organised and a hell of a lot safer than in days of the old wemberleee.

Let's not forget it wasn't full yesterday... a good 20,000 down on capacity...
  • edited May 2008
    £50 no concessions hardly inspires a rush... but what can you do when the stadium cost the earth and you need to pinch every penny to recoup

just got my england+ renewal through... cue some fun Eastern European times in Belarus/Ukraine/Croatia/Kazakhstan... will make Wembley seem like heaven!
  • edited May 2008
    You would have thought with all the English Heritage stuff about 1960 tower blocks being listed etc etc they would have made a very large effort to keep the towers. In fact it should have been one of the major considerations given to the project team pre design phase, God knows it cost enough !
  • edited May 2008
    Spot on GH, landmark in global sport and sporting heritage, sod the blinkin arch
  • And the twin towers would have been in the way of the stadium, roughly where the new royal box is

As for the £50 tickets, that's what was left all in the top tier, all the £50 tickets in the lower tier sold out, so there was a demand.

70,000 for a pointless friendly ain't bad.
  • They wouldnt have been in the way ifthe design brief took them into account. Never been to new Wembley but just cant see how it cost 10 times what the Mellenium Stadium in Wales cost.
  • The gate wasn't bad at all, i just think it's a shame that to recoup the money spent you have to rip off England fans (and any other team that has the fortune of playing at Wembley) with £50 tickets and £5 pies - what happened to getting football to the masses? wasn't that all the big deal about doing the England on tour... I guess that was then and this is now

(meanwhile the Government cost us a far better chance to recoup by blowing the 2010 Champions League Final with their stupid tax laws)
  • No that I can justify 50 quid for a footie match but then again it's not as though I go there every other week either - so in that sense I will allow myself a bit of extravagance - although my ticket cost 40 sovs.
  • Cause Wembley in terms of floor space is about 4 times bigger then the Millennium.

I paid £25 for my ticket last night, so hardly ripped off, and as for food, don't buy it.

As for 2011, it's going to be at Wembley, and the tax thing UEFA used as an excuse.
  • edited May 2008
    Agreed on the 2011 matter, it won't be overlooked again, but think we could have sold ourselves better, Agassi certainly got the hump in the past but with those buffoons Platini and Guillard it's no surprise we got left in the shade
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2008
    I went to the FA Trophy final the other week and I thought the stadium was awesome. Not been to the Millenium so I can't compare. The corporate stench was everywhere, not only in the form of pricing there's a fair amount of segregation too. Sign of the times, you want world class you have to pay for it and get the money back somehow.

I agree about the twin towers/heritage thing but once the stadium starts accruing its own history that'll be overlooked.
  • R, UEFA tried to use the location of the TV gantry at Wembley as an excuse, so UEFA will find any stick.

I personally don't like the Millennium, stinks of sheep
  • Have been to the New Wembley and the Millennium Stadium now, and have been very impressed by both.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I personally don't like the Millennium

me neither, don't have much time for any stadium with a fully retractable roof, don't care if Christopher Wren designed it, what's indoor football with 11-a-side about?
  • One flaw of the new Wembley is that you can't see the royal box from the upper tier above it. It wouldn't have impeded anyone's view if they'd made that part protude from the rest of the seats.

You sit there through 90-120 mins of potential torture and you're rewarded by watching your team lift the trophy on the telly - very poor design IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]One flaw of the new Wembley is that you can't see the royal box from the upper tier above it. It wouldn't have impeded anyone's view if they'd made that part protude from the rest of the seats.

You sit there through 90-120 mins of potential torture and you're rewarded by watching your team lift the trophy on the telly - very poor design IMO.

Totally agree, we sat at the back for the FA Trophy and we couldn't see them apart from on the screen. Decent legroom though.
  • Haven't been to Wembley yet, but was really impressed by the Millennium, great views and with the city centre on top of it giving you loads of oppotunity for a drink.