Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice required - rented property and washing machine has gone wrong.

I'd appreciate some advice please.

We rent a property and the washing machine has just gone wrong. The washing machine isn't mentioned in the inventory, but was there when we took over the tenancy.

Our landlord says it isn't include in the rental agreement, so it is our responsibility, as they just left the machine in the property.

Can they absolve themselves of the responsibility for an appliance which was part of the property when we moved in, but not mentioned in the inventory?

Comments

• I'd appreciate some advice please.

We rent a property and the washing machine has just gone wrong. The washing machine isn't mentioned in the inventory, but was there when we took over the tenancy.

Our landlord says it isn't include in the rental agreement, so it is our responsibility, as they just left the machine in the property.

Can they absolve themselves of the responsibility for an appliance which was part of the property when we moved in, but not mentioned in the inventory?

If its not in the lease then you have no case. Had the same thing years ago. Best we could get was the landlady to send someone round to remove it. Thankfully we had our own stored in the garage and once she got rid of the broken one we replaced it.
  • I assume that the property is unfurnished? If so it would be unusual for a landlord to supply any appliances. (Other than cooker of course). Washing machines, fridges and freezers are often left by previous tenants and are left by landlords as new tenants may wish to take make use of them but are not on the inventory. Supplying a washing machine would not increase the rental for the potential grief and cost of maintenance - especially when one considers that many tenants do not look after the properties.
  • yep. very comnon to have a washing machine that's not the landlord's responsibility
  • edited August 2016

I'd appreciate some advice please.

I was in exactly the same position. You can ask the landlord to pay for professional removal of the broken washing machine, leaving the fitting intact so that you can fit one yourself, which you can then take away with you when you leave. The landlord may be prepared to offer you a cash sum or deduction from the rent for the financial equivalent of removal, which you can then put towards a secondhand machine which includes free delivery and removal of the old appliance - this is what I did - I got £25 off my next months rent and put it towards a £100 secondhand machine - so it cost me £75. The landlord cannot leave the broken machine there and expect you to deal with it.
  • edited August 2016
    Thanks everyone.

I will ask the landlord to remove it, especially as it is an integrated machine. My husband tried to move it just now and he can't do it himself.

We plan to move next year and if we buy a new machine we will want to take it with us. I wouldn't want to buy an integrated machine as it would probably not fit in any new kitchen.
  • Redrobo said:

I assume that the property is unfurnished? If so it would be unusual for a landlord to supply any appliances. (Other than cooker of course). Washing machines, fridges and freezers are often left by previous tenants and are left by landlords as new tenants may wish to take make use of them but are not on the inventory. Supplying a washing machine would not increase the rental for the potential grief and cost of maintenance - especially when one considers that many tenants do not look after the properties.

The property is unfurnished. The calor gas cooker is also not mentioned in the tenancy but they did get it inspected earlier this year.
  • Redrobo said:

I assume that the property is unfurnished? If so it would be unusual for a landlord to supply any appliances. (Other than cooker of course). Washing machines, fridges and freezers are often left by previous tenants and are left by landlords as new tenants may wish to take make use of them but are not on the inventory. Supplying a washing machine would not increase the rental for the potential grief and cost of maintenance - especially when one considers that many tenants do not look after the properties.

The property is unfurnished. The calor gas cooker is also not mentioned in the tenancy but they did get it inspected earlier this year.
    Landlords are legally required to have boilers and gas appliances checked by a qualified person annually.

I did not realise that the washing machine was part of a fitted kitchen. Suggest you contact citizens advice as I think this would be the landlords responsibility as clearly supplied by him. Even though not specifically referred to in your contract it is I think implied. Goodc luck!
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Landlords are legally required to have boilers and gas appliances checked by a qualified person annually.

I did not realise that the washing machine was part of a fitted kitchen. Suggest you contact citizens advice as I think this would be the landlords responsibility as clearly supplied by him. Even though not specifically referred to in your contract it is I think implied. Goodc luck!
    Thanks!
  • I don't know the answer but if it's integrated, that should be different. It surely counts as a fixed appliance rather than a fitting and therefore the landlords responsibility
  • Is there a Managing Agent you deal with or do you deal direct with Landlord? If agent, go to them. When I let out my property with freestanding dishwasher, the Agents gets a specific written agreement with the tenant thats it is excluded from a maintenance obligation. My view is that integrated appliances are down to the landlord to repair unless you have signed to say it is not maintained by the Landlord.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there a Managing Agent you deal with or do you deal direct with Landlord? If agent, go to them. When I let out my property with freestanding dishwasher, the Agents gets a specific written agreement with the tenant thats it is excluded from a maintenance obligation. My view is that integrated appliances are down to the landlord to repair unless you have signed to say it is not maintained by the Landlord.

There isn't a managing agent and we deal directly with the landlord. It's a rather complicated situation as we rent a bungalow which is at the bottom of the landlord's garden. We have to walk through their garden to get to it. The rent is paid directly into the landlord's bank account.

• edited August 2016
    I rent a flat out and when we first moved out, we left the washing machine for the tenant, but with the agreement that if it broke, we would not fix it and that was put into the lease
  • edited August 2016

Thanks everyone.

I will ask the landlord to remove it, especially as it is an integrated machine. My husband tried to move it just now and he can't do it himself.

We plan to move next year and if we buy a new machine we will want to take it with us. I wouldn't want to buy an integrated machine as it would probably not fit in any new kitchen.

If the space left by the removal can not be used except by a specific fitted unit you may have a claim for the landlord to rebuild the surrounding units for you to put in your own freestanding machine or to replace the machine. You may wish to consider that with the arrangement being quite irregular a negotiated settlement would be best. But it is not reasonable to ask you to live with an unusable gap where a washing machine should be.
  • edited August 2016
    Without going into greater details I think they would much rather we didn't kick up a fuss as it is not in their interest for us to do that!!!! We can probably take the moral high ground here.

We did originally rent the property via a letting agency but they have no further interest in the rental.
  • OK. Hope your deposit is protected properly.

Our deposit is with an approved scheme.

Our deposit is with an approved scheme.
    "Phew".
  • edited August 2016
    Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

We're just about to rent an unfurnished property which has an electric cooker. There's no mention of it in the Tenancy Agreement, and I don't think it will show up on the inventory.

I think I can ask the Landlord to remove it, but rather than cut my nose of spite my face, does anybody know if there's a specific electrical test which should be done before we accept it?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

We're just about to rent an unfurnished property which has an electric cooker. There's no mention of it in the Tenancy Agreement, and I don't think it will show up on the inventory.

I think I can ask the Landlord to remove it, but rather than cut my nose of spite my face, does anybody know if there's a specific electrical test which should be done before we accept it?

Thanks in advance.

I believe it's a legal requirement for the landlord to have the electrics checked when you move in, but I could be wrong. I do know you have to have a yearly Gas Safety Certificate.
  • No problem @man_at_milletts it is a good idea to sort these things from the start. I should have asked more questions when we took the tenancy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Be fair to yourself. Whilst we read these things you wouldn't not move into somewhere just because it didn't mention an integrated appliance. You know for next time but if it was me in the landlords shoes I'd suck it up and get it fixed. Integrated appliances look great but are a bastard to repair.

Have a nice word with the landlord and I predict this will all be tea and cakes by the end of the chat
  • No problem @man_at_milletts it is a good idea to sort these things from the start. I should have asked more questions when we took the tenancy.

Yes, indeed. We're on a massive learning curve at the moment. Thanks. We're currently dealing with woolly phrases like 'good order' etc. How do you measure that in the real world?
  • Carter said:

Be fair to yourself. Whilst we read these things you wouldn't not move into somewhere just because it didn't mention an integrated appliance. You know for next time but if it was me in the landlords shoes I'd suck it up and get it fixed. Integrated appliances look great but are a bastard to repair.

Have a nice word with the landlord and I predict this will all be tea and cakes by the end of the chat

I hope so! They're out today but will speak with them tomorrow.
  • Saga Lout said:

Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

I believe it's a legal requirement for the landlord to have the electrics checked when you move in, but I could be wrong. I do know you have to have a yearly Gas Safety Certificate.
    Fortunately, or otherwise, there's no gas at this place. Hence the trepidation.
  • Saga Lout said:

Thanks in advance.

Brilliant post.

I read this and - realizing I'm renewing my tenancy this month - had a quick skim of my documents. Just found out that the Gas Safety Certificate expired on the 29/01/2016.. a good 7 months ago. Off to email the Landord's Management Agency now, a more useless bunch of tossers I've yet to meet sadly.
  • Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

Thanks in advance.

Its a legal requirement to get a gas safety certificate on letting and yearly. I don't think its a legal obligation to get an electrical certificate but the landlord is potentially liable so on an older property its safe to get one at the outset.
  • Definitely not a requirement to get an electrical certificate updated yearly.

• Unless the landlord 'gifted' you the washing machine when you took on the tenancy, then it is his responsibility.

Despite the property being unfurnished, every other fixture and fitting it the property needs to operate as it should do.

They need either repair it to ensure it works as when you took on the tenancy or replace it with a new one.

Gas safety certificate is annual. Any decent landlord must also carry out an certified electrical check at the property every five years or on change of tenancy.
  • Addickted said:

Unless the landlord 'gifted' you the washing machine when you took on the tenancy, then it is his responsibility.

Despite the property being unfurnished, every other fixture and fitting it the property needs to operate as it should do.

They need either repair it to ensure it works as when you took on the tenancy or replace it with a new one.

Gas safety certificate is annual. Any decent landlord must also carry out an certified electrical check at the property every five years or on change of tenancy.

Thanks @Addickted.