Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce Done Deal - 3 Year Deal, Undisclosed Fee

edited August 2016 in General Charlton
DONE DEAL | Charlton complete signing of Jason Pearce on three-year deal
Thu 04 Aug 2016 15:30

Experienced defender, who won the League One title with Wigan Athletic last term, arrives at The Valley

George Jones reports

Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the signing on Jason Pearce on a three-year deal from Wigan Athletic.

The experienced centre-back was a League One winner with the Lactics last season and joins us for an undisclosed fee.

He becomes Manager Russell Slade’s second signing of the week, following the arrival of goalkeeper Declan Rudd from Norwich City.

Slade said: “Jason certainly knows what it takes to get out of this league. He’s an absolute warrior; a leader; winner and will be an example on the pitch to all of his teammates and our younger players as well. It’s took some time to get it done but he was a target that was an exceptionally good fit for us and we are delighted to get him.”

Pearce added: “I’m delighted. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve known about the club’s interest for a while now and I’m glad to finally get it signed and be a Charlton player. When I spoke to the Manager, he really wanted me to be part of his team that will be trying to get straight back up into the Championship and I’m really happy that I am.”

Beginning his career with Portsmouth, Pearce would earn his first chance in men’s football when he embarked on loan spells at Bognor Regis and Woking.

In 2007, he joined AFC Bournemouth and would go on to play 183 times for the Cherries. His four-year spell on the South Coast would also see them win promotion from League Two and see him named as their captain.

He returned to Portsmouth in 2011 and a year later switched to Leeds United – and he would skipper both clubs before making the move to Wigan in January 2015.

Last term he made 33 appearances for Wigan, scoring two goals, as they were crowned as league champions to bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking.

Comments

• jdsd42 said:

He will be out on loan by Friday

An undisclosed injury more likely.
  • Great signing.
  • His first chance in 'men's' football, as opposed to what?

Welcome Jason and good luck.

He was diagnosed as a girl up until the age of 17
  • Cringeworthy tweet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Excellent signing. If we can just sign four more players of the same quality that we have so far this season and not really lose anyone, then I think I might start get excited about the season ahead.

Creative central midfielder pretty plzzzzzz
  • All of Slade's summer signings have been good, but this is the best 1 of the lot. Need 2 or 3 more through the door though
  • Pleased with this signing
  • Great signing, Wigan fans think its a terrible decision to let him go. Will he start on Saturday?
  • Great work Russell. Superb addition. 4 more like that please!
  • Happy with this signing, just hope we can get at least a couple more in.

Welcome Jason.
  • At least we're doing it the right way around this time, but I suspect he's a replacement for Tex. Can only hope Tex goes out on loan so he can potentially come back next season. That said, Pearce and Bauer in central defense is one of the best pairings in the league (Tex and Bauer would be better in my opinion).
  • Cringeworthy tweet.

I agree, only thing missing was a thank you to Katie
  • Excellent replacement for Tex. Good defender though.
  • Rudd! Pearce! Two people I would cautiously say can actually play football and who have experience in England!

What is going on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good signing. We're looking solid at the back. Still hoping Tex stays!

Just need some more creativity and energy in midfield now and we'll be okay.
  • Best I have felt about a signing in a long long while.
  • Get Thompson in before midday tomorrow as well, and the squad for Saturday will look a lot better
  • Great signing. Slightly concerned about what I read concerning injuries but if they don't come up again he'll be brilliant
  • PaddyP17 said:

Rudd! Pearce! Two people I would cautiously say can actually play football and who have experience in England!

What is going on!

Roland's plan is coming together ?
  • His first chance in 'men's' football, as opposed to what?

Welcome Jason and good luck.

Junior football. They can hardly describe it as league football when it was at Bognor Regis can they?
  • sam3110 said:

Get Thompson in before midday tomorrow as well, and the squad for Saturday will look a lot better

Thompson deal was off according to NewsHopper. Honestly, would rather we get some creativity and range of passing in in midfield.
  • Fun Fact*: Both Lee Nowak and Jason Pearce seem to wear Umbro boots. Prior to our signing them, I did not know Umbro still made boots.

*This is not particularly "fun" and may not even be a fact.
  • welcome Jason and all the very best of fortune in what I hope will be a long and successful CAFC career .. a very dependable and experienced defender .. hope to see him straight into the starting eleven at Bury