Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Englishmen in Premiership

Someone just emailed me this at work...shame on you Arsenal....guess Theo Walcott plays about once every 3 games then!

Comments

• that is p**s poor
  • if blatter gets his wish of reducing the amount of foreign players over time then englishmen will ultimately become the most expensive players on the planet.......
  • And look at the number of non-English managers...only Fulham, Wigan, West Ham, Pompey, Reading, Newcastle, Bolton, Derby and Boro have English managers.
  • fair play to curbs.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]fair play to curbs.

Do you reckon hes trying to get a few brownie points incase old cappacino doesnt work out.....
  • Dont blame the clubs, blame the system, we make it too easy to play foreigners in this country, they are on less money and can transfer fees are less inflated in other countries than ours, if there is a good english player on the market will treble just because he is english, we should bring in a system where there are only so many foriegners allowed in the squad,each club has to produce a cretain amount of home grown players, the benifits are two fold firstly it would even out the leagues, secondly the national team would see the fruits of good home grown players within the next five years
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    If young english players are good enough then they will rise to the top regardless of the number of foreigners in the league.

The likes of Rooney/Terry/Ferdinand/Carson/Hart/Gerrard have not been affected by the foreign imports.

I think, if you cut out the foreign imports then it would adversely affect the national side as they don't have people (of superior skill - sorry if the truth hurts) to learn from and you'll end up with what happened in the past with players like Steve Frogatt, Andy Sinton and Carlton Palmer playing for England.
  • or then you could argue that the likes of the Italian doesnt import just any foriegner as they are cheap and the national team does well i.e wins world cups and qualifys for major tournaments, how many foriegn players are actually bought through reputation or managers being passed videos from agents.
  • to learn from and you'll end up with what happened in the past with players like Steve Frogatt, Andy Sinton and Carlton Palmer playing for England.

But Graham Taylor was manager in those days...and there are plenty of average foreign players who are playing not on talent but because they are cheap.

There is a line between attracting players of skill who add something to the game and importing foreign players because they are cheap, regarding the latter I'd sooner have average English players, partly because one or two might make it as stars, but more likely because Prem teams would recruit from the lower leagues and in the process pump money in at the grassroots. Bear in mind that in a season where the top teams are enjoying a new TV deal and are seeing more money than ever before that Bournemouth and Luton went into liquidation and may well be followed by other teams. A bit more Sky money circulating down the pyramid wouldn't go amiss.
  • WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]or then you could argue that the likes of the Italian doesnt import just any foriegner as they are cheap and the national team does well i.e wins world cups and qualifys for major tournaments, how many foriegn players are actually bought through reputation or managers being passed videos from agents.
    Very true but there are an awful lot of South Americans and Eastern European players in the Italian leagues. Not sure of the percentages, there is no doubt England probably has the lowest number of home grown talent playing its top league but sometimes we just need to accept that we are just not good enough at international level and there are 40 years worth of stats to back that up!

And, do clubs have a responsibility to help the national team or to help the clubs that employ them?
  • Sponsored links:

• What is more refreshing watching the likes of Shevley,Basey, Lee,Bowyer, Rufus,Fortune,Newton,Parker, or seeing us pay fees for Faye, Hasslebank,M Bent, Jimmy T, etc who have no affinety with the club, dont understand where we have come from and are just there for the money, surely one of the proudest moments for the club is seeing Parker,Bent and Powell playing for England whilst a Charlton player,
  • Most definately WIWLB.

I was thinking the other day though that Shelvey, Basey, Wagstaff etc would not have got a chance if we had stayed up would they?

I like the way it works in Spain (unworkable here though i think) where the Barca and Real Madrids "reserve" teams play in the the lower leagues but can't get promoted to the Primera Ligue.

It would be to the detriment to too many clubs if you had that for the Prem clubs here though - are most likely the reserve teams would be full of foreigners!
  • There is too much preasure on clubs now to do well, a prime example is both Man U and Liverpool, only some ten years ago Utd produced Giggs,Beckham,Scholes, Nevilles, Butt, and Liverpool produced Carragher,Gerrard,since then they have rather bought players rather than wait for the development of the youth system, we will only see the state of todays football in ten years time within the national team when we are struggling for players, with all due respect to Peterborough how can we now as a notion call upon a keeper who was playing againest Barnet and Accrington Stanley last season for international football