Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin Media speed upgrade to 70mb

Just a heads up. I logged on to my a/c and a free upgrade was available from 50mb to 70mb.

I though the 50mb was already the fastest speed in the UK. (May be wrong).

Comments

• Virgin goes up to 200mb in some areas. Annoyingly I'm stuck at 38mb at my place, bah.
  • Just a heads up. I logged on to my a/c and a free upgrade was available from 50mb to 70mb.

I'm on 150mb at home via Virgin. Think they go up to 200mb.
  • Just a heads up. I logged on to my a/c and a free upgrade was available from 50mb to 70mb.

I'm on 150mb at home via Virgin. Think they go up to 200mb.
    You probably have to pay extra for that ?
  • You can get up to 1GB/s in some places across the world (mostly America).
  • I think I read that S. Korea has the best internet speeds in the world.

Moved house and had to get BT, so am generally down to 8mbps now (on Fibre). Feels like I've gone back a decade!
  • 150 to 200mb is a free upgrade.
  • You lot don't know how good you've got it. The maximum I get is 5mb!
  • You lot don't know how good you've got it. The maximum I get is 5mb!

Maybe that's why we're not seeing any signings yet. *Refreshes*
  • Think it depends on your area, I got the free upgrade from 50MB to 70MB last November. The great thing is you actually get those speeds. It says upto 70MB in the small print, and the lowest speed I've got on speedcheck is 68MB so far.
  • Currently in France, we get 50kb, yes, kb here.

Can't wait to get home...
  • Sponsored links:

• Think it depends on your area, I got the free upgrade from 50MB to 70MB last November. The great thing is you actually get those speeds. It says upto 70MB in the small print, and the lowest speed I've got on speedcheck is 68MB so far.

Upload speeds are awful. Also you wont get that speed on a Sunday night
  • I didn't know you could check your speed. Just did it on U switch (before the upgrade), 57mb.
  • This is worth a read about what download / upload speeds you actually get with fibre and copper cables. It suggests you don't get more than 76Mb for fibre even if you have 200Mb.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/
  • I'm with Virgin and just checked my download speed - 121.37 Mb/s
  • 'G.Fast' technology is coming. Will be able to squeeze up to 1gb on copper (telephone) wires. BT been trialling it for months. Should revolutionise 'rural broadband' next year.
  • 'G.Fast' technology is coming. Will be able to squeeze up to 1gb on copper (telephone) wires. BT been trialling it for months. Should revolutionise 'rural broadband' next year.

fingers crossed, we desperately need to get superfast internet everywhere as soon as possible if we still want to be world leaders in the creative industries. Especially considering companies are getting priced out of soho and shoreditch because of sky high rents.
  • I'm on 150mb down here in Bristol.

Not until they spend the money on their infrastructure, which they have no incentive to do until the government forces them. There is probably even less incentive now they have been ordered to open up their ducts and equipment as they will be essentially paying to upgrade every other provider.

The single biggest factor in your speed is the length of line between the green cabinet at the end of you road and the property itself. You can be next to the cabinet but at the end of the copper loop. The 1Gb speeds will only be obtainable if you live directly next to the cabinet and at the beginning of the copper loop.
  • Jayajosh said:

This is worth a read about what download / upload speeds you actually get with fibre and copper cables. It suggests you don't get more than 76Mb for fibre even if you have 200Mb.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/

Just checked mine on Speedtest.net - down 211mb, up 12mb.
  • Sponsored links:

Not until they spend the money on their infrastructure, which they have no incentive to do until the government forces them. There is probably even less incentive now they have been ordered to open up their ducts and equipment as they will be essentially paying to upgrade every other provider.

The single biggest factor in your speed is the length of line between the green cabinet at the end of you road and the property itself. You can be next to the cabinet but at the end of the copper loop. The 1Gb speeds will only be obtainable if you live directly next to the cabinet and at the beginning of the copper loop.
    Not an infrastructure issue - it works over existing copper sites. G.fast kit at Distribution Points should pay for itself by Customers desperate to upgrade.
  • Over existing copper wires!
  • Distribution Points typically closer to homes than Cabinets. It is distance related but that's how Superfast works today. You might not get 1gb but if it only runs at half that you are unlikely to complain. The reality is they will control and market the speed but it will offer Customers much faster speeds than they can get today without laying cable.
  • Are you testing those speeds with wired or wireless connections?
  • edited July 2016

You can get up to 1GB/s in some places across the world (mostly America).

That's not true. The vast majority of US broadband speed is absolutely pitiful - the average UK speed is far faster and less contended, and caps are much lower than ours. Connections up to 1Gb/s are more common in places like Scandinavia, Holland, Korea and Japan - where the infrastructure is more modern, and they don't have the issues of vast open spaces to deal with.

Not an infrastructure issue - it works over existing copper sites. G.fast kit at Distribution Points should pay for itself by Customers desperate to upgrade.
    Yes it will be, fibre still uses the copper lines for most people from the cabinet. They will have to upgrade at the cabinet and the exchange. They said the same about Fibre paying for itself. You see all the time at the moment where BT say a village is fibre enabled but they don't have the capacity for the connections needed. It is a way of getting around an impossible target set by the government. A target that was originally last year.
  • I didn't know you could check your speed. Just did it on U switch (before the upgrade), 57mb.

Just download the app on your phone and check the speed.

• With sky best I have had is 3 but average 2, they want extra £20 month for fibre

• I have BT and I've had 80MB for eighteen months. I do live just outside Maidsrone though which is a big town, so I'm not sure you could call my village rural, even though it does feel like it.