Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: A special moment during the Ipswich game

Ever since my Dad took me to my first football match at about the age of 10, I've always thought to myself 'wouldn't it be amazing if the ball was kicked into the crowd and I could rise above everyone to head it back'.

Every single football match I have ever been to I'd reach my seat and think Can the ball reach me here? What is my plan if it does? In winter I even plan where I would ditch my hot chocolate if the ball pings my way.

I'd dreamt about the big moment.

The flip-side of this ambition is the thought of could happen if I fooked it up, leaping into the air only to mistime the header, crush a few fellow fans and be the laughing stock of 15,000 people.

Fast forward to tonight at the Valley, Charlton V Ipswich pre-season friendly. I'm sat with my 11yr old daughter three rows behind Mick McCarthy in the away dugout.

76 minutes in and their defence clear the ball high into the air. IT WAS HEADING TOWARDS ME. In a split second I thought 'here's my chance, don't **** it up Stu'. Leaping up like Cristiano Ronaldo I kept my eye on the ball and dispatched the best header of my life ⚽️⚽️ straight towards the centre circle over the disbelieving head of £6M rated Ademola Lookman.

Charlton fans took to their feet and clapped. I took a bow and told Mia 'I've ALWAYS wanted to do that'.

Then the best bit. The Ipswich fans (all 220 of them) sang me a rendition of ''SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP'' for about a minute.

The game finished 0-0, my header was the highlight ;-)

BUZZING!!

Comments

• Ever since my Dad took me to my first football match at about the age of 10, I've always thought to myself 'wouldn't it be amazing if the ball was kicked into the crowd and I could rise above everyone to head it back'.

Every single football match I have ever been to I'd reach my seat and think Can the ball reach me here? What is my plan if it does? In winter I even plan where I would ditch my hot chocolate if the ball pings my way.

The flip-side of this ambition is the thought of could happen if I fooked it up, leaping into the air only to mistime the header, crush a few fellow fans and be the laughing stock of 15,000 people.

Fast forward to tonight at the Valley, Charlton V Ipswich pre-season friendly. I'm sat with my 11yr old daughter three rows behind Mick McCarthy in the away dugout.

76 minutes in and their defence clear the ball high into the air. IT WAS HEADING TOWARDS ME. In a split second I thought 'here's my chance, don't **** it up Stu'. Leaping up like Cristiano Ronaldo I kept my eye on the ball and dispatched the best header of my life ⚽️⚽️

LOL !

Heard a cheer & a faint chant of " sign him up ! "

• Shame there weren't 15,000 there to see it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant.
  • Ever since my Dad took me to my first football match at about the age of 10, I've always thought to myself 'wouldn't it be amazing if the ball was kicked into the crowd and I could rise above everyone to head it back'.

76 minutes in and their defence clear the ball high into the air. IT WAS HEADING TOWARDS ME. In a split second I thought 'here's my chance, don't **** it up Stu'. Leaping up like Cristiano Ronaldo I kept my eye on the ball and dispatched the best header of my life ⚽️⚽️

You should've caught it ... We still need a keeper
  • Should've caught it. You'd be our new number one by Saturday then.
  • Should've caught it. You'd be our new number one by Saturday then.

There's a shocking echo on this thread!
  • This thread reminds of a couple of incidents from my past, the first when we're kids and standing in the old covered end, on the railings when a wide shot came our way heading for one of our mates who wasn't quite paying attention and turned at the last minute and perfectly headed the ball back. He was quite rightly pleased with his effort.

The other incident was probably about 30 years ago when I trotted along to a non league club for a FA Cup first round match against Torquay. As Torquay attacked down our side the defender came in with a tackle that sent the ball shooting towards a young lad standing behind the railings and not paying attention to a game, his side had more or less lost at this stage. The ball smacked him in the side of the head and knocked him flat. Everybody was initially concerned that he might be out cold at first. The defender came over to see if he was OK and when the kid got up and said he was alright the defender said let that be a lesson, watch the game next time.

Having moved back to the covered end (that's the lower north) I'm probably going to be back in the firing line and this thread has prompted me to be determined that should the opportunity come my way to head a wayward shot back into play I too will make the most of the chance

and duck and let the bloke behind me deal with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard that you woke RD up in his Belgian bunker with that bit of skill Stu. Expect a phone call from one of Latriens's flunkies...
  • Hahaha cheers all, I'm still buzzing today. I really hope no-one has it recorded, it might not be as good as my memory lol.

I've just edited original post with the full story, the original post wasn't the full version of events.

• Top man !!

• It doesn't really compare with a reserve game in the 1970s against Aldershot when the ball came towards me, I caught it on my thigh, let it drop to my left foot, played keepy uppy 10 or 11 times, flicked it towards my head, headed it in the air 4 times, rolled the ball round the back of my neck before crisply volleying it back to Jack Burkett who was by the touch line waiting to take the throw.

I might have recalled some of the detail wrongly but it was something like that.

Great work @stuart_lee !

Liar!! I was there and distinctly remember it being a half-volley!
  • edited July 2016
    Well done Stuart! Its a shame there weren't so many to see it but at least the Ipswich fans saw it!

• Nice one Stu but there's a video of Colin Walshs love child with a volley at Yeovil in the rain I believe!

76 minutes in and their defence clear the ball high into the air. IT WAS HEADING TOWARDS ME. In a split second I thought 'here's my chance, don't **** it up Stu'. Leaping up like Cristiano Ronaldo I kept my eye on the ball and dispatched the best header of my life ⚽️⚽️ straight towards the centre circle over the disbelieving head of £6M rated Ademola Lookman.

Charlton fans took to their feet and clapped. I took a bow and told Mia 'I've ALWAYS wanted to do that'.

Then the best bit. The Ipswich fans (all 220 of them) sang me a rendition of ''SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP, SIGN HIM UP'' for about a minute.

The game finished 0-0, my header was the highlight ;-)

BUZZING!!

Probably concussion...

Mind you, you could have a claim.