Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andrew Crofts - now (2021) Brighton U23 manager (p9)

Comments

• Wonder when he will actually sign the contract?

Blucher said:

Given Cousins' departure and the injuries to Kashi and Diarra, I guess we had to get someone in, given the fact that kick-off is now only two weeks away. We've been told that Kashi is out for four months (i.e. half the season), which might well be conservative, whilst Diarra - fine player that he is - is now 35 and has suffered with injuries in recent years.

I don't suppose we have that many irons in the fire, although Slade and his management team will know that we urgently need some creativity in central midfield. If we end up relying just on Ricky Holmes to provide ammunition for the strikers, it will become very predictable and much easier for opponents to counter.

Agreed, just like last season, when the oppo had to stop JBG and then we were clueless.

Crofts may not be an exciting signing but some of our fans have to get real.

We need a decent squad and Crofts should be part of that, as a replacement for Kashi/Cousins.

It's who else we get in that's important.
    As back up then fine but with Kashi out for months, Diarra for weeks maybe months, then Crofts at the moment is a shoe in to start.

• LoOkOuT said:

Roger Johnson got 18 months lol.

Jail .Thank fuck
  • Hoping RoJo gets a 3 year contract extension.
  • Bit worrying if the injuries recur but let's give the guy a chance; decent record in divs 2 & 3 and no-one he's played for seems to have a bad word for him. We do need experience too - as long as "experienced" doesn't translate as "knackered". Welcome and good luck Andrew Crofts.
  • Replaces Cousins ?

A 32 yr old replaces a 22 year old - makes sense to someone I suppose

It makes sense to the person who banks the 22 year old's transfer fee ;-)

Blucher said:

Given Cousins' departure and the injuries to Kashi and Diarra, I guess we had to get someone in, given the fact that kick-off is now only two weeks away. We've been told that Kashi is out for four months (i.e. half the season), which might well be conservative, whilst Diarra - fine player that he is - is now 35 and has suffered with injuries in recent years.

I don't suppose we have that many irons in the fire, although Slade and his management team will know that we urgently need some creativity in central midfield. If we end up relying just on Ricky Holmes to provide ammunition for the strikers, it will become very predictable and much easier for opponents to counter.

Agreed, just like last season, when the oppo had to stop JBG and then we were clueless.

We need a decent squad and Crofts should be part of that, as a replacement for Kashi/Cousins.

As back up then fine but with Kashi out for months, Diarra for weeks maybe months, then Crofts at the moment is a shoe in to start.

Quite likely, but I'd rather Crofts than perhaps Muldoon or another Academy player that perhaps isn't quite ready. (with the greatest respect to Muldoon.)

Blucher said:

Quite likely, but I'd rather Crofts than perhaps Muldoon or another Academy player that perhaps isn't quite ready. (with the greatest respect to Muldoon.)
    I would rather a top quality league 1 midfielder (like Hollands and Stephens were in our title year) than Crofts or anyone else.

Blucher said:

I would rather a top quality league 1 midfielder (like Hollands and Stephens were in our title year) than Crofts or anyone else.
    Spot on. There's the difference.
  • seth plum said:

Plebs usually get thrown bread and circuses, we just get the bread.

We might not have a whole circus but we've certainly got the clowns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Every player we ever sign gets slated on here and I'm sick of it only had a quick look on here and it's all doom and gloom
    Where's Colin
    I'm Going back to work

Well said !!! I agree
  • SDAddick said:

Is he the box to box midfielder we need?

Not really IMO. But, he provides cover for Diarra and Kashi, which we need. The question of course will be where he is in our pecking order. If he's behind Kashi, Diarra, JJ, and 1-2 more (ideally with a creative streak), then I think it's ok.
    Is that cover on the pitch or cover in the treatment room?
  • Very similar response on here to when we signed Yann Kermorgant. Albeit, Yann was a bit of an unknown quantity, but proof that there are good, slightly older players out there.
  • Yes I think we might be a bit unfair to crofts I think he seem decent but chRlton is doom and gloom nowadays
  • One hand on the trophy after this signing, come on you reds!! Keep up the good business.
  • I really think he'll be a useful squad man. Could even be a player of the season candidate if he stays fit. But it's the other holes in the squad that concerns me.
    If we buy a Ajose AND a Crofts, great.
    But if the thinking from here on in is 'let's tighten the purse strings now Rus. Just freebies and non desirables'....we're fucked.
  • Seen him three times now. Welling, Bromley and on the Anzi stream.

IMO he is no better than what we already have, is going to be a squad man at best. If Diarra and Kashi get fit he is not going to play.

Not the signing of a team with top six aspirations.

IMO he is no better than what we already have, is going to be a squad man at best. If Diarra and Kashi get fit he is not going to play.

Like you said, "if Diarra and Kashi get fit"........................
  • edited July 2016

Seen him three times now. Welling, Bromley and on the Anzi stream.

Yet surely we need Squad players...?

Or has everyone forgotten how weak we were when we got plagued with injuries last season?

At the moment its all IF IF IF... I reckon Kashi wont be back till February once he's back to full fitness which means we need someone to replace him
  • Sponsored links:

Yet surely we need Squad players...?

Or has everyone forgotten how weak we were when we got plagued with injuries last season?
    Squad players are hardly priority signings at the moment.

My fear is he's seen as a more reliable option than Kashi or Diarra and one or both will be moved on.
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016
    Central defensive midfielder cover for Diarra and Kashi, for if / when Kashi recovers fitness.

Good luck to Crofts.
  • edited July 2016
    Crofts signed, Buxton to follow. Then season long loans and freebies
  • LoOkOuT said:

Roger Johnson got 18 months lol.

Is he sharing a cell with Nathan Ashton?
  • I will sleep better tonight now!
  • edited July 2016
    Just heard the news, reminded me of that rush of excitement I got when we signed Di Canio.
  • Good luck to him, but he stinks a bit of a Mark Gower type spent force.
    Hope I'm wrong.