Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SPL: Final Round of matches

Anyone following this? The last round of matches is tonight...

Realistically the title is Celtic's to lose, while Rangers need to win while Celtic lose/draw, or somehow score five more goals than Celtic if they both win.

Comments

• And with around 25 minutes left:

Dundee United 0-0 Celtic
    Aberdeen 1-0 Rangers
  • Dundee United 0-1 Celtic

Inswinging corner from left by-line taken right-footed by Paul Hartley (Celtic) to centre, headed goal by Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic) (low centre of goal) from centre of penalty area (12 yards).Dundee Utd 0-1 Celtic. Assist (cross) by Paul Hartley (Celtic) from left by-line.
  • Aberdeen 2-0 Rangers

Looks like the fixture pile up at the end of the season has taken its toll on Rangers.
  • you talking to yourself again.
  • i do it.
  • edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Looks like the fixture pile up at the end of the season has taken its toll on Rangers.

dead on their feet, absolutely nothing left and some very questionable "tactics" from Smith

at this rate you can see Saturday being a bloody close run thing
  • Smith has done well to rejuvenate Rangers this year and the fixture pile up of the last few weeks is a consequence of a good season. There must be more than a few knackered players in their changing room and Smith has got to pick those who are freshest rather than his best team, that doesn't necessarily make for a balanced team and dictates what tactics/formation he has to play.

I'm no Rangers fan, but they deserve to win the Final on Sunday, it'd be criminal if they get this far without winning anything.

And well done to Celtic for plugging away, a few weeks back it looked unlikely that they'd win the SPL.
  • edited May 2008
    I just think Kris Boyd has been horrendously underplayed, always gets a goal when he's out there and the one up front does not cut the mustard in the SPL

Little things add up... the 90th min and some Celtic winner a few weeks ago, careless points dropped against Motherwell and Hibs to name a few and most of all the ridiculous run of games...

I hope they win on Saturday, or as you say, it would be criminal to have been looking at a quadruple this time last week and now be left with a League Cup and effectively 3 lost finals
  • Sponsored links:

• Last round of matches on a thursday night. genius.
  • Played on thursday night and they've got the cup final on saturday afternoon? Surely it could've been played on sunday. Read somewhere that Queen of the south haven't played for 3 weeks. Rangers must have played about 10 games in that time.
  • Aberdeen had not played for 13 days upto last night, not their fault but the SPL's
  • I see the Torys won the by-election, at least someone in blue has won something this week ;-)
  • edited May 2008
    I don't want to sound paranoid or a sore loser but having witnessed it all first hand I would like to draw your attention to the catalogue of refereeing and linesmen decisions that won points for Celtic in their last few games, blatant wrong decisions that have been proved with photos/TV etc..one referee even said " I knew he was offside but I didn't want to overule my assistant"...can you believe that? It all stems from Strachan complaining about referees, something that Rangers never do preferring the "dignified silence", it is Strachans job to complain and well done to him but the officials have been nothing short of cheats. Rangers did falter and dropped points at the death but Celtic won at least 8 points they should never have got.
    Rangers have got to use their massive weight and take a leaf from Rangers fan Alec Ferguson and get on the backs of officials, in todays football you have to do that if you are going to compete!
  • What about the Dundee Utd. game though?

Swings and roundabouts
  • edited May 2008
    Yes, I agree Rangers did get 2 decisions in that game that possibly gained them the win, Celtic have gained points in several games on the spin including, most importantly 2 Old Firm games through shocking decisions. What about Mark McGhee, manager of Motherwell fielding a weakened side against his beloved Celtic, dropping every player with Rangers "sympathies" that would have bust a gut to win the game, even then Celtic only scored their late winner from a corner that was proved to be a goal kick, I bet the ref was panicking with the clock ticking away and Celtic only drawing!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Yes, I agree Rangers did get 2 decisions in that game that possibly gained them the win, Celtic have gained points in several games on the spin including, most importantly 2 Old Firm games through shocking decisions. What about Mark McGhee, manager of Motherwell fielding a weakened side against his beloved Celtic, dropping every player with Rangers "sympathies" that would have bust a gut to win the game, even then Celtic only scored their late winner from a corner that was proved to be a goal kick, I bet the ref was panicking with the clock ticking away and Celtic only drawing![/quote]

I blame the Vatican.
  • Please learn to quote properly.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]I see the Torys won the by-election, at least someone in blue has won something this week ;-)

Guinness- A good Proddy family...
  • Sponsored links:

• "Guinness- A good Proddy family..."

We're talking Rangers V Celtic here, don't bring religion into it!

LOL
  • cant believe the season was not extended as rangers were doing so well for scotland in the european cup,thought that was rather mean.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]I see the Torys won the by-election, at least someone in blue has won something this week ;-)

Guinness- A good Proddy family...

I think you find that they were Catholics who had to change to get on in Ireland.
  • 2 games to go, level on points, Celtic with a 2 better goal difference.

Remaining games:

Rangers v Aberdeen
    Hibernian v Celtic

Celtic v Hearts
    Dundee United v Rangers
  • You have to fancy Rangers with those fixtures.
  • Hibs will give Celtic a game, the same way they did Rangers last night. There is no love lost between Edinburgh and the Weegie teams but I reckon Celtic will nick it bearing in mind what is at stake. I expect Rangers to beat Aberdeen at home although it might have been a different story had it been at Pittodrie.

That leaves a last day decider and Dundee United could well throw a spanner in the works for Wally Smith's men. How I loathe that man for how useless he was at Everton.
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]Hibs will give Celtic a game, the same way they did Rangers last night. There is no love lost between Edinburgh and the Weegie teams but I reckon Celtic will nick it bearing in mind what is at stake. I expect Rangers to beat Aberdeen at home although it might have been a different story had it been at Pittodrie.

That leaves a last day decider and Dundee United could well throw a spanner in the works for Wally Smith's men. How I loathe that man for how useless he was at Everton.

Your right about Edinburgh and weegies, but unfortunately, as like Aberdeen, Hibs hate Rangers more, but does that cross onto the pitch rather than the terraces?

Hibs can still upset ***tic, but I now rest my hopes on Rangers pumping the sheep at Ibrox 4 or 5 nil, and then hoping that Hibs can at least gain a point on Sunday.
  • I just hope they don't blow it like last year!!!
  • I don't know why they bother to even kick off at the start of the season. They should just share it and save all the trouble :-)

2 goal difference after all those games.

Now where's that thread about the most boring sport :-) SPL?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I don't know why they bother to even kick off at the start of the season. They should just share it and save all the trouble :-)

2 goal difference after all those games.

Now where's that thread about the most boring sport :-) SPL?[/quote]

Sureley it's more exciting than The English Prem which is wrapped up with 2 or 3 games to go at the very least ? From a competitive point of view having two teams from 12 who can still win it is better than having 1 from 20 ?

Oh and Rangers will win it with Celtic Drawing against the jambo's on the last day and Rangers hammersing United 5-0...