Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Extreme weather,climate change,global warming 4 People DEAD.

With the extreme weather conditions taking place in the north of england in which it has been confirmed that 4 people have been killed what does the forum think about climate change and so called global warming.The debate will not go away but are you convinced with what you are being told?

Comments

• We live in the UK, we have always had extreme weather conditions at the strangest times. We always will.
    Call it what you like but it's no different today than it's always been,
  • We live in the atmosphere of the sun ... so if it heats up a bit we all heat up... Carbon dictates 0.00000000001 of the atmosphere.......

False economy ... I think its good were trying to tidy our back yard abit and be less damaging to the environment, but the reality is there is now 6 billion people here as opposed to 1 billion about 500 years ago which is obviously gonna heat the place up atouch..

This Carbon hatred thing I think is a load of old rubbish... I think we do need to completely alter the way we consume energy though... you got a load of massive oceans and wind powere creating huge quantities of energy untapped and instead we drill... dont make no sense to me?
  • edited June 2007
    Global warming is happening - fact.

Caused by man/fossil fuels - unproven and unlikely in my view.

Most likely cause - increased sunspot activity.

Why do I say this? Because twenty years ago scientists thought we were about to enter a new ice age. Sunspot activity was low. In the 80's and 90's sunspot activity has increased.

Too much money is now riding on it being due to fossil fuels/greenhouse gases. Its like the Emperors new clothes. Virtually everybody is afraid to say this. Those who do are denounced as heretics.

I am pro conservation, pro energy saving and "green issues" because they are broadly good ideals in their own right. The powers to be are using the "global catastrophe" warnings to frighten people to change because they cannot win the intellectual arguments sufficiently on their own to pursuade people to change their behaviours.

As for the events of the last few days, these have nothing to do with any climate change. These sorts of things happen from time to time. Check out for further reading, "The Weather in Kent" by Bob Ogley. Extreme weather events have been recorded since the 10th Century and have always occured.
  • edited June 2007
    Bing Im with you, thats what I was trying to say....Sunspot activity=hotter sun (loosely)

I think your a bit more articulate than me....

Ive looked at both sides of the story and Im with bing...I was expecting to be shot down then
  • Bing...you are confusing two things, sunspot activity and manmade global warming. Undoubtedly the earth is warming and its likely that there are more than one cause, but the increase in carbon fuels use over the last few decades has increased this. Carbon absorbs heat and stays in the atmosphere and that is making the earth hotter.

The IPCC (the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), which is made up of a number of experts on climate change and who have conducted thousands have hours of tests and experiments have concluded that man is most likely to be responsible.

Read the evidence from the experts:

http://www.ipcc.ch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergovernmental_Panel_on_Climate_Change

Of course on the other side the big petroleum firms have been sponsoring the naysayers who are quick to put the blame anywhere else other than on increased use of carbon fuels, I wonder why that is...
  • A very tongue in cheek book but i enjoyed it for a bit of light reading. there are some facts in it and it does get you thinking to a certain extent:

http://www.crichton-official.com/books-stateoffear.html
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Global warming is happening - fact.

Caused by man/fossil fuels - unproven and unlikely in my view.

Most likely cause - increased sunspot activity.

Sorry ..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6290228.stm
  • Climate change could have a domino effect on key infrastructure in the UK, government advisers have warned.
    In a 2,000-page report, the Climate Change Committee says flooding will destroy bridges - wrecking electricity, gas and IT connections carried on them.
    The committee also warns that poor farming means the most fertile soils will be badly degraded by mid-century.
    And it says heat-related deaths among the elderly will triple by the 2050s as summer temperatures spiral.
    The projections are based on the supposition that governments keep promises made at the Paris climate conference to cut emissions - a pledge that is in doubt.
    The committee says if emissions are allowed to spiral, London summer temperatures could hit 48C (118F) in an extreme scenario, although the advisers say they don't expect that to happen.
    The report from 80 authors is the most comprehensive yet on the potential impact of climate change on the UK.
  • Counter-intuitively global warming will actually cool the UK. The reason is that we are actually warmer than we should be for how northerly we actually are, and it's the jet stream that produces that warming effect. As polar ice melts the artic sea will become less salty and the temperate of both the water and air above will change, effecting the route of jet stream and leaving us the wrong side of it (as it were), and giving us cooler weather.

Of course, local effects change peoples viewpoint. They see a cold summer's day and instantly reject global warming, but global average temperatures continue to rise every year.

The only current silver lining is the Ozone layer hole has pretty much gone now, thanks to the ban on CFCs, which mean less UV getting through and a little less heat.

On geological scales of course, unless there is a run-away greenhouse effect (see Venus) then things will self correct. More heat = more evaporation of the oceans = more cloud = less sunlight getting through and warming the surface = less heat.
  • Things will self-correct after a mass extinction event that probably includes us
  • Sponsored links:

• I think there will be greater extremes Randy, as the moderating effect of the Gulf Stream may well be lost.
    At least that's what the experts seem to be predicting
  • pole shift is underway
  • Some of those outcomes do seem to be hyperbole though, the far end of possibilities.

I agree with the farming concerns, but that's down to intensive farming practices, rather than climate change
  • I blame brexit
  • This summer has been an absolute scorcher !
  • I think there will be greater extremes Randy, as the moderating effect of the Gulf Stream may well be lost.
    At least that's what the experts seem to be predicting

I agree, from a very simple point of view heat == energy, you put more energy into an already chaotic system and the result is inevitably more chaos, more extremes, etc.
  • This will cheer everyone up - taken from Reddit, in a very long conversation about climate change from earlier this year.

"the oceans are dying.

my hobby is volunteering at the local aquarium, I'm not supposed to focus on depressing facts, but gosh I somehow sure do have an awful lot of them, where to start?

there's been a massive sea star die off going on for the past three years from Alaska to California, possibly elsewhere but nobody started looking until recreational divers off Canada noticed the corpses. almost all species have been affected, it's bacterial but nobody knows exactly what bacteria, [edit, I have been corrected in the comments, it's Densovirus] could be a lot of different things because the linking factor seems to be sea water temperature going up and that ruining their little immune systems.

the salmon aren't coming back, there hasn't been enough fish in the cedar river to open recreational fishing since 2008, and every species is trending downwards over time. the problem is the dams and the dams aren't coming out for fish, not when they keep this area running on "green power".

the biggest threat to orcas, after the loss of the overall biomass of prey species, is whale watching boats. the legal limits aren't enough to not stress the animals and pilots will flout them for money.

every sea wall somebody puts up means less eelgrass habitat for little fish, and more flat surfaces only fit for jelly-polyps. every year there's more jellies and less herring. what eats herring? everything.

plastic erodes like anything else, but when it does the particles don't sink, they float among the plankton and get eaten with them.

sea turtles eat plastic bags but what kills them is the resulting horrible tumorous growths in their bodies.

carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is getting to the point where it can't be captured and fixed by sea critters growing shells, and instead the carbonic acid erodes and deforms what shells they can grow at the larval stage. the species we are going to loose from this would have been vital to solving the carbon dioxide problem.

don't get me started on bycatch

if you want to help: don't eat fish unless you know where it came from, recycle your plastics, pick up trash, don't release balloons, don't waste electricity, and for all our sakes,

throw your seashells back into the ocean.

edit and faq

sea stars are what many of you call "starfish" they are not however, actual fish. hence the name change.

throwing your seashells back returns the calcium to the ocean, the plankton needs calcium, give it back. bones are also good.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/ is your resource for sustainable seafood, you can also eat invasive species. the best fish is the one you catch yourself on a line.

I am not an actual scientist, I am a volunteer interpreter surrounded by scientists. actual biologists would never say anything as heavy handed as I do, they like to leave room for if they happen to be wrong (but they're usually not wrong.) this can come across as wishy-washy to the general public, so I don't bother. there are also a lot of biologists responding to this thread if you want to talk to a real scientist.

farmed fish are not better than wild caught. hatcheries are good though.

shark finning is also awful. don't eat shark fin soup. boycott places that sell it.

nitrogen runoff is also aweful. don't fertilize your lawn, grow mushrooms to capture agricultural runoff.

the fish oil trade is also awful. don't eat fish oil capsules if you don't know where they came from. if you need omega3s try eating oily fish lower on the food chain, herring, sardines, anchovies, things like that.

if you want to fact check me, google is right there. this is not hidden information. I'm on mobile so posting links is a pain, also I am not a scientist, this is not a scientific paper, this is a sad and angry screed. google is also your friend if you have some weird regional question. I know stuff about my area, not so much on everywhere else."

• London Temperature May Hit 118 degrees*

*although probably not.
  • Sponsored links:

• There hasn't been any warming for the last 15 - 20 yrs
  • What does Shay Given think?
  • edited July 2016
  • Daggs said:

There hasn't been any warming for the last 15 - 20 yrs

That's why trying to understand a bit of the science behind climate change is a good idea - as the wiki article below explains the so-called 15 year 'global warming hiatus' is not as straightforward as simple headlines might suggest.

As it says at the end of it's introduction :

"Independent of these discussions about data and measurements for earlier years, 2015 turned out to be much warmer than any of the earlier years, already before El Niño conditions started. The warmth of 2015 largely ended any remaining scientific credibility of claims that the supposed "hiatus" since 1998 had any significance for the long term warming trend".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_hiatus
  • Let's cut the 'experts' out for a moment and consider this: From the 'everyday' evidence before us (both where we live, and via factual reporting of weather events around the world), is it not apparent and beyond doubt that humankind and its seemingly insatiable desire for 'more, more, more' has seriously screwed our planet? Torrential rain is an age-old phenomenon. I suggest that its frequency has greatly increased in recent times. Meanwhile, some areas of the world are subject to increasing desertification. I consider all this less a 'natural phenomenon' and more as being caused by greed and ignorance.

Over population is also a major cause of environmental problems.
  • Read in my paper last week, that they have been keeping an eye on a reversal of the Ozone layer. They seem to think that it could be repairing itsself and they feel that what most have been doing is having a effect but very slowly.
    If this is true I just hope people don't think, thats ok then, we aint got to worry. But we do and more untill it can repair altogehter, did any one else read this.?
  • Read in my paper last week, that they have been keeping an eye on a reversal of the Ozone layer. They seem to think that it could be repairing itsself and they feel that what most have been doing is having a effect but very slowly.
    If this is true I just hope people don't think, thats ok then, we aint got to worry. But we do and more untill it can repair altogehter, did any one else read this.?

Yes, I think many did.