Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spitfire!

I live near Longfield and everyday a Spitfire flies overhead 2 or 3 times a day. I think it is a two seater and flies out of Biggin Hill taking passengers who pay big money for a short flight.

People always seem to recognise the sound and happily point towards it. Personally it brings me back bad memories of the war, one of the buggers shot me down when I was in the Luftwaffe.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

What a very strange post.

I am strange, but it flew over just when I was reading CL which prompted me. Its still nice to regularly see a 70 year old icon of a plane fly overhead.
  • edited July 2016
    Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Doing a bit of research into Concorde this morning I cant believe a few years ago that it was voted as the best British design beating the likes of the Mini / Tube Map / Jaguar E-Type and the Spitfire... Despite being a damned good plane nothing can ever beat the Spitfire for me, magnificent aircraft!!
  • Like the beer!
  • Yeah it was mainly the Luftwaffe ending to your post that made it strange!
  • Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Doing a bit of research into Concorde this morning I cant believe a few years ago that it was voted as the best British design beating the likes of the Mini / Tube Map / Jaguar E-Type and the Spitfire... Despite being a damned good plane nothing can ever beat the Spitfire for me, magnificent aircraft!!

Personally I also favour the Spit, and the Mosquito. People seem to forget that Concorde was half french.
  • There was a small engine plane flying around south west London all this morning whilst sensible people were still in bed, perhaps it was your spitfire looking for bandits
  • My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Personally I also favour the Spit, and the Mosquito. People seem to forget that Concorde was half french.
    Spitfire and Avro Lancaster for me... Beauties both of them!!
  • Think of it as the worlds most expensive taxi ride.
  • Spitfires are indeed protected. It is an offence not only to kill them, but also to deliberately disturb or interfere with them.

Explain to your mother no Spitfire will enter her house, they are far too timid.

You should be honoured to have such a wonderful creature visit your garden/pond.

I'm equally honoured as one (or possibly two) bask in my pond.
  • My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

I'd pay the little bit more to learn to fly so I can fly one myself :)
  • Halix said:

The De Havilland museum in London Colney is well worth a visit.
  • Halix said:

I live near Longfield and everyday a Spitfire flies overhead 2 or 3 times a day. I think it is a two seater and flies out of Biggin Hill taking passengers who pay big money for a short flight.

People always seem to recognise the sound and happily point towards it. Personally it brings me back bad memories of the war, one of the buggers shot me down when I was in the Luftwaffe.

Oi Fritz, do you know anything about the damage to our chip shop. ;)
    @Dazzler21, I can't speak for Halix. But anyone 16/17 in the 70s when starting work were constantly reminded by older generations that lived through or fought during the war exactly how lucky we are. Like most 16/17 year olds at the time we thought they were talking *hite but we now know different. I saw the humour intent straight away but I'm nearly 10 years older than you ;)
  • There was a small engine plane flying around south west London all this morning whilst sensible people were still in bed, perhaps it was your spitfire looking for bandits

Probably one of the GCHQ planes (Islanders I think) that operate out of RAF Northholt. I believe they have highly sophisticated monitoring equipment which can even match voice prints on mobile phone calls.

Anyway, back to Spitfires. A couple of days ago one "buzzed" my house at quite low level before doing a loop and barrel roll. And then completed a few more aerobatics before flying off with a Hurricane as his wingman. It was like a free airshow!

However many years ago it was that all jet aircraft were grounded because of the Iceland volcano, all was peace and quite until a Messerschmitt Bf 109 flew over at low level. I didn't even know that there were any still airworthy.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Yeah it was mainly the Luftwaffe ending to your post that made it strange!

strange, but rather amusing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

The De Havilland museum in London Colney is well worth a visit.
    Agreed. Two RR Merlins sound better than one.

Just the most wonderfully designed and capable aircraft and far more versatile than the Spit.

• edited July 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

Bloody hell! If this a a strange post, I dread to think what you would call a lot of the other stuff on here?
  • edited July 2016

Dazzler21 said:

Bloody hell! If this a a strange post, I dread to think what you would call a lot of the other stuff on here?
    VERY VERY strange... nah the joke just went way up and over my head.
  • edited July 2016
    As a tax payer, i hope it strafed a gaggle of asylum seekers on it's second pass? The buggers!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

VERY VERY strange... nah the joke just went way up and over my head.
    Oh bless!! (Touché)
  • Son has a spitfire cricket bat (made in Kent).

On the back is written "why the Germans don't play cricket".

Made me smile.
  • "Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."
  • skywalker said:

"Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."

Yet more Hawker Hurricanes were built...
  • Well I think this post shows that Charlton fans are much more than just a bunch of trainspotters, were also a bunch of plane spotters.