Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bromley v Charlton | Tue 12 July | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bromley v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 12th July 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Pre-Season Friendly

Introduction

So that’s one friendly match down meaning that Russell Slade now only has seven more matches in which to work with his team, to find out who his best players are and what the best tactics will be once the first game of the season arrives on our doorsteps… Of course it’s not as simple as that, matches against Non-League opposition aren’t about the number of goals you can score but at this stage is solely about match fitness.

Come Leyton Orient and Ipswich Town later in the month there will be much more emphasis on who will be starting against Bury but as already mentioned, this Tuesday night we move on to the second of our Non-League friendlies, against our other Kent neighbours: Bromley

The Opposition
Name: Bromley | Ground: Hayes Lane
Manager: Neil Smith
Friendly Results:
- Dulwich Hamlet 4-2 Bromley ... 9th July 2016

Sadly much of the talk from the Welling friendly wasn’t so much about what happened on the pitch rather than what happened off the pitch, hopefully there will be no repeat of that tonight yet it astounds me that the likes of Olly Groome and @LouisMend get abused for the way they report of the regime yet get clean free from the fact that Bromley appear to be their second team

For a number of years now, fans from League clubs tend to follow their nearest Non-League side and tend to adopt them, so for example Welling are connected with Charlton whilst Bromley seem to be attached to Crystal Palace!! (Traitors)… Jokes aside I can only hope I do them and other Bromley supporting Addicks justice for this Preview.

Founded in 1892, Bromley came along well before we did yet whilst Charlton took the decision to join the Football League; Bromley on the other hand decided to remain a Non-League side (being one of the founders of the Southern League)…

For the entirety of their history; Bromley drifted around the mid Non-League pyramid yet in 2015 they would achieve promotion to the Conference for the very first time in their history, for long periods it would look as though the Ravens would achieve a Play-Off spot but they would drop away earning a respectable mid-table position… Now as they enter the 2016/17 season with Welling / Dartford and Ebbsfleet in a lower Division, Bromley can now claim to be Kent’s third best team with only Gillingham and Dover above them!!

Charlton Team News
Going by previous seasons, the Welling game is usually reserved for the First-Team with a few youngsters thrown in whilst Bromley is usually a game for the youngsters with a few First-Teamers being thrown in… Of course that theory will probably be thrown out of the window yet here are a few possibilities.

Goalkeepers: Dimitar Mitov was left on the bench against Welling so should make an appearance tomorrow night whilst the other half could be given to Dillon Phillips if fit.

Defence: Roger Johnson played more minutes than anyone on Saturday so will be surely rested… Terrell Thomas played fewer minutes than anyone else so will probably be given another run out.

Midfield: There was no appearance from Regan Charles-Cook on Saturday so unless injured he’ll no doubt play whilst you’d also expect to see the likes of George Lapslie; Andrew Crofts might be given another 45-minutes as he’ll be looking to try and impress for a Contract

Attack: Again both Josh Umerah and Mikhail Kennedy were left on the bench against Welling on Saturday so no doubt will be called into action this Tuesday evening.

Prediction
These are almost impossible for pre-season friendlies, and nor will you get a match prediction from me for the season ahead… Both sides meet regularly in pre-season and in the Kent Senior Cup these days so there should be no surprises from Bromley so even if a young squad is put out, you’d expect another win for Russell Slade’s side.

For those who are going to Austria, enjoy… So long, farewell… Auf Widersehem adieu

Comments

• Have to admit I was shocked to see that Bromley had hired Neil Smith as their Manager at the end of last season.

Was given the Welling job a good few years ago now (When they were in the Conference South) and was awful
  • #WeAreBromley
  • The number of the bus is £350m, I think.

• Should be a harder test than Saturday given how far superior Bromley is as a team not forgetting as a place to live, gain an education, eat out etc.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
  • Buses 118 or 314 from Bromley South both go past the entrance to the ground in Hayes Lane.
  • edited July 2016
    It's 119 not 118. You'll be waiting a long time for a 118, as it runs Brixton/Streatham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should be a harder test than Saturday given how far superior Bromley is as a team not forgetting as a place to live, gain an education, eat out etc.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
    In the land of the humourless the Whoooosh is king
  • It's 119 not 118. You'll be waiting a long time for a 118, as it runs Brixton/Streatham.

Oops, sorry! Yes, 119!
  • You see if Bromley were a proper team they'd have a train station and there would none of this confusion!!
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Charlton fans having a liking for Bromley, is like Charlton fans supporting Surrey at cricket. A symptom of closet stripey tendencies :smile:
  • You see if Bromley were a proper team they'd have a train station and there would none of this confusion!!

It has two
  • Charlton fans having a liking for Bromley, is like Charlton fans supporting Surrey at cricket. A symptom of closet stripey tendencies :smile:

"Come on the Rey".
  • Olly said on here that Bromley would most likely follow the same format ad Welling ie two mixed teams in each half.

Should be a harder test than Saturday given how far superior Bromley is as a team not forgetting as a place to live, gain an education, eat out etc. Bromley despite being a tory stronghold also voted remain.

Two bars in the ground as well as food which is just as well as Hayes Lane is a residential area. Nearest pubs in Hayes village or more accessible for most Charlton fans Bromley South. There is a black cab rank outside Bromley Sth if you don't fancy the 20-25 minute walk to the ground. No idea if Uber is available but there is a bus. Can't remember the number but it is red.

Neil Smith has changed the team over the summer and there will be a few Bromley players looking to impress but if we played the same teams as Saturday I predict a 2 - 0 win for Charlton.

They knocked down Bonus Pastor then?

• Sponsored links:

• Oi take that back
  • Is there going to be commentary for this? I know, I'm like a junkie with an addiction.
  • Struggling to see the value at £15 a ticket.
  • Struggling to see the value at £15 a ticket.

Do you get a meal or a hostess included in the £15 ?

This is a friendly between a non league and lower league side.
  • Oi take that back

Tongue firmly in cheek....Speaking as a pupil many moons ago. Besides it's in Downham anyway lol
  • Ok haha x
  • edited July 2016

Charlton fans having a liking for Bromley, is like Charlton fans supporting Surrey at cricket. A symptom of closet stripey tendencies :smile:

Oi you! Watch it!
  • Was thinking about going but 15 quid is wrong and I feel no affiliation to Bromley whatsoever - palace territory
  • I stop at Bromley south on my way back to Kent each day.. so if I manage to get out of work at a reasonable time I will probably pop in...
  • I'm going. If only to get a break from our new kitten which is driving me mental! It would be less demanding having a baby in the house.