Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CRAY WANDERS PLANNING APPLICATION

Hi Guys

just had an emeil from Cray Wanders that their planning application has been called in by the Secretary of State for final approval following the New Mayor of London recommending refusal to Bromley Council.

Can anybody tell me why it was refused by Sadiq Khan and for what reason apart from getting back at Bromley Council.

What are your thoughts.

Bring back Boris !!

Comments

• It maybe because the owner is a Crystal Palace supporter.
  • Khan needs all available land for housing. The UK needs 50,000 new homes a year to keep up with demand.
    No space for new football stadia.
  • Followed this last week. Pretty disgusting. Passed every stage of approval stage yet at the final point Khan just vetoed it. So basically a an under utilised sports ground can't be developed into a properly developed sports ground.

As said above, strongly suggested he wants it for social housing.
  • Khan said he doesn't want to build on green belt land.
  • Wouldn't be so bad but you know that land will sit there vacant for years to come - were going to build quite a few community pitches as well do would have benefitted many - I'm all for relaxing the green belt - there's plenty of room, no need to keep building higher
  • Hi Guys

just had an emeil from Cray Wanders that their planning application has been called in by the Secretary of State for final approval following the New Mayor of London recommending refusal to Bromley Council.

Can anybody tell me why it was refused by Sadiq Khan and for what reason apart from getting back at Bromley Council.

What are your thoughts.

Bring back Boris !!

Apparently refused because within Green Belt and because none of the 28 residential units were to be affordable. I don't know the ins and outs but on the face of it, slightly surprised it got past Bromley - it's against their own planning policies as well as London's and national planning policy (although there are always exceptions of course).
  • It wasn't refused for it being a sports ground ( that is actually a valid reason in planning policy)

It was refused because Bromley council designate that part of the borough to be in the greenbelt. One of Khan's policies was to restrict greenbelt development and it looks like he has used this to make a statement rather than actually follow national planning policy.

• The scheme was all wrong - underground car parking? Not economical in that location
  • There's shit loads of land that can be built upon, half the Greenwich Peninsula, the half derelict industrial land between the Anchor and Hope and Woolwich Arsenal, there's loads beimg built on the north side of the river too like LDN E14 etc. And that's just this tiny part of the world. Anyway if it got through everyone up to the Mayor then surely the local council was find with it, so why was it vetoed?
  • AC said:

It wasn't refused for it being a sports ground ( that is actually a valid reason in planning policy)

It was refused because Bromley council designate that part of the borough to be in the greenbelt. One of Khan's policies was to restrict greenbelt development and it looks like he has used this to make a statement rather than actually follow national planning policy.

National planning policy DOES prohibit development in the green belt (unless there are special circumstances). That's pretty much what the green belt is for - to prevent development on it.

• Sponsored links:

• Important part of the community this would be. Sounds as if those involved may have got a little greedy with the cost of the residential aspect.
  • edited July 2016
    Am I right in thinking they're looking to develop the old Flamingos Park site as their new stadium?
  • edited July 2016
    mickc said:

It maybe because the owner is a Crystal Palace supporter.

Hahahahahaha.

He used to be a customer of mine, Gary Hillman.

Very successful in the building game.
  • So if Khan can stop that can he stop the Old Park Farm development in Sidcup?
  • Am I right in thinking they're looking to develop the old Flamingos Park site as their new stadium?

Yes mate, could have met you in the Charcoal :-)
  • So if Khan can stop that can he stop the Old Park Farm development in Sidcup?

He has the power to call in any application - but it does rather undermine the planning system.
  • Old Farm Park is not designated as Green Belt, Bexley Council are rubbish though how much land is there close to the river in the North awaiting development they choose a little park by the railway....
  • A real shame, Spent my childhood in Orpington and remember going to see Cray Wanderers at their old ground in Chelsfield Lane. A few of my family played for them in the late40's and 50's. Had some great afternoons watching them play in the old Metropolitan League against teams from West Ham, Arsenal and Tottenham.
  • addick05 said:

A real shame, Spent my childhood in Orpington and remember going to see Cray Wanderers at their old ground in Chelsfield Lane. A few of my family played for them in the late40's and 50's. Had some great afternoons watching them play in the old Metropolitan League against teams from West Ham, Arsenal and Tottenham.

I live in Chelsfield and used to go there as a kid. It's a shame that they have no home of their own but if they keep looking .................fingers crossed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    Did you know he's he son of a bus driver?
  • It's bull crap what Kahn did. Flamingo Park is a complete shithole, and week after week it's left trashed due to those ghastly car boot sales and as a fly tipping area. Not to mention the four/five people that have died running across the road.

Turning it into a new sports centre and football stadium, with better crossing of the A20 was the best idea that shitheap of land can accommodate for.
  • Khan said he doesn't want to build on green belt land.

His manicurist told him it would play havoc with his nails.
  • It's bull crap what Kahn did. Flamingo Park is a complete shithole, and week after week it's left trashed due to those ghastly car boot sales and as a fly tipping area. Not to mention the four/five people that have died running across the road.

Turning it into a new sports centre and football stadium, with better crossing of the A20 was the best idea that shitheap of land can accommodate for.

Wooden goalposts and ankle breaking pitches is what I remember Flamingo Park for......

Wooden goalposts and ankle breaking pitches is what I remember Flamingo Park for......
    Ruptured my ankle ligaments there in '95.

Have to remember that terrible, super uncool nightclub
  • One of the first things I did as a manager was to move the team from that 'ground', to Hall place, hardly a wonderful set of pitches, but a 500% improvement on the changing rooms and pitch quality.
  • Cray finally got approval from the GLA to build a new ground at Flamingo Park.

Gonna feel odd with a football ground in walking distance
  • Cray finally got approval from the GLA to build a new ground at Flamingo Park.

Good, about bloody time.

You'd have to walk across the A20 wouldn't you ? A bit dangerous :wink: